The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Contests

Contests Think you can pick the winners of RL competitions? Try your hand at our contests for in-game prizes.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: happy5214

Default Contest list for 2023-24

Since Firkinvald has retired from his role as Director of Sociology, I am taking over ultimate oversight of running our contests. I'd like to hire someone to help me out with managing some of them (I'll post a Job Fair ad shortly), and what I'm about to share is why. I'm planning an expansion of our contest offerings in the 2023-24 season (our contest seasons start and end in August). Here's a full list of what I'm proposing:
  • 2024 Paris Summer Olympics:
    • Basketball (men's and women's contests)
    • Association football (soccer) (men's and women's contests)
    • [NEW] Rugby sevens (men's and women's contests)
    • [NEW] Tennis (men's and women's singles contests)
    • [NEW] TBD contest for other sports
    • Overall contest
  • American football:
    • [RETURNING] 2023 NFL Fantasy football league
    • 2023-24 NFL Playoffs
    • 2023-24 College Football Bowl Mania
  • Association football (soccer):
    • 2023-24 UEFA Champions League, Europa League, and Europa Conference League (group stage, knockout rounds, and combined)
    • UEFA (Men's) Euro 2024
    • [NEW] 2024 Copa America
    • [NEW] 2023-24 FA Cup (starting with the third round proper)
    • [NEW] 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs
    • [NEW] 2024 Leagues Cup
  • Baseball:
    • 2023 MLB Playoffs
  • Basketball:
    • [NEW] 2023 NBA In-Season Tournament
    • 2024 NBA Playoffs
    • 2024 March Madness (men's and [NEW] women's contests)
    • [NEW] 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup
  • Cricket:
    • [NEW] 2023 (ODI) Cricket World Cup
    • [NEW] 2024 Men's T20 World Cup
  • Ice hockey:
    • [NEW] 2024 NCAA Division I (men's) ice hockey tournament
    • 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs
  • Rugby union:
    • 2023 (Men's) Rugby World Cup

If you can think of anything that should be added to the list, feel free to suggest it. I'll have a separate post out soon with proposed formats for the Legion Cup season-long contest, which will also start next season.
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire

Last edited by happy5214; 08-16-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Adding Leagues Cup, NBA in-season tournament, and NCAA hockey
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Default Re: Contest list for 2023-24

I would suggest:

Tennis - Men's & Women's (Wimbledon starts today)
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
FightingSioux405 

Nation: New Whitehall

Might be fun to see a contest for the NCAA Ice Hockey Playoffs when March/April rolls back around!
Old 07-03-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae

Discord name: happy5214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkinvald View Post
I would suggest:

Tennis - Men's & Women's (Wimbledon starts today)
As you know, we used to have contests for Wimbledon, but we had to discontinue them due to a change in the scheduling format for the tournament that made running the contests (as with any possible contests for the other Grand Slam tournaments) a logistical nightmare. Even if we choose the entire bracket all at once, like we do for March Madness, we'd have less than a day to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingSioux405 View Post
Might be fun to see a contest for the NCAA Ice Hockey Playoffs when March/April rolls back around!
That could be done, though I have some concerns about the tight scheduling (which could be dealt with) and (more importantly) the lack of knowledge most of us have of college hockey. It would probably have to be restricted to the men's Division I tournament, as the women's tournament has an unusual number of teams that would make the contest format messy. Expect low participation in such a contest, though I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Contests

Tags
contest, list