The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
David Ben-Gurion
Veteran Financial Despot

Nation: Swiss Confederation
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: David Ben-Gurion

Default Re: My transformation: A rant

What I'm saying is out of everyone I know only one person owes debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire
She sits down and then I say, "Okay, I'll help you with maths now?"

She looks at me and says, "Please leave, you're a distraction."
Quote:
She encouraged me to get onto Tinder... and she said she matched up with random guys but she'd never take it any further. Meanwhile I only matched with bots or with girls who would unmatch with me after I said something. Oh well
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarODN WarMaroon WarNSO WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
David Ben-Gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
jimmy
1:1.61803

Nation: Dementia

I completely agree. America is so much more than anything that we lose total dominance over. We have all the ingredients for innovation, production, transportation, communication and the list goes on and on before you even start on things like our universities, financial institutions, natural resources and and food production. I mean really, we are blessed up the WAZOO! I think it is irrational to think that the sole superpower on the planet is going to blow it in one decade. It took Rome a thousand years to fall and to this day their concepts and ideals are inshrined the the institutions of the American government. So take a breath, take a step back and put the current situation into its proper perspective. The global economic crisis is not an American problem that will end the empire (BTW, we have troops based in countries all over the on the planet - From companies of advisors all over central Asia to huge bases all over Europe and in the Pacific. We have proxy military power in the heart of our most likely adversaries neighborhoods. So yes there is a global economic crisis and the American government is sadly once again ineffective at unclusterfucking the pervious administration. This is not the first time or the last time. But make no mistake about it, America will persist in greatness long past this current economic cycle.
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarNuclear SurvivorEconomics General Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Darth Elecian
Your Shepard has returned

Nation: Intergalactica

Discord name: SirDomblesan

Heh, from reading your posts on politics Mel, I figured you were more libertarian with conservative leanings than conservative. Anyways, Great rant and the point is it is obvious that our country is in a world of fucked up right now and even if the Republicans take back much power in the 2010 and 2012 elections (they've already gained some ground), it will take time to fix and I'm not clear as to what they all plan to do. And yes, alot of the politicians on the right are just as crooked as the ones on the left along with a longer list of complaints and grieviances so I really don't blame you for your dissilution with politics Mel. However, I do believe that this crisis is solvable and if the government does the right things, we can get out of this mess. It is a shame that the government seems too incompetent to do so.

One thing in your rant I'm surprised you didn't mention Mel was illegal immigration. It is one of the issues that could potentially tear apart our country if it isn't addressed correctly. To me, that is just as important as soaring deficits worsening the recession right now and the current war on terror as major issues.
Second Unjust WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Darth Elecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Elecian View Post
One thing in your rant I'm surprised you didn't mention Mel was illegal immigration. It is one of the issues that could potentially tear apart our country if it isn't addressed correctly. To me, that is just as important as soaring deficits worsening the recession right now and the current war on terror as major issues.
Trust me.. If I had gone on about everything thats wrong, I could have written a novel.. Illegal immigration is just one of the reasons I want our troops home, so that they can patrol the border.

Listen guys, im not trying to bash the ideals of this country.. This is still a great country. Im just not as hopeful as most.. And the thing im most upset about is that most Americans are too busy watching American Idol to notice or care.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Nedved I
Your authority is not recognized inside Fort Kickass

Nation: Nova Roma

Discord name: Nedved_I

I'm pro isolationism, I say we take a step back and spend the next few years getting our shit back together. We have this overwhelming need to be the white knight in shining armor for the entire so much so we extend ourselves to a horrible length. One where we do more harm than good.
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarTetris WarIch Dien Gold AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Nedved I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
David Ben-Gurion
Veteran Financial Despot

Nation: Swiss Confederation

Discord name: David Ben-Gurion

I always thought you were libertarian conservative, Mel. That's what I am and I take after you a bit.
(You can see my political compass in my sig).

Quote:
She sits down and then I say, "Okay, I'll help you with maths now?"

She looks at me and says, "Please leave, you're a distraction."
Quote:
She encouraged me to get onto Tinder... and she said she matched up with random guys but she'd never take it any further. Meanwhile I only matched with bots or with girls who would unmatch with me after I said something. Oh well
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarODN WarMaroon WarNSO WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
David Ben-Gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #27
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
I always thought you were libertarian conservative, Mel. That's what I am and I take after you a bit.
(You can see my political compass in my sig).
Good Arb, you're in growing company.

In other news, ABC News no less, just out yesterday is a report that should bring smiles to optimists everywhere;

Quote:
Economists: Another Crisis on the Way
By MATTHEW JAFFE 3/3/10, 11:07 AM EST

Even as many Americans still struggle to recover from the country's worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, another crisis – one that will be even worse than the current one – is looming...

The report warns that the country is now immersed in a "doomsday cycle" wherein banks use borrowed money to take massive risks in an attempt to pay big dividends to shareholders and big bonuses to management – and when the risks go wrong, the banks receive taxpayer bailouts from the government.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/screen?id=9990828

I dont get my pessimism out of thin air folks.

In news closer to home, more proof that average people cant catch a break.. I was informed today that I must return to New York and be present for a Union meeting where our company will ask for an additional 10% pay cut, on top of the 5% cut we accepted last summer. Sigh..

But why? The economy is in recovery. The recession is over. I know because CNBC told me so...
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #28
Hymenbreach
Ordinary Godlike Ex-Legionnaire

Nation: Hymenland

Empires die at least a hundred years before they fall over.
Author "Statement of Respect": Author of Legio Ordo Justicia: Nukes Taken for Legion: 9: DoC: 1 Year: Nations anarchied for Legion: 8, Length of Time as Legion Defacto Leader: 3 months: Numbers of times helped saved Legion from destruction: 1: Wars fought for Legion: 6: Instigator of Unique events on Planet Bob (Alliance survives Government Destruction Order): 1: Legion Improvements: 7 Percentage of Nation Score destroyed in last war: 60%: Current Positions in The Legion: Not in Legion
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Gold AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Hymenbreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #29
Toraoji
Fantastic Quantumness

Nation: Toraland

Alliance:
Quantum

It's nice to see that more and more people are coming around to the truth at hand. Left vs. right is a joke. Both are wrong. They care only about the letter next to their name and about finding ways to "win" against the other side, and care nothing about actually running this country.

It's time for a real third party to emerge, one that centrist and extreme like to the 2 we have now, so our gov can be fixed and we can get this nation on the path of healing. If that doesn't happen, then i think the 20 year timetable people have stated is about right.

Aid donated to The Legion: 6 million
Nations put into anarchy for the Legion: 3
Karma WarEconomics General Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Toraoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #30
IronsightSniper
Legion's Resident AppleJack

Nation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Griffin View Post
The United States economy is six times bigger than the next largest economy. The United States military is far more technologically advanced and superior to any other military in the world. American interests heavily influence the UN, IMF, the World Bank and countless other international institution. American hegemony is nowhere near an end.
You can't have a military if you're economy is like...Ireland's.

And hubb, I didn't sit there and whatever that word was, you know what I do when I sit down.

Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
IronsightSniper is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
rant, transformation