The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

Default Re: My Mathematics Major: Pure, Applied or Statistics?

That is true, actuary math is where it is it.

If you want another opinion from me (besides you should drop map and study english or something else), then I will show you how I would look at it. Since I would go nuts doing one job for the rest of my life, I would pick the field of study that would give me the most options.

Pure mathematics is a little more limited in scope. Being a professor would be cool, but if spending days and nights pondering obscure equations isnt your cup of tea, lets move on.

Applied mathematics is using math principles and applying them to other fields. From personal experience, you would do plenty of work in manufacturing/engineering. Actuaries, which insurance companies use to figure out rates and whether or not they would pay off, make a lot of money and the work seems kinda interesting if you ask me.

Statistics is using math to either find error or predict trends. This also has a lot of application in business/engineering/manufacture. Statisticians will get a lot of work from all over industry/commercial world because companies love not having to do a lot of something if people only want a little of it.

Knowing that, I would go either applied of statistics. You may want to see it somewhere else. Also know, that you can usually get any job regardless of what degree you have as long as you have the right work experience/skill sets.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

I met one actuarial student - he opted out because he hated it or something.

I was considering it, but I figured I'd go for a degree that would get me more opportunities. So maybe Applied/Stats.

Though apparently undergrad Applied in Aussie-land doesn't do anything useful, and another guy on another forum said to do some Analysis units.

Oh it's so confusing

But the good kind.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #33
Mauzel
Cynical Student

Nation: Elmekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
That is true, actuary math is where it is it.

If you want another opinion from me (besides you should drop map and study english or something else), then I will show you how I would look at it. Since I would go nuts doing one job for the rest of my life, I would pick the field of study that would give me the most options.

Pure mathematics is a little more limited in scope. Being a professor would be cool, but if spending days and nights pondering obscure equations isnt your cup of tea, lets move on.

Applied mathematics is using math principles and applying them to other fields. From personal experience, you would do plenty of work in manufacturing/engineering. Actuaries, which insurance companies use to figure out rates and whether or not they would pay off, make a lot of money and the work seems kinda interesting if you ask me.

Statistics is using math to either find error or predict trends. This also has a lot of application in business/engineering/manufacture. Statisticians will get a lot of work from all over industry/commercial world because companies love not having to do a lot of something if people only want a little of it.

Knowing that, I would go either applied of statistics. You may want to see it somewhere else. Also know, that you can usually get any job regardless of what degree you have as long as you have the right work experience/skill sets.
I would add that generally focusing on just majoring in math is often a bad idea, for which most occupation would require you to have a moderately decent base in whatever field they are in. Such that if you want to do statistics or applied math, you should also take a minor in the field of interest (ie. Business/Engineering/Science - Biology, Chemistry, etc.) to bolster your resume.

Also, pure math is not simply pondering about equations, it becomes very abstract, to the point that its mostly proofs and logic rather than actual mathematical operations - In a way, it almost bleeds into physics and multidimensional analysis. A simple search on recent publications by math professors will provide you the general scope of what kind of true "mathematical research" is being performed, and basically what a pure math major will be focused on.
Internal Affairs General Service Citation
Mauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #34
SiCkO
Ex-Legionnaire

Nation: Repubic of Ahora

Discord name: SiCkO[TOP]

Alliance:
The Order of The Paradox

Business major, simply because it's useful for any job, management of time, resources and knowing how to find and quickly process data/information will be 100 times more useful anything you learn theoretically in Uni.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #35
Mauzel
Cynical Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCkO View Post
Business major, simply because it's useful for any job, management of time, resources and knowing how to find and quickly process data/information will be 100 times more useful anything you learn theoretically in Uni.
But likewise, business major alone will not be sufficient in the current job market, since you need to have it properly applied to certain fields. And, double-majoring is not that great in itself, since it really drains the life out of college... Minoring in business coupled with a Math major may be better.

Do keep in mind, that for certain combinations, it may be a better fit to the field outside of the self-made combinations. (ie. a major or program of study within specific areas such as applied economics & management)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #36
Arcadian Empire

I was thinking of a double major in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, then with something for my Arts degree. * Arcadian Empire shrugs

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #37
Feibelman
Whiskey Monstrosity

Nation: Feibelstan II

You do realize you can switch your major multiple times after trial and error.
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Feibelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Mauzel
Cynical Student

Quote:
I was thinking of a double major in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, then with something for my Arts degree. * Arcadian Empire shrugs
Architecture? Thats the first thing I think of when combining Art with Math~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feibelman View Post
You do realize you can switch your major multiple times after trial and error.
That is a possibility... but, if you DO plan on double majoring, switching major multiple times will cause a lack of time to complete any single one major, and you'll end up cramming 20+ credits per semester during your senior year... not how I would like to end my college experience, at least.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #39
Arcadian Empire

True, Feibs... but I suppose I don't want to spend any more time at uni than I have to.

And I'm not too high up on architecture... maybe I'll do something like a language, or some English. * Arcadian Empire shrugs

Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #40
Darth Vaicious

Nation: Coronia

Well I recomend statistics, if you are good with them you can find more job oportunities in the goverment and companies, I have to take one curse of statistics apllied to social science and was both a great tool but a living hell because humanities and maths don´t like each other.

Nevertless I´m taking the Harvard Managmentor Plus Diplomate to help improve my basic maths and business skills.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Darth Vaicious is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
applied, major, mathematics, pure, statistics