The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

View Poll Results: Do you want Obama's healthcare program to be passed
Yes! 66 40.74%
Fuck No! 52 32.10%
LF 11 6.79%
Congress is full of idiots 33 20.37%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #91
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Imperial

Default Re: Universal Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporal View Post
HOORAY!!! Mel hath visited the Real World Forum again! And good point, that's something I often forget. People of any political affiliation can agree that the federal government has been stretching the limits of their powers for a long time now.
Federal government getting involved in everything seems to be more out of necessity. If we look at the numbers of states that are in serious budget trouble, its been growing steadily every year. Federal intervention in everything might not be out of the desire to create big government but simply due to the fact that only the federal government has the money to fund these costly social programs that people demand.

I suppose federal expansion could also be defended by noting most people don't want large amounts of disparity between the states. If one state has a universal health care system, there's going to be a massive influx of people towards that state. States could also engage in a "race to the bottom" to make themselves less attractive to cut down on expenditures. At least those were some thoughts behind the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, don't want poor people flooding to states with the most benefits.

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #92
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Federal government getting involved in everything seems to be more out of necessity. If we look at the numbers of states that are in serious budget trouble, its been growing steadily every year. Federal intervention in everything might not be out of the desire to create big government but simply due to the fact that only the federal government has the money to fund these costly social programs that people demand.

I suppose federal expansion could also be defended by noting most people don't want large amounts of disparity between the states. If one state has a universal health care system, there's going to be a massive influx of people towards that state. States could also engage in a "race to the bottom" to make themselves less attractive to cut down on expenditures. At least those were some thoughts behind the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, don't want poor people flooding to states with the most benefits.
While my last post doesn't show it, I'm in favor of replacing state government functions with federal government. Like you said, there are disparities between the states - not just in social programs but in basic civil rights. Wisconsin and Illinois don't allow concealed carry of firearms. Everywhere else, even California, does allow it (though to get a permit in California you have to be rich and/or famous). People often use out of state driver's licenses to sneak into bars to avoid getting booted for being under age.

However, without a Constitutional amendment to replace all of the state-centric language in the Constitution, expanding federal control in areas delegated to the states is unlawful and needs to be stopped.
The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #93
Villalba
Ill nail those traitors to the senate floor

Nation: Nueva Esparta

Let's face it, if it wasn't for China buying our debt, we would have an 11 trillion dollar bill right around now.
Coalition WarIch Dien Silver Award
Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #94
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire

Discord name: Imperial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villalba View Post
Let's face it, if it wasn't for China buying our debt, we would have an 11 trillion dollar bill right around now.
Even the current debt isn't so bad on its own. It is the projected debt that is going to cripple the US. Between Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid, the expenditures are going to be astronomical if nothing changes. Social security, as it exists right now, is poorly planned fiscal policy. It is a money sucking black hole that can't be touched with all the AARP voters.

Medicare & Medicaid need funding sources, they can't just be paid from general fund indefinitely. Unfortunately it seems that both parties can't field real reform solutions that pay for these pricey programs.

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #95
Villalba

the real reform needs to be in the currency you Imp.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #96
Makaveli
Burnin & Lootin

Nation: Lazy Republic

Discord name: Makaveli|Legion

I live in Canada I love our system we don't pay for most meds and hospital and doctors visits are free I am a construction worker and I have been to the doctor quite a bit and I have never had to pay a cent. I even get money back for the time I am off work.

The only major downside I can see is that we have long waiting times if you are not top priority most I have had to wait for surgery was a month and sometimes when you go to the clinic you have to wait a hour or two.

Does that really matter for instance I had foot surgery to remove some infected tissue. If that surgery was not covered by healthcare I would have not been able to afford it and probable would have lost my toe so I am happy with our system. I system could use some improving though France and Australia's systems are more up to date. As for the taxes yes are taxes are higher but not by that much.
Doomhouse WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #97
Sylar
Your Boss

Nation: East York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Even the current debt isn't so bad on its own. It is the projected debt that is going to cripple the US. Between Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid, the expenditures are going to be astronomical if nothing changes. Social security, as it exists right now, is poorly planned fiscal policy. It is a money sucking black hole that can't be touched with all the AARP voters.

Medicare & Medicaid need funding sources, they can't just be paid from general fund indefinitely. Unfortunately it seems that both parties can't field real reform solutions that pay for these pricey programs.
what we need next election around is for some rich billionaire dark horse to win(or someone backed by billions) and teach these old politicians how things are done, something needs to happen cause both of these parties are ruining are country.
Karma WarInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #98
Villalba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Makaveli View Post
I live in Canada I love our system we don't pay for most meds and hospital and doctors visits are free I am a construction worker and I have been to the doctor quite a bit and I have never had to pay a cent. I even get money back for the time I am off work.

The only major downside I can see is that we have long waiting times if you are not top priority most I have had to wait for surgery was a month and sometimes when you go to the clinic you have to wait a hour or two.

Does that really matter for instance I had foot surgery to remove some infected tissue. If that surgery was not covered by healthcare I would have not been able to afford it and probable would have lost my toe so I am happy with our system. I system could use some improving though France and Australia's systems are more up to date. As for the taxes yes are taxes are higher but not by that much.
Foot surgery is okay, but how about if someone has appendicitis?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #99
Slevin
A Texan Communist

Nation: Republic of Dixie

I just have to say if you debat aginst the reform and say it is not needed then your wrong so wrong...people need to stop dising Obama and get past it...I watch that spech giving a few nights back and what he wants to do is a good plan..It is nothing like all the lies that are out there we need to stop bekering and let the freking president do his job....
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #100
Villalba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
I just have to say if you debat aginst the reform and say it is not needed then your wrong so wrong...people need to stop dising Obama and get past it...I watch that spech giving a few nights back and what he wants to do is a good plan..It is nothing like all the lies that are out there we need to stop bekering and let the freking president do his job....
Oh yeah let him do his job. Don't bother showing dissent, or to protest, just let him take away the freedoms.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
healthcare, universal