The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #1
Xineoph 

Nation: Um
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Xineoph

Default Trump/Biden

So, this is a discussion point I had on discord two nights ago, but I wanted to know what US politics were like Pre-2000 election. How divisive were they in comparison to today?

My argument is that Fox News (which entered in 1996) create a ratings war with its "for the people" news, which caused CNN and others to create "Only educated people watch us" news, which was further exacerbated by the internet which created even more freelance/private journalists, and social media which allowed the loudest people to convince others of black/white political theory.

Until we get to todays election which created populist President Trump on the platform of "I"m not a generic globalist president like Clinton, Bush, or Obama. News is misleading you on what they did. I want to help change things back".

So this election feels far less about policies and more about Nationalism vs Globalism, with a few abortion and economic things thrown into it.

Thoughts?
Second Polar WarWSA WarOne Day WarGreat War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Xineoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
Lord Emperor Clot
No, not really....

Nation: Clotvania

Default Re: Trump/Biden

A pretty accurate take. You have to go back to the last successful non-East coast (establishment) President to find a time as visceral as this. And for that, you have to go back to Reagan. And the media treated him just as badly.
Equilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon
Lord Emperor Clot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #3
Xineoph 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Emperor Clot View Post
A pretty accurate take. You have to go back to the last successful non-East coast (establishment) President to find a time as visceral as this. And for that, you have to go back to Reagan. And the media treated him just as badly.

Really? I'm guessing you mean his first year or so, I always heard after the assassination attempt he became popular for the rest of his first and second term which is what guaranteed Bush Sr to win his first and only term.
Second Polar WarWSA WarOne Day WarGreat War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Old 11-03-2020, 04:46 AM   #4
Micheal The Great

Nation: Newland Babylon

Alliance:
Legion

Hi! I would go back to Ross Perot and the reason why he dropped out.
1% news 99% opinionated commentary.
I would like to see laws changed on how opinionated news is handled by way of the commentator pay out of pocket for the air time spent. The news media become unlawful to pay the commentators for their opinions. Total separation of news and opinions. Any information that is not factual at the time of air. That entity would immediately be blacked out from broadcasting any content for 24 hours. That would apply to their entire network. I guess you can tell that I am not pleased with the so-called news medias.
Silver Admiralty Ribbon
Micheal The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
Lord Emperor Clot
No, not really....

Nation: Clotvania

Not as I remember. The establishment and the media always called Reagan an old fool, unsophisticated, etc. Reagan was just better and more eloquent in dispatching them. "There you go again," and "The bombing starts in 5 minutes" were classic Reagan, funny and made the media just as mad as they are now.
Equilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon
Lord Emperor Clot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
Xineoph 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal The Great View Post
Hi! I would go back to Ross Perot and the reason why he dropped out.
1% news 99% opinionated commentary.
I would like to see laws changed on how opinionated news is handled by way of the commentator pay out of pocket for the air time spent. The news media become unlawful to pay the commentators for their opinions. Total separation of news and opinions. Any information that is not factual at the time of air. That entity would immediately be blacked out from broadcasting any content for 24 hours. That would apply to their entire network. I guess you can tell that I am not pleased with the so-called news medias.
I wish, but if you made that rule, they'd just change their name to Entertainment News or whatever the law lets them call themselves, just like "cheese product".

The issue is if let's say CNN was changed to CON (Central Opinion Network [the CON thing is a coincidence]), it would still lead public opinion much like SNL, John Stewart, or TMZ does.

How do you fix that people take SNL, Stewart, or TMZ seriously and as factual as any other news, that's the real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Emperor Clot View Post
Not as I remember. The establishment and the media always called Reagan an old fool, unsophisticated, etc. Reagan was just better and more eloquent in dispatching them. "There you go again," and "The bombing starts in 5 minutes" were classic Reagan, funny and made the media just as mad as they are now.
So, news injustice goes further back than I imagined. That makes the situation even worse for the US.

Not like Israel is any better of course. Although our problem more states that the religious will only vote for religious parties, Muslims for the Muslim party and that leaves 3/4 seats to various secular or conservative parties making minority governments fairly common.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
The Man from Mars

Nation: The Republic of Mars

Hi There!!

It is called the Clinton News Network Not CON, The CIA used the money from their Drug Smuggling to buy media outlets Bill Clinton helped them.

For members just look to the Senior administration officials who state that the Biden e-mail scandel is Russian Disinformation.

This goes back to the Assassination of John F. Kennedy which was done by Federal Reserve as The Secret Service works for the Treasury

The Deep State was alive and in power back then so all my life has been lived under a puppet goverment

The Man from Mars
Tetris WarODN WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
The Man from Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae

Discord name: happy5214

I would just like to point out that the Federal Reserve is not part of the Department of the Treasury, and it never has been. It is an independent agency within the federal government chartered under the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
The Man from Mars

Nation: The Republic of Mars

Hi There!!

The secret service was in on the JFK hit, just as everyone else was, pictures were taken and they were all identified, strange that they just happened to be there at that exact time is it.

The Man from Mars
Tetris WarODN WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
The Man from Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #10
Xineoph 

I don't think happy was talking about the JFK Conspiracy, but I can believe it.
We have a similar one for our former Israeli PM Rabin.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
trump or biden