The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default country centralism

does anyone else think that we are gradually progressing back to country centralism.

In my own home (Aus) we are continually withdrawing funding for not only humanitarian aid but also refugee concern.

yet at the same time we are so worried about our trade deficits with other countries.

yet we sit back and simply accept what are seemingly the defiance of war time rules of engagement and instead hope.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

Default Re: country centralism

I feel like you may be construing based on few examples. We don't hear much about what's going on in Oz around here, but I heard enough about the way your country has dealt with asylum seekers to think "Wow, here is a country that really doesn't want to be part of the world." The USA with Trump send a similar vibe.

But other countries still do things differently. To talk about the one I am most familiar with—in Canada, we've elected a new government 18 months ago that has, among other things, increased humanitarian spending, upped our participation in international instances, and made lots of efforts to welcome more refugees, going as far as sending numerous consular workers in refugee camps in countries neighbouring Syria to process people referred to us by the UNHCR faster and get them in Canada as quickly as possible.

So while your own country and the world's admittedly "most important" country seem to be moving in the direction of increased isolationism, I don't think that's reflective of a universal movement. I'm pretty sure that for each country you could name moving towards that direction, someone better informed than myself could point you one country moving in the other direction. Don't lose hope. Just move to Canada.

Edit: Oxfam's run an interesting "fair share" analysis for funding and resettling effort wrt the syrian refugee crisis specifically. While the resettling effort statistics are a bit depressing, one can see there are a few countries making their share, surprisingly including Oz!

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award

Last edited by scozy; 04-04-2017 at 07:08 AM.
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by scozy View Post
in entirety
I hope you understand this...

I know everything you just said for the most part.

though you may not know it, in years past Canada and Australia were compared.

mostly because of economy but also because of the ingeniousness people.

today, tbh, in the Australian media, Canada is treated as a cousin of the US. A 2nd state. little more than a offshoot of the prodigy of the UK all those years ago.

Australia is treated as a perennial colony behest of US policy.

for the educated. we already this and that time has passed.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

It has to do with the backlash against globalisation, one of the side effects of which have been increased migration. In Europe especially, previously homogeneous societies are experiencing this for the first time and the populists have used this situation to gain political capital.

On top of that, the traditional "left" parties in much of the world are having a collective crisis of confidence, soul searching etc. in relation to neoliberalism, which in its present form is hurting a lot of their ex-voter base (manufacturing, unionized workers). Recessions additionally historically have the effect of driving voters to political extremes, and while most of the world has recovered from the financial crisis we are still dealing with its political fallout.

tldr: In our increasingly complex, globalised society it's easier and more satisfying to scapegoat, point the finger at the foreigner and shout "fuck off, we're full" than engage in analytical, constructive political discourse.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
It has to do with the backlash against globalisation, one of the side effects of which have been increased migration. In Europe especially, previously homogeneous societies are experiencing this for the first time and the populists have used this situation to gain political capital.

On top of that, the traditional "left" parties in much of the world are having a collective crisis of confidence, soul searching etc. in relation to neoliberalism, which in its present form is hurting a lot of their ex-voter base (manufacturing, unionized workers). Recessions additionally historically have the effect of driving voters to political extremes, and while most of the world has recovered from the financial crisis we are still dealing with its political fallout.

tldr: In our increasingly complex, globalised society it's easier and more satisfying to scapegoat, point the finger at the foreigner and shout "fuck off, we're full" than engage in analytical, constructive political discourse.
i hope you understand you just basically summarized history.

my concern is now?

what can we do now???

we're no longer bound by boundaries. we now have international borderlines.

We now have the military force to enforce these boundaries.

We effectively have the ability to have a standoff.

while every other nation who isn't as technologically or geopolitically connected will have to suffer.

geopolitics is difficult.

we already went through this when we thought about the centre of asia.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
bitermer

I believe the solution lies therein, to look back and understand why thing are the way they are and what can be done. It's hard to say what can and should be done individually and collectively. Personally when I was in Melbourne I volunteered a few times for the ASRC but politically one can't help but feel disenfranchised given the way the system works.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
Old 04-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Quote:
...the solution lies therein...
really, how "disenfranchised" can we be when:

Saudi Arabia still allows:

Flogging, Caning, Dismemberment, Blinding, Beheading, Stoning and Crucifixion as normal legal practice.

I'm not Saudi, I'm someone.

p.s. apologies bitermer. i used your point for context.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:

The globalists called me monster. The nationalists called me brother. What did you think was going to happen?

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
President Gregory
More St. Louis than the Arch

Nation: New Missouri

Quote:

Exactly.

Also there needs to be a realization that outsourcing and automation is here to stay and that alternatives will have to be devised to employ workers from those sectors. Or come up with something like universal basic income or at very least higher minimum wages and better social services.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
bitermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDesade View Post
really, how "disenfranchised" can we be when:

Saudi Arabia still allows:

Flogging, Caning, Dismemberment, Blinding, Beheading, Stoning and Crucifixion as normal legal practice.

I'm not Saudi, I'm someone.

p.s. apologies bitermer. i used your point for context.
It's all relative of course. Just speaking personally of course because I can't vote. And when 49% of the vote doesnt mean anything, those 49% are essentially disenfranchised

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
centralism, country