The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Zyvexal
Legion's Resident Chinaman

Nation: Zyvexal
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Chinese Culture Thread

Hey guys! As you may or may not know, I'm Chinese! And I would love to answer any and all questions you may have about China and Chinese culture. And I don't mean questions that you can find answers to on wikipedia, like "In which Dynasty was the Great Wall built?" I mean questions on the day to day life of a Chinese person, and differences between the Chinese and Western culture. Comon guys, I know you're all curious! Ask away!

P.S. I would prefer serious questions, but fun questions are welcome as well.

P.P.S. By Chinese Culture Questions, I mean Chinese Culture Questions, not Asian Culture Questions. I don't know how Thai people take shits.

P.P.P.S. If you would like to seek advice, I will give you advice based not on my opinions, but on ancient Chinese wisdom passed on through the generations. For more personal advice, you can pm me.
[19:19:52] * @Feibelman cries
的f a single member of a family eats, the whole family will not feel hungry." - Ave Legio!!!!
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonHero of the LegionSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon

Last edited by Zyvexal; 07-14-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Zyvexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Ephemeral
Ornamentum Incursus

Nation: Aphelion Collective

Alliance:
SOS Brigade

Default Re: Chinese Culture Thread

How do Chinese people take shits then

ESPer and Mysterious Transfer Student of the SOS Brigade
MoFA Equivalent

Karma WarForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Ephemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Zyvexal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeral View Post
How do Chinese people take shits then
There are several differences between Chinese bathroom habits and Western ones:

1) Some Chinese bathrooms (usually in older buildings) that's just a hole in the ground... kinda. And you have to squat down:
[media]http://www.cruisesrfun.com/ChinaImages/Dalian/Dalian_Chinese_toilet.jpg[/media]

2) When using normal toilets, younger children in China place their feet on the toilet seat and face toward the wall, thus squatting on the actual toilet, this is partly due to the fact that their asses are too small and thus will fall into the toilet if they sat on it.
的f a single member of a family eats, the whole family will not feel hungry." - Ave Legio!!!!
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonHero of the LegionSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Legionnaire

Nation: Legionia

What does the average Chinese person 'think' about Western culture, or better yet, about its inhabitants, caucasians; Europeans as it is. I'd like if you include the negative aspects as well, as I am well aware they exist.

I understand that 'average' is not always an easy thing to interpret, so I'd like if you at least share the opinion from your immediate cultural surrounding.

Thank you for doing this.
The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Zyvexal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What does the average Chinese person 'think' about Western culture, or better yet, about its inhabitants, caucasians; Europeans as it is. I'd like if you include the negative aspects as well, as I am well aware they exist.

I understand that 'average' is not always an easy thing to interpret, so I'd like if you at least share the opinion from your immediate cultural surrounding.

Thank you for doing this.
Np, this is what the thread is for.

1)Caucasians (American+European): First off, about the government structure + ideological aspect. An average Chinese person does not give a fuck about what Western government structure is like, and he doesn't even think that his own government is better, he is just content, and doesn't waste his time on political ideologies. Secondly, on apperances, Chinese people believe all Caucasians have blond hair and have blue eyes. In their eyes, Caucasians: blue eyes, Everyone else: black eyes. Imagine my surprise when I was still living in China and saw a Russian girl with green eyes. (seeing a White person is already surprise enough). My mom didn't even believe me when I told her that the woman had green eyes. These are the general aspects I will go into now, if you'd like to know more, such as "how Chinese people view Western food", you'd have to ask more specific questions.

2)Blacks: WTF HIS SKIN IS BLACK WTF. (even if the Chinese person knows about them, seeing them is still a surprise). I myself have never seen a black person during my life in China.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Legionnaire

What would be the best way to approach a Chinese girl, are there any cultural queues that one needs to be aware of?

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Zyvexal

What would be the best way to approach a Chinese girl, are there any cultural queues that one needs to be aware of?

Chinese girl in America/anywhere except China: Approach her like you would approach any other girl in your area.

Chinese girl in China:
1) (in big cities) Approach her like a normal person, but except lots of giggling if you're a foreigner. It won't result in much, but you'll get a conversation... albeit with looooots of giggling.
2) (not in big cities/countryside) Don't approach her. Unless she's a prostitute. And there aren't many of those in the countryside. By "those" I mean prostitutes, not girls.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyvexal View Post
2) (not in big cities/countryside) Don't approach her.
Would that be considered rude, if one would do that. What's the reasoning behind it?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Zyvexal

She would scream and run away if you do. Because if you're foreign, you're obviously a demon.

Unless you're in a countryside with lots of tourism, in which case, see (in big cities).
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Legionnaire

Oh, I'm glad you unveiled that, I knew it existed beforehand; thought it would be more prevalent in small towns, and it is from what you are saying.

Can you please elaborate what indoctrination specifically produces that kind of response. You know, the ideas, like: because their eyes aren't slanted "not narrow enough", the demons can get in easier, etc. That example might not be from China.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
60th, anniversary, china, chinese, culture, thread