The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
MeltedLazerz
The Supreme Ducktator

Nation: Jakulia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: "Asian" vs. "Western" Parenting - An Essay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
I think we shouldn't focus on the 'specifics' of the article - but the rationale behind it. Like don't say, "Oh, that checklist she gave - I don't match up to that" but say, "Aha, I can see the reason behind the things".
lol, I was just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
I think the rationale of the article was to explain this phenomenon - and what we can get by looking at the general points of the article is: effort. So I agree with that.

It's effort, maximum effort and non half-heartedness. I agree.
Yeah, it's mostly focused on effort. My parents had to work hard to get to where they were, and so they're trying to get me to work hard too. Although the article is probably more extreme than most Chinese parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
ML is best duck
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
MeltedLazerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #22
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

More extreme than about 95% of parents. She's giving us future Asian parents a bad name

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
Mauzel
Cynical Student

Nation: Elmekia

Really now? ...hmm... I'm not sure if you all seen Russell Peters, but here's a video that exemplifies the phenomenon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzKHQX59Wso[/ame]
Internal Affairs General Service Citation
Mauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #24
MeltedLazerz
The Supreme Ducktator

Nation: Jakulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzel View Post
Really now? ...hmm... I'm not sure if you all seen Russell Peters, but here's a video that exemplifies the phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzKHQX59Wso
ALL asian parents I know (my own included) aren't that strict about things. And I know a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
ML is best duck
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
MeltedLazerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Midas
The Prodigy Child

Nation: Bilginin

Discord name: Midas|AESIR

Alliance:
ĘSIR

I didn't read all of any of this, just bits and pieces, so if I say something that has already been said or something, don't get mad

Anyway, I think that is ridiculous. That is what I like the most about the US. Freedoms to do what you want academically. Freedoms to do what you want in extra-curricular activities. If people are pushed to do something they don't want to, they will snap. It's as easy as that. You can't turn a rock into a feather. I personally think that when someone makes a mistake, you give them a chance to learn from it. Fix their actions/habits to correct the mistake. If they fail to do so, punish them. If they correct it, they've learned how to problem so when they get into the real world, they will know how to solve their own issues. That in itself is effective parenting. Some of that stuff that was bulleted in the OP is just flat out ridiculous. People skills are essential in the real world. If you have no social contact with anyone outside of school, you loose out on this experience/life skill.

I think that's all I have to say... for now.
1 Weapons Research Complex: $150,000,000.00
The ability to beat the living crap out of Legion enemies: Priceless.
There's some things that money can't buy. For everything else, there's a WRC.
Quote:
[12:11am] PapaJacky[Legion]: I'm terribly clever yet I have a multitude of personality disorders
[12:11am] PapaJacky[Legion]: last count was 8 out of 11 :v
[12:11am] KivanNemiral: my issue is that im an asshole
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarNuclear SurvivorInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #26
Mauzel
Cynical Student

Nation: Elmekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I didn't read all of any of this, just bits and pieces, so if I say something that has already been said or something, don't get mad

Anyway, I think that is ridiculous. That is what I like the most about the US. Freedoms to do what you want academically. Freedoms to do what you want in extra-curricular activities. If people are pushed to do something they don't want to, they will snap. It's as easy as that. You can't turn a rock into a feather. I personally think that when someone makes a mistake, you give them a chance to learn from it. Fix their actions/habits to correct the mistake. If they fail to do so, punish them. If they correct it, they've learned how to problem so when they get into the real world, they will know how to solve their own issues. That in itself is effective parenting. Some of that stuff that was bulleted in the OP is just flat out ridiculous. People skills are essential in the real world. If you have no social contact with anyone outside of school, you loose out on this experience/life skill.

I think that's all I have to say... for now.
My counterargument in Post #19. Basically, the kids do have the freedom to do what they want, as parents do often ask about the interest the kids have. It's the half-arsed attitude upon having the parents pay for the lessons/instruments to pursue their interest that truly causes the parents to snap. In a sense, its like a girl buying about 20 cloths a day using her parents money, but end up not wearing any of it and leaving them all in their wardrobe.

To bring up what I said in post #19, basically, asian parents tend to invest a lot in their children; if the child wishes to take piano lessons for $50 bucks/hour two hours a week, its not the kid who works for the money to pay the tuition (such as what some of my western friends do to learn piano) but the parents who cut back on expenses to fund the interest. Same with sport coaches and such. Simply put, asian parents are more invested emotionally and financially in their kids life than western parents.
Internal Affairs General Service Citation
Mauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #27
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

I at first shunned away from this thread because of its length but I have to say that I glad that I read it. It does seem a bit extreme, but as Mauzel and Arcadian have pointed out, its seems to be all about effort, and not so much about forcing the child to do what they dont want.

Personally, I think that forcing kids to do put 100% into everything they do is acceptable. I know a lot of my early success are due to the fact that my parents pushed me to do my very best. They pushed me to do well in school, they pushed me to do well in sports.

But I have a question for you. How would an Asian parent respond to someone not pushing themselves to max later in life, such as post graduate? Like would someone working in a sweatshop still be pushed to go back to school, try to get better job, etc etc, or by that point is everything already set in stone?
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #28
Arcadian Empire

I like the effort emphasised in Asian families. And that's the reason for success. They imbue a pressure cooker that makes the child put 100% effort in everything.

Now if bogan families put their children in an Asian family... oh boy, they'd be dead within two hours.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
But I have a question for you. How would an Asian parent respond to someone not pushing themselves to max later in life, such as post graduate? Like would someone working in a sweatshop still be pushed to go back to school, try to get better job, etc etc, or by that point is everything already set in stone?
I would say that they would be told to better themselves. Asian families have this huge stake on their family name - and if say, one family member was to be a criminal - that family name would be blasphemed. That's why discipline and expectations are very high in Asian families - in my belief.

I know that because I got the very big talk from my late grandfather who said, "You and your brother are the only ones who are going to carry on your surname. Make us proud. My daughter's children cannot carry on our name. My other son had only daughters. Your dad is the only son that has had a son... and thus carry on the family name... make us proud, stay away from trouble, do your best and strive always for excellence"

He went on for about ten minutes. All very interesting, may I say.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

Its seems that the Asian families, and Asian societies in general, have an "old" style of honor. By old honor, I mean the idea that what you do reflects on your family. Dishonoring yourself is dishonoring your family, which is something nobody wants. Didnt the samurai rather kill themselves than be taken prisoner, because it was seen as more honorable?

I believe that the West has moved onto a different style of honor, an honor code that often reflects itself in things like gangs and what not. It doesnt hold the older and more noble sense that it used to.

Or am I being to general?
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
Arcadian Empire

Sounds about right from the Asian point of things. 'Western' one sounds a bit bogan in its complexion.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
asian, essay, parenting, western