The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Jan Liqua
Wisdom of the Ages

Nation: Eonica
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: AngolaThree

Default Name Something You Give a Damn About

Given that a great deal of the people in the election thread are apathetic or cynical, let's shift it to a more general focus.

What's a bonafide real-life issue or topic that you honestly give a damn about? Maybe it's not your burning passion, but it's something you care about enough that if something goes wrong or changes, you might be compelled to follow it or do something about it.
Foreign Ministry Service Ribbon
Jan Liqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Default Re: Name Something You Give a Damn About

Hmmm...

I guess i'll go the controversial route and say abortion. I've gone from a pro-choice, Bush hatin' person pre-9/11.. to a pro life, hawkish conservative.

The pro-life part did come last though.. And my arguments don't involve beating you over the head with a Bible. It was about 2 months into my wife's pregnancy, and I had already become wishy-washy on my pro-choice stance. We went to an exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago called, "Body World." Among the many exhibits they had real fetuses at every stage of development.. I looked very closely at an 8 week old fetus and saw that it had fingers, toes and somewhat of a face. To me, it was a human. I didn't know how late they allow abortions, but I was pretty sure it was later then 8 weeks. When I thought of that and thought about my growing child, I decided I couldn't be pro-choice anymore.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Saloon Simon

Nation: Centipede

I could go into alot of detail for thos one but I cant really bothered. Climate change is the big one on my agenda and really concerns me. We had a big discussion on the old boards about it.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarLoyaltyIch Dien Gold AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Saloon Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melidan View Post
We went to an exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago called, "Body World."
Body Worlds was one of the more disgusting things I've gone to (excluding the rest of the trip to Milwaukee - it was at MPM a month ago), but it was still pretty cool. I now know the difference between my liver and the livers of some guys I lived with in the dorms freshman and sophomore years of college...

My big issues are gun control (less control, more guns please), energy resources (particularly the development of nuclear fission and fusion power), immigration, and murdering terrorists. On a state/local level (Wisconsin), I focus more on reinstating the death penalty and getting a concealed-carry law passed. That might seem like a lot, but as long as Wisconsin is under the thumb of Governor I-hate-the-Second-Amendment-and-turn-a-blind-eye-to-the-Department-of-Natural-Resources'-illegal-practices-(agents do not have to observe the 4th amendment and are never disciplined for entrapment when they arrest hunters who shoot at fake deer, set up by the DNR, two minutes before a completely arbitrary start time to the season)-because-I'm-a-filthy-rotten-bastard-and-a-total-dumbass Doyle, these issues are important.
The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporal View Post
Body Worlds was one of the more disgusting things I've gone to (excluding the rest of the trip to Milwaukee - it was at MPM a month ago), but it was still pretty cool.
Dude, i'm not good with that kinda stuff. I can watch all kinds of gory vids online and not be phased.. but when I was going through that whole thing, I got sick to my stomach and had to sit down for awhile! :icon_redface:
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melidan View Post
Dude, i'm not good with that kinda stuff. I can watch all kinds of gory vids online and not be phased.. but when I was going through that whole thing, I got sick to my stomach and had to sit down for awhile! :icon_redface:
It's definitely not for the faint of heart and not at all like that time in 8th grade when we dissected fetal pigs :5zombie: . I was kinda surprised by the sheer number of bodies on display, though.
The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Sandrock149

Nation: Republic of SaNdRoCk

I live in New Jersey 5 mins away from New York City by driving and i went to the one in NYC i thought it was kinda cool like teh lung cancer one compared to the healthy ones and all those type of things. I think it's intresting the place was not as disgusting as i had pictured.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarLoyaltyIch Dien Gold AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Sandrock149 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
damn, give