The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

View Poll Results: Are the toll stations in your area automatic?
yes 8 72.73%
no 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Regent Pancras
Gin Monstrosity

Nation: Unification
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: RegentPancras

Default Re: Toll stations study

In the UK we don't have many toll roads. There is a short section of Motorway (freeway) north of Birmingham which has a toll, and this is collected by a mixture of staffed and unstaffed lanes which accept a variety of payment methods.

You can find out about it HERE

Bridges and Tunnels are the other major toll roads and each has local arrangements - there isn't a single form of electronic payment which could be accepted at all facilities - for example the automated tags in use at the Thames Crossing at Dartford would not be compatible with the Tyne Tunnel - but this is some 300 miles away.

The only other major road charge is in London Congestion Charge which has no toll booths as such - it is all recorded electronically by ANPR cameras and the driver must pay the charge at a shop or post office by 10pm the following day, or get a fine.
In Peace: Goodwill.

GMT+1

WHERE IS MY FUCKING MEDAL?

Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Regent Pancras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
bigdaddychacha
Legion's Resident War Criminal

Nation: New Prospect Korea

In South Korea, there are toll booths on some highways. Usually there are 5 or 6 toll lanes and sometimes a bit of a slowdown or wait. One day I was riding with a friend in his sporty car with the top down and we came up on a toll booth doing about 50 or 60 mph, I figure, and I was all freaking out because I thought we were going to hit somebody or get in trouble for running the toll booth like you do in GTA:IV and stuff, but after we passed it, he explained to me that he had this automatic toll thing attached to his windshield, so we missed the whole crowd that was manually going through the human toll booths. I guess it's nice to have the option.
Tetris WarNuclear Survivor
bigdaddychacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS
10th Legion Gemina...Julius Caesar's Men

Nation: TERRA ROMANORVM

Discord name: Josephivs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddychacha View Post
In South Korea, there are toll booths on some highways. Usually there are 5 or 6 toll lanes and sometimes a bit of a slowdown or wait. One day I was riding with a friend in his sporty car with the top down and we came up on a toll booth doing about 50 or 60 mph, I figure, and I was all freaking out because I thought we were going to hit somebody or get in trouble for running the toll booth like you do in GTA:IV and stuff, but after we passed it, he explained to me that he had this automatic toll thing attached to his windshield, so we missed the whole crowd that was manually going through the human toll booths. I guess it's nice to have the option.
Here, when passing through the automatic lane, if you go higher than 55 mph when passing the lane, a sensor camera activates which takes a picture of your license plate and a loud alarm sounds and then 1 of 2 things happen; either you get a nice $100 (and whatever the cost of the toll station was) bill, or a highway patrol car , usually a dodge charger or a mustang will come out of nowhere, give chase to you and pull you over, with a 6'5'' , full of steroids puerto rican angry cop . Same goes if you haven't got the sticker and you decide to go GTA.
Tetris WarIch Dien Silver AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
bigdaddychacha
Legion's Resident War Criminal

Nation: New Prospect Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERATORJOSEPHIVS View Post
Here, when passing through the automatic lane, if you go higher than 55 mph when passing the lane, a sensor camera activates which takes a picture of your license plate and a loud alarm sounds and then 1 of 2 things happen; either you get a nice $100 (and whatever the cost of the toll station was) bill, or a highway patrol car , usually a dodge charger or a mustang will come out of nowhere, give chase to you and pull you over, with a 6'5'' , full of steroids puerto rican angry cop . Same goes if you haven't got the sticker and you decide to go GTA.
And they still call it the land of the free...heh!
bigdaddychacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Jessiebell

Nation: DavesLand

Discord name: Jessie

ummm We dont have any tolls in my ares!
Jessiebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiebell View Post
ummm We dont have any tolls in my ares!
We are a 30 mile x 110 mile approx. size island, and we have 27 toll stations .

update: During the weekend 5,000 more people changed to the new system so there's about 2 million more people left to make the change. Since there are so many people left to do the switch, there was monumental traffic jams over the whole weekend so what we're doing is putting stations where you can buy the sticker/make an account at the malls. Also we have decided to reduce the speed of the auto lanes to 30 mph while people get used to the system and the process is normalized because someone who forgot they don't have money left in their account or they realized "oh shit I don't have a sticker yet!" at the last moment has happened already and a huge accident is sure to take place.
Tetris WarIch Dien Silver AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation

Last edited by JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS; 07-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
Jessiebell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERATORJOSEPHIVS View Post
We are a 30 mile x 110 mile approx. size island, and we have 27 toll stations .

Study update: During the weekend 5,000 more people changed to the new system so there's about 2 million more people left to make the change.
LOL! I live in South Georgia...I am an hour from the nearest freeway(I75) which has no toll....where i come from we drive on dirt roads...and its free!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiebell View Post
LOL! I live in South Georgia...I am an hour from the nearest freeway(I75) which has no toll....where i come from we drive on dirt roads...and its free!
The roads here are supposedly paved. But yeah they're more like dirt roads. I went to New Mexico, to the border and some of the dirt, sand, rock bordes roads had less holes than the ones here.

EDIT: What part of "joe-gia: u from Jessie? I did my basic in Fort Benning and my AIT in Fort Gordon.

Last edited by JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS; 07-26-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Jessiebell

I live in Douglas ...I'm about an hour from Moody AFB and about 2 1/2 ta 3 hours from Fort Stuart

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
stations, study, toll