The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #21
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Arcadian

Default Re: So I watched WWE Raw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickLaxBro View Post
Meh @ WWE/Wrestling. UFC is better, and this is why: (Start at 1:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLy_RQ2x8Rg
I watch WWE more for the entertainment than the fighting itself. It's a misconception that some people make that UFC > WWE, but that can only be made if we're basing it on the 'fighting'.

Truly, what I do is I record Raw and Smackdown - skip matches mostly to find out who wins and just watch the talking bits.

Also, the script-ness of wrestling can make for better matches. Like Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker last year and the year before that... was just awesome - because these matches "told a story", and I think when it gets real like with UFC - you fail to tell a story and it's just fighting.

Some WWE matches are better in my opinion, even though they're scripted, is because they are part of a larger entertainment scheme that uses matches to tell a story.

Like I remember when Ric Flair got retired, and Ric got up and put his fists up to fight, Shawn said "I love you" before he gave him Sweet Chin Music. That's story telling.

When Shawn Michaels did the Undertaker's taunt before Undertaker retired him and gave a jumping piledriver... that's story telling.

So while I'm watching that video - yes, it seems like a good fight (and a nice punch) - but there's no story telling element that gets me emotionally involved somewhat. I view that like some schoolyard fight, unfortunately.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #22
Megamind

Nation: MLW worldwide

Discord name: Megamind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
Like I remember when Ric Flair got retired, and Ric got up and put his fists up to fight, Shawn said "I love you" before he gave him Sweet Chin Music. That's story telling.
Great moment. "I love you"...BAM!
Great War IIICoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Megamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #23
SickLaxBro
Would Anyone Care to Lax?

Nation: SticksAndStones

See Arc, I was speaking from a purely fighting viewpoint. There are/were some great stories in the UFC, but no where near as many as WWE probably (since WWE is scripted, UFC is not). The thing about the UFC is that those fights/stories are REAL, and not determined ahead of time, which is why is appeals to me.

I remember watching WWE once a loooong time ago (or so it seems. 7 years I think). There was a fight and someone pulled out a sledgehammer and 'smashed' the other guys hand. I put 'smashed', because you can obviously see he missed (though very close) in the instant replay, but the other idiot is still writhing in 'pain'. That's a big part of what turned me off from the WWE.

The predetermined factor I can somewhat tolerate. As long as there's a good fight, it doesn't really matter, right? But when it's rigged and the acting is just bad, I can't watch it anymore.

EDIT: Again, I am speaking from a purely fighting viewpoint. I really don't care much about the in-between stuff.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
SickLaxBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

Though I admit sometimes it is comical when they smash the person's head into the turnbuckle - but they don't actually contact the turnbuckle and then walk around pretending they got their head hit

But too much and too obvious it takes away from the spectacle of it all, I agree.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
Watcher
Dream Potato

Nation: Gambrin

Discord name: Watcher

What Arc said.

I watch WWE for stupid fun entertainment. I watch UFC/MMA/boxing for fighting and treat those as actual sports (at least when boxing isn't rigged).

~"I got all the numbers! That's Wade Boggs style baby." - Charlie Kelly ~
*Lord Protector of the Legion*
*Patron Saint of Invicta*

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #26
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickLaxBro View Post
See Arc, I was speaking from a purely fighting viewpoint. There are/were some great stories in the UFC, but no where near as many as WWE probably (since WWE is scripted, UFC is not). The thing about the UFC is that those fights/stories are REAL, and not determined ahead of time, which is why is appeals to me.

I remember watching WWE once a loooong time ago (or so it seems. 7 years I think). There was a fight and someone pulled out a sledgehammer and 'smashed' the other guys hand. I put 'smashed', because you can obviously see he missed (though very close) in the instant replay, but the other idiot is still writhing in 'pain'. That's a big part of what turned me off from the WWE.

The predetermined factor I can somewhat tolerate. As long as there's a good fight, it doesn't really matter, right? But when it's rigged and the acting is just bad, I can't watch it anymore.

EDIT: Again, I am speaking from a purely fighting viewpoint. I really don't care much about the in-between stuff.
So the one dude didnt want to 'hit' the other guy with a sledgehamer? cool story. You guys have no idea what its like to be in a ring... its not comfortable let me tell you. Some of these guys use spots where they are upwards of 20 feet in the air and land on what is essentially concrete. There is no give in those wrestling rings. They are 4x4's underneath maybe a 1/4 inch of padding which is underneath abrasive canvas. I have taken some bumps in a ring (just to see how they felt... very painful even with a 3 foot drop). The robes are in essense 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick chain link lines that are covered up with plastic so that the workers dont cut themselves flying off it. I have a friend who is actually in the business and he flat out told me ' the first time i hit the ropes at full speed, i had a bruise on my back for 3 weeks. Not to discredit MMA guys as they work anything from 3-12 times a year putting their body on the line but wrestlers (especially WWE guys) work 300+ days a year on that. I understand that is there choice but it isnt as pretty and easy as you think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
What Arc said.

I watch WWE for stupid fun entertainment. I watch UFC/MMA/boxing for fighting and treat those as actual sports (at least when boxing isn't rigged).
Agreed but you should view the above paragraph when it comes down to pain.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
justavictim82

CM Punk is a motherfucking god on the mic
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #28
Watcher
Dream Potato

Going to watch it in a bit but it sounds like he killed it yet again.

Just a shame he was not utilized correctly for so long. I've always liked em.

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Old 07-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
Watcher
Dream Potato

Just watched the opening. Damn he is good on the mic. The crowed was on fire.

They need to keep this feud going. I thought Cena would mess it up but he actually worked well with CM Punk.

The jab at calling the company World Wrestling Entertainment instead of WWE was a nice touch. Corporate wide they are not suppose to refer to it as World Wrestling Entertainment anymore. CM Punk did it a few times. Awesome touch.

It is the small stuff like that that makes him so awesome. Same with firing off the alarm on the megaphone. Epic

Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #30
justavictim82

if you think the opening promo is epic.... wait until the end of the show promo w) vince... that is 5x better

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
raw, watched, wwe