The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Justin The Terrible
A Mucky Pup

Nation: USSRII
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default I have a Question about the Dollar

The dollar. It's value is dropping due to inflation. I ask What is the point of inflation?..it does nothing. The Price goes up, worker's wages go up to accommodate. So in essence it is still the same price it began with. What did inflation accomplish right there? Other then decreasing the value of what people have saved in banks.
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarNuclear SurvivorSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Justin The Terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

Default Re: I have a Quetion about the Dollar

Inflation is the general rise of prices. Worker's rates aren't exactly pushed up to go with inflation, sometimes their wages are only lifted to part of the inflation rate - this is where the concept of "real wages" comes in to determine how much a worker's purchasing power is.

Basically inflation is caused by printing money, I think. As we all print money every day, there is more "cash" in the economy - and therefore prices will be pushed up to ensure that 5% of profit stays at 5% profit.

Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Interest rates are key to this - as interest is the price of money, if there is lots of money (high inflation), interest rates should be pushed up higher to make sure money is more expensive to get - and therefore ensure that not much money is needed. Essentially, high interest rates = low inflation, high interest rates = expanding economy.

So inflation is good.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Justin The Terrible
A Mucky Pup

Nation: USSRII

most jobs wages are pushed up when inflation pushes up though.. i guess idk..
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarNuclear SurvivorSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Justin The Terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Villalba
Ill nail those traitors to the senate floor

Nation: Nueva Esparta

Let's say you began to save $3000 from 2000 and let's say tomorrow China and the rest of the world demands to be paid back. Since the US runs a deficit our budget cannot handle it, even if you increase everyone's income tax to 100%. So the only way to pay it back, is to print it from out of nowhere. So from $3000 from 2000, to 2009 is a savings of $27,000. And the nation prints $11 trillion dollars without something to back it up with. Your $27,000 would be worthless. Heck you will probably begin to see $10 trillion bank notes.
Coalition WarIch Dien Silver Award
Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post

So inflation is good.
* Melidan facepalms

AE, apply for a job at the Federal Reserve and put that on your resume. You're hired.

Quote:
Inflation in One Page
by Henry Hazlitt

1. Inflation is an increase in the quantity of money and credit. Its chief consequence is soaring prices. Therefore inflation—if we misuse the term to mean the rising prices themselves—is caused solely by printing more money. For this the government's monetary policies are entirely responsible.*

2. The most frequent reason for printing more money is the existence of an unbalanced budget. Unbalanced budgets are caused by extravagant expenditures which the government is unwilling or unable to pay for by raising corresponding tax revenues. The excessive expenditures are mainly the result of government efforts to redistribute wealth and income—in short, to force the productive to support the unproductive. This erodes the working incentives of both the productive and the unproductive.*

3. The causes of inflation are not, as so often said, "multiple and complex," but simply the result of printing too much money. There is no such thing as "cost-push" inflation. If, without an increase in the stock of money, wages or other costs are forced up, and producers try to pass these costs along by raising their selling prices, most of them will merely sell fewer goods. The result will be reduced output and loss of jobs. Higher costs can only be passed along in higher selling prices when consumers have more money to pay the higher prices.*

4. Price controls cannot stop or slow down inflation. They always do harm. Price controls simply squeeze or wipe out profit margins, disrupt production, and lead to bottlenecks and shortages. All government price and wage control, or even "monitoring," is merely an attempt by the politicians to shift the blame for inflation on to producers and sellers instead of their own monetary policies.*

5. Prolonged inflation never "stimulates" the economy. On the contrary, it unbalances, disrupts, and misdirects production and employment. Unemployment is mainly caused by excessive wage rates in some industries, brought about either by extortionate union demands, by minimum-wage laws (which keep teenagers and the unskilled out of jobs), or by prolonged and overgenerous unemployment insurance.*

6. To avoid irreparable damage, the budget must be balanced at the earliest possible moment, and not in some sweet by-and-by. Balance must be brought about by slashing reckless spending, and not by increasing the tax burden that is already undermining incentives and production. * * *
Please watch these;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD64owa6xh4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD64owa6xh4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8I3J-1GSM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8I3J-1GSM[/ame]
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation

Last edited by Melidan; 09-11-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Here's a short version of everything Mel posted:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation_in_Zimbabwe[/ame]

The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Villalba
Ill nail those traitors to the senate floor

Nation: Nueva Esparta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporal View Post
Here's a short version of everything Mel posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation_in_Zimbabwe

Corp i do hope your wrong lol
Coalition WarIch Dien Silver Award
Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

YES! I CAN HAVE A JOB AT THE FEDERAL RESERVE!

Now to make the inflation rate to a number that pleases me...

A = 1, E = 5.

1.5%

Or 15.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire

Discord name: Imperial

Default Re: I have a Question about the Dollar

I think Melidan pretty much nailed the point. Perhaps inflation domestically isn't a huge problem, but in international terms, it is. Fortunes can be made or lost simply through currency exchange. The weaker our currency is vis-à-vis foreign currencies, the more complex the situation becomes. This affects our trade, employment, outsourcing, foreign investment, etc. All of it can be affected by our money's value.

Also let's consider the fact that we sell our debt to fund our deficit spending. That debt is sold in U.S. dollars. People like China, Russia, Japan and many others hold our currency in reserve. They use it to keep their own currencies stable. If our currency begins to tank, countries will dump their reserves and no one will purchase our debt. No one purchasing our debt means no money to spend on government.

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Default Re: I have a Question about the Dollar

Exactly! Boomshakalaka.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
dollar, question, quetion