The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Major nation-wide LTL carrier closes up

http://www.jevic.com/news/40/73.html

So Jevic is out, citing economic downturn and high fuel prices.. Makes me worry about my job, as we are also a significant LTL carrier based out of New Jersey. Other companies like Yellow and ABF have been hit hard.. Funny, as I type this I have CNBC on in the background where they say the Dow Jones Transportation Index is up 19% on lessening recession concerns.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Default Re: Major nation-wide LTL carrier closes up

There will always be a market for truck drivers unless the rail system is reconstituted to its former glory, don't worry (that much).
The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
The Demon Lord

Nation: The Round Table

While I want you to have a job, Mel, The Corporal makes a good point. The rail system is one of the most overlooked, underutilized resources in America. Its freight capabilities are being used fairly well, but long-distance widespread passenger transportation use a la France's TGV or the Japanese bullet trains would solve a host of problems with the inadequate interstate system, as well as cut carbon emissions and force the airline industry into providing a better product for long-distance domestic travel (I hate planes, they always screw me over).

But like I mentioned in the Gas Prices thread, relief should be on the way soon as the hedge funds move their positions on oil futures to sell, which should cause the price of oil to plummet. Which would be a great time for the country to seize upon the opportunity to rethink a widespread renovation of our rail network to accommodate high-speed passenger and freight lines.

/tangent
The Demon Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Melidan

I agree with you, but I think that I would be fairly safe as I drive LTL freight.. not truckload over the road. I think rail freight is much better suited for companies that go cross country with one trailer from the same place, rather then short distances with freight picked up from many customers.

Also, more trouble for hedge funds coming as well.. Credit Default Swaps.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
The Corporal

Alliance:
Molon Labe

I didn't think I was making a point before but passenger rail travel is dead in this country. If the American people wanted to use trains to get places (outside of intra-city travel, of course) Amtrak would be seeing greater numbers of users. Maybe enough to not need government subsidies anymore. People love their cars and the only way we'll be forced into thinking more about rail transit is if gas goes over seven, maybe eight, dollars a gallon. And even then, hybrids and buses will be looked at first, not Amtrak...

As for air travel, the problems aren't with the planes but rather with the mindset of the people using them. (I'm rereading this and it turned into a rant on airport security; if the cabin is not comfortable enough, get business class or first class - if the airlines take out any more seats you'll be able to buy a used car with what they'll have to charge people to fly - if they lose your luggage, try to fit it all in your carry-on - if you don't like the delays, arrange for your trips to take place during better weather... ) Even after the last six or seven years, we're still not generally comfortable with increased security measures at airports. Israel has had far better security at their airports for much longer than we have and you don't hear any complaints. In the U.S., every time a new scanning technology or security measure is tested out, someone feels the need to bitch about how they feel violated that the security people can better detect whether the person has a bomb on them or not. I would like to cordially invite everyone who doesn't want more (or any) airport security to go ahead, get rid of it, and see how long it takes for another plane to be hijacked...
Old 05-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Melidan

Well said
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Woody

Nation: Wilsonovia

Welp...

You could always go work for Swift
Great War IIIBronze Admiralty Ribbon
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Melidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Welp...

You could always go work for Swift

ROFL
Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

I don't see why people use trucks when people can carry it on their backs...

Tsk tsk tsk.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
The Corporal

Alliance:
Molon Labe

That's what we could use illegals for! Just have a chain gang of them stretching from New York to L.A. and Miami to Minneapolis. We'd save so much money on diesel fuel we could even feed the chain gang.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
carrier, closes, ltl, major, nationwide