The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Arcadian

Default So I watched WWE Raw...

...and CM Punk's brilliant promo at the end of it.

I know WWE is scripted and I know the events are pre-determined and the like... but after watching CM Punk's promo at the end.. I'm left wondering: "Was that... on the script?"

I know that it is scripted, it has to be - because if it wasn't, he'd have been cut off earlier. But I don't know. I'm left confused and not sure.

Whatever it is - one of the best, if not the best promo I've ever seen. Period.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OS9wZGb_3g[/ame]

Also my new quote of the week:

Quote:
I'd like to think that things will get better when Vince McMahon is dead but the fact is the company will be taken over by his idiotic daughter ad his doofus son in law and the rest of his stupid family!
Not sure that was on the script. Especially considering I believe that that Raw was live.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Watcher
Dream Potato

Nation: Gambrin

Discord name: Watcher

Default Re: So I watched WWE Raw...

It was a work but it was an epic work. That shred of doubt makes it work so well.

I hope this means the stupid PG era is over. I'm guessing not though.

Cena will likely Super Cena over Punk at Money in the Bank, Punk will leave soon, and shit will suck again.

I really hope not though. Come on something different! Let Cena lose and let Punk continue to make things not suck.

~"I got all the numbers! That's Wade Boggs style baby." - Charlie Kelly ~
*Lord Protector of the Legion*
*Patron Saint of Invicta*

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
TheManWithoutAPlan
Detective Duck on Duty!

Nation: CluelessLand

Discord name: IrishMan|Legion

If they were able to censor the words on a live television show, I believe most, if not all, was scripted.
Doomhouse WarNuclear SurvivorEconomics Distinguished Service Award
TheManWithoutAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Watcher
Dream Potato

It was a work for sure but some of it he may have done off the cuff.

The comments at the end were gold.

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
Arcadian Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
It was a work but it was an epic work. That shred of doubt makes it work so well.

Cena will likely Super Cena over Punk at Money in the Bank, Punk will leave soon, and shit will suck again.

I really hope not though. Come on something different! Let Cena lose and let Punk continue to make things not suck.
I don't think the PG era is over unfortunately. As long as TNA is... TN-gay and not a threat, they'll have no reason to change. After they went to PG they got good sponsors like K-Mart and 7-11, and that must mean big bucks for the WWE because their sponsors pre-PG iirc weren't all that "big".

But it's interesting - hopefully they do something good with it because, on the back of a promo like that - the feud deserves an epic end. Or, a new beginning with Punk as WWE Champion.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
Watcher
Dream Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
I don't think the PG era is over unfortunately. As long as TNA is... TN-gay and not a threat, they'll have no reason to change. After they went to PG they got good sponsors like K-Mart and 7-11, and that must mean big bucks for the WWE because their sponsors pre-PG iirc weren't all that "big".

But it's interesting - hopefully they do something good with it because, on the back of a promo like that - the feud deserves an epic end. Or, a new beginning with Punk as WWE Champion.
I agree.

I hope it actually goes somewhere beyond Cena being Cena and Supermaning over Punk.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post

Punk will lose and is taking time off. He is burnt out and pissed off about how he has been used the last 2 years. He isnt going anywhere. The very best thing about that promo was the SCSA t-shirt he was wearing. Supposedly the early plan is to have him work Austin at next years Wrestlemania.

This was definately a work. If it was a true shoot, he wouldnt have even got 15 seconds before being cut off. This establishs what I have felt for a long time..... Punk is by far the best talent that the 'E' has. He may stick around for a bit because Cena is supposedly really banged up. I can definately see the company letting Punk carry the show for a month or two so Cena can get healthy.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
Arcadian Empire

Well, if I end up getting the MITB PPV - if Cena superCenas over Punk, I'll just be happy due to the two Money in the Bank matches...

I have no idea why they stopped putting them at Wrestlemania - because they are the perfect match to get things started...

And Austin v Punk at Wrestlemania? Sounds nice.

Though justavictim, perhaps it was a mixture of a work and shoot? Like perhaps he was allowed or 'scripted' to say he could go back to another wrestling promotion but in the heat of the moment, mentioned ROH and New Japan wrestling ad lib?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
Well, if I end up getting the MITB PPV - if Cena superCenas over Punk, I'll just be happy due to the two Money in the Bank matches...

I have no idea why they stopped putting them at Wrestlemania - because they are the perfect match to get things started...

And Austin v Punk at Wrestlemania? Sounds nice.

Though justavictim, perhaps it was a mixture of a work and shoot? Like perhaps he was allowed or 'scripted' to say he could go back to another wrestling promotion but in the heat of the moment, mentioned ROH and New Japan wrestling ad lib?
They stopped putting MITB at WM this year because they were already doing it in a summer PPV. It made no sense. Honestly, yes it was a great thing to open the show but Edge v Del Rio was one of the better matches at the event this year so it wasn't that horrible.

It was a work and Punk isnt the only guy to mention ROH live on the air (Matt Hardy did it a few years ago). Vince doesnt care about NJPW and he doesnt see ROH as a threat and why would he? If he had said TNA, whicch isnt really a threat to him either but they are unfortunatly his chief competition, then things might have been differant. Also the shout out to Colt Cabana on live TV was epic. I just saw the guy 2 weeks ago at a local indy show in my area and he sounded pissed that he hasnt gotten more of a shot in either WWE or TNA...

The following reasons are why I know this was a work:

1) The SCSA shirt- that and the promo from a few weeks ago makes me know that the aforementioned match is in the works for WM

2) The ripping on Cena: Half the audience hates Cena and because he singled Cena out for the first 3 minutes of the shoot tells me that he was ripping on their biggest face who has a very tenious hold on being the good guy as it is. Now he is going to be ripped apart at MITB because its in Chicago. Punk was able to work the crowd into hating him again. See reason 4

3) Total length of the promo: No way in hell that Vince gives him a 6 minute long promo ripping the company when he has control of the mic. Punk knew when the mic was cut off. Have you ever seen a guy try to cut a promo and the mic malfunctions? They act as if the mic isnt working.

4) The airport comment: While he was right about the dick move by some oppertunists, this comment would have never made the air because it hurts the approachability of the athletes. THis is a big thing to Vince because he is trying to protray most of his workers as the dude/girl next door.

5) Punk is a professional: Everyone that knows Punk (I have friends and aquaintances that have worked alot with him including Matt from this past season of Tough Enough) knows that he is a consumate professional. While he is unhappy where he is at in the company, he is a traditionalist through and through. He airs his grievences to the appropriate channels and stays professional. He had remarkably similar issues with TNA when he was there and did not put them on blast for it.

6) PPV ratings since WM have been abismal: Over the Edge drew only 65000 buys. That is the second worst in WWE history (only one worse was December to Dismember '08, which was an ECW brand only show that got destroyed because there was a net leak that it was Heymans last show producing and that he had been removed unceremonously from Creative) and Capital Punishment early estimates have been better but not outrageously so. The company lost money in the last 2 months and needed to do something desperate to draw in buys. That promo alone should give them 50k+ buys,

7) The WWE wants to resign Punk badly: CM Punk is agruably the best heel in the industry. Raw lacks another top notch heel with the exception of the Miz right now. Miz is working Riley right now and that feud will last a few more months at the very least (I am surprised myself how over Riley is at events). R Truth, who is a solid worker, has not gone over well as a top heel. Alberto Del Rio has failed as a heel because he hasnt got enough heat on him (dispite the fact they have tried EVERYTHING to get him over). The WWE needs Punk as the top heel. They are letting him do what needs to be done so that he can vent and come back in a few months and be right back where he was. They can have Truth be a holdover until Punk is refreshed. The company also realizes that if they let Punk go, he could go to TNA and ROH (which just got a national TV deal) and build a competator against them. Both the Raw and SMackdown rosters are lacking Main Event depth as it is and they cannot afford to lose any great workers.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Boondock
Resident Redneck

Nation: Republic of Carolina

The fact that he mentioned other wrestling companies, like the once great Ring of Honor, has me wondering. Actually, this really has me wanting to watch wrestling again. Punk sold out, but I think he's finally getting back to those roots of his indy character, and that is admirable. I hope this is real, instead of him selling out even more.
Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
raw, watched, wwe