The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Kaliban
Old enough to know better,too old to care

Nation: Concordia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default London in the Spring

I'm planning on taking my wife to London next spring. I know several of you live there. If you have any favorite pubs,restaurants,or local shops, let me know. I will probably be staying in or near the west end. Am looking forward to seeing my first football match,and of course the pubs. Thanks

00:05 SiCkO[LegionCoFS] this game you get to assissanate people
00:05 Feibelman i do that in real life
00:05 Feibelman let me know when your balls drop kiddo
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Kaliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
mojo882

Nation: kolsara

Default Re: London in the Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliban View Post
I'm planning on taking my wife to London next spring. I know several of you live there. If you have any favorite pubs,restaurants,or local shops, let me know. I will probably be staying in or near the west end. Am looking forward to seeing my first football match,and of course the pubs. Thanks
we went to china town last weekend, that was nice, lots of food and some odd shops.
Unjust WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator Award
mojo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Sinatra

Nation: The Rat Pack

Alliance:
The Legion

This place is cool. Down by the south bank as well.

http://www.gordonswinebar.com/default.php
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Gold AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Sinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Regent Pancras
Gin Monstrosity

Nation: Unification

Discord name: RegentPancras

I don't live in London. But I do visit regularly.

What do you want to see and do? What are your likes and dislikes? How much do you want to spend? I'll point you in the right direction...
In Peace: Goodwill.

GMT+1

WHERE IS MY FUCKING MEDAL?

Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Regent Pancras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Kaliban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regent Pancras View Post
I don't live in London. But I do visit regularly.

What do you want to see and do? What are your likes and dislikes? How much do you want to spend? I'll point you in the right direction...
Am planning to visit the V&A,the British Museum,Sir John Sloanes museum,the Tower and the usual tourist stuff. Am also planning to see a soccer match. The weeks I'm looking at have Arsenal v. Chelsea, Tottengham/ Fulham, or Man City at Arsenal,provided tickets are available. And pubs, did i mention pubs ?

Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Regent Pancras
Gin Monstrosity

OK.

Firstly your choice of hotel. The West End is not bad to be in from a 'having everything there' point of view. I prefer to be a little bit further out of the city and you will get much better hotel rates.

If you are feeling rich, you might want to try the hotel named after me: St. Pancras...

You might want to seriously consider Marriott West India Quay. It's in the Docklands and is right next to a DLR and tube station. This is a really good location as there are lots of bars and restaurants around the area and it has a buzz about it, but you can be in the west end within 10-15 minutes by tube.

It is also a good location for The Tower which is 6 minutes by DLR and Sir John Sloanes Museum which is in the City of London.

If you haven't been to "London" before, it is made up of an amalgamation of boroughs and cities - City of London, City of Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Southwalk, Hammersmith and Fulham are the central most ones, but there are in excess of 30.

You should also have a look at Greenwich it's one of the nicest places in London with historic sights like the Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory along with the trendy Greenwich Market. These are only a few stops from the Docklands by DLR.

Theatre tickets can be a real rip-off if booked in advance, but if you leave it to the day and go to a ticket exchange, there are bargains to be had.

The Open top bus tours are good, but expect bad weather in the Spring, and bring a jacket.

End of March Into April the football season will be coming to an end and the last few games are all likely to be a sell-out especially if the teams are vying for the Championship or a place in Europe. Also bear in mind that the fixtures listed for Saturday 29 March 2014 can be played at any-time between the Friday before and the Monday after - it's the provisional fixture list which is out and there will be a Friday Night Fixture, some on Saturday, some Sunday and one on Monday. You will have to wait a few more weeks until the TV schedules are arranged to know...

As for pubs... well there are thousands to choose from but the best London beer is Fuller's London Pride!

Also The Tower of London offers 2 for 1 entry if you travel by train. Entry costs £22 so it's worth buying a cheap ticket to get the voucher!

GMT+1

Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation

Last edited by Regent Pancras; 07-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

When I stayed in London, this is where I stayed for a few nights: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/3...r-Bridge-hotel

Room is a good price, very very close to the tower and a tube station. Just got an oyster card (prepaid rail cards) for a 3 days and I easily traveled all around the city. Only problem is that I suggest that you take cabs back since the Late Night london bus schedule can be weird to understand when you are pissed (as I was) so if you plan on doing any heavy drinking/late night travel, I advise doing that.

Go to the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Also see if you are going during the trouping of the color (I think thats what its called). They will march horses down the avenue and its really cool to see.

Definitely go to the London eye, though try to get there around dusk so you can watch the lights of London go on.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Regent Pancras
Gin Monstrosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
Also see if you are going during the trouping of the color (I think thats what its called). They will march horses down the avenue and its really cool to see.
That's once a year on the auspicious occasion of the official birthday of HM Queen.

GMT+1

Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Kaliban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
This place is cool. Down by the south bank as well.

http://www.gordonswinebar.com/default.php

Thanks Sinatra, looks like a good place and as things stand,close to were I will be staying (I think)

----------

Quote:
OK.

Firstly your choice of hotel. The West End is not bad to be in from a 'having everything there' point of view. I prefer to be a little bit further out of the city and you will get much better hotel rates.

If you are feeling rich, you might want to try the hotel named after me: St. Pancras...

You might want to seriously consider Marriott West India Quay. It's in the Docklands and is right next to a DLR and tube station. This is a really good location as there are lots of bars and restaurants around the area and it has a buzz about it, but you can be in the west end within 10-15 minutes by tube.

It is also a good location for The Tower which is 6 minutes by DLR and Sir John Sloanes Museum which is in the City of London.

If you haven't been to "London" before, it is made up of an amalgamation of boroughs and cities - City of London, City of Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Southwalk, Hammersmith and Fulham are the central most ones, but there are in excess of 30.

You should also have a look at Greenwich it's one of the nicest places in London with historic sights like the Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory along with the trendy Greenwich Market. These are only a few stops from the Docklands by DLR.

Theatre tickets can be a real rip-off if booked in advance, but if you leave it to the day and go to a ticket exchange, there are bargains to be had.

The Open top bus tours are good, but expect bad weather in the Spring, and bring a jacket.

End of March Into April the football season will be coming to an end and the last few games are all likely to be a sell-out especially if the teams are vying for the Championship or a place in Europe. Also bear in mind that the fixtures listed for Saturday 29 March 2014 can be played at any-time between the Friday before and the Monday after - it's the provisional fixture list which is out and there will be a Friday Night Fixture, some on Saturday, some Sunday and one on Monday. You will have to wait a few more weeks until the TV schedules are arranged to know...

As for pubs... well there are thousands to choose from but the best London beer is Fuller's London Pride!

Also The Tower of London offers 2 for 1 entry if you travel by train. Entry costs £22 so it's worth buying a cheap ticket to get the voucher!
Thanks RP: This is all excellent info. I know it's much cheaper to stay outside of London, but since this may be my only trip there I plan on staying in the city. Am looking at a place next to the British Museum. Good info on the football, I thought the fixtures were all set. Will wait to see,then try to get tickets through the club website. About the Tower discount, when you say train, you mean the tube correct? Thanks for all the info RP. Perhaps we can have a pint of Fullers together when i'm there.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

Quote:
That's once a year on the auspicious occasion of the official birthday of HM Queen.
Whoops my fault then. I knew it was special I just didnt know when it was held.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
london, spring