The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Allant

Nation: Paxico
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Allant

Default Anyone ever buy a home?

So, thinking about buying my first home, rent just keeps going up and I would like to put a stop to that. Also I'd like to be a more responsible citizen and all that good crap. Anybody here have any tips/pointers to share or pit falls to avoid?

Tell me your secrets

Right now I'm planning on going for a 2-3 bedroom and bringing in a roommate so I would be spending less on housing than when I was renting. $10 reduction in rent if they join CN and the Legion.
Ich Dien Silver AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation

Last edited by Allant; 04-24-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a home?

If you are handy, or dont mind work, buy a fixer upper. I am handy so I plan on buying the neighborhood I want to live in and making the house my own. If you already plan on bringing in people maybe look at buying a duplex or something similar so you can rent one out. Buddy of mine bought a quadplex as his first house, he never has to pay rent and can put money in his pocket every month from the other three tenants.

Always get a good home inspector, even if it costs more. They will find stuff that could cost you bundles down the road.

I dont own a home, but I look at them enough.

Any specifc questions?
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Allant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post

Any specifc questions?
Selecting a Realtor, sure seems to be a hell of a lot of them, do they have any particular certifications or the like to look out for?

Knowing how to make an offer on a place. What I've read online so far is ask the Realtor but is it not in their best interest to go for the highest amount?
Ich Dien Silver AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Do you have kids? If you do, or plan to, there's a whole other list of variables you need to look at beyond the house itself.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Think about resale value ... meaning location. Don't buy in a dying neighborhood.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allant I View Post
Selecting a Realtor, sure seems to be a hell of a lot of them, do they have any particular certifications or the like to look out for?
Make sure that they have their real estate license, your state should be able to provide that. Im sure there is a database. Pick a real estate agent like you would pick any other contractor. Understand that a cheaper realtor may come with downsides. You should also know someone understands the market and listens to the feedback you provide. They should be adapting to what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allant I View Post
Knowing how to make an offer on a place. What I've read online so far is ask the Realtor but is it not in their best interest to go for the highest amount?
A realtor will know what the fair market value of a home is. This is why picking one who knows the area is important. They will be able to tell you when a home is a steal and when a home is overpriced. You can always lowball an offer, but understand that there is someone on the other side of that. Go too low and you risk turning the seller completely off. Be willing to negotiate.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Old 04-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Watcher
Dream Potato

Nation: Gambrin

Discord name: Watcher

Get a good agent. If the agent sucks get a different one.

~"I got all the numbers! That's Wade Boggs style baby." - Charlie Kelly ~
*Lord Protector of the Legion*
*Patron Saint of Invicta*

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #8
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
Get a good agent. If the agent sucks get a different one.
BOOM
Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
President Gregory
More St. Louis than the Arch

Nation: New Missouri

A few things to remember.

Make sure that you have enough income leftover each month, a reasonable amount of savings, or affordable credit if something goes wrong that insurance won't cover.

Beware of property taxes. If you are in a state (I am assuming you are in the US?) that doesn't properly fund schools, the property taxes may be high.

Same goes if the local school district isn't fiscally responsible. Tax info on a house is public record, find out what previous years of taxes have been.

I am in St. Louis' southwest Illinois suburbs. Because Illinois state government has always been a fiscal train wreck and won't fund schools well, property taxes in my area are 30% higher than St. Louis city and county.

Last edited by President Gregory; 04-25-2015 at 01:11 PM.
President Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Allant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
Do you have kids? If you do, or plan to, there's a whole other list of variables you need to look at beyond the house itself.
No kids, brother can fulfill that biological responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkinvald View Post
Think about resale value ... meaning location. Don't buy in a dying neighborhood.
I'm in Fort Collins and fortunately the city is doing well economically, all the breweries we got in every direction. Also maybe our legal recreational pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Gregory View Post
A few things to remember.

Make sure that you have enough income leftover each month, a reasonable amount of savings, or affordable credit if something goes wrong that insurance won't cover.

Beware of property taxes. If you are in a state (I am assuming you are in the US?) that doesn't properly fund schools, the property taxes may be high.

I am in St. Louis' southwest Illinois suburbs. Because Illinois state government has always been a fiscal train wreck and won't fund schools well, property taxes in my area are 30% higher than St. Louis city and county.
I have enough saved for down-payment and emergency fund if everything goes to shit. As with Firkinvald's comment the city is in good shape and property taxes are fine.

Thank you everyone. Still hunting for a Realtor but I will be meeting with a lender later this week.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
buy, home