The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

View Poll Results: Who Do you want to see in the Presidency?
Bernard Sanders 17 50.00%
Hillary Clinton 5 14.71%
Donald Trump 8 23.53%
Gary Johnson 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #21
President Gregory
More St. Louis than the Arch

Nation: New Missouri
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: Who Do You Want to be the President of the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
FDR was not the hero he's made out to be. It was WWII's increase in production that got us out of the depression not his programs.

I have done college and worked. Through scholarships I came through one of the poorest regions of the US Eastern Kentucky, from a family where my mother essentially put me through college. However I also worked to make it happen. I didn't have to take out a single loan. I know I am lucky and blessed to have such an opportunity but many of my friends weren't. They had to make a decision of whether college was actually something that was better for them.

Many jobs I've found in college degree fields open to folks who have 4 years experience in the field. If you want to work in a field college degrees won't stop you they may hinder you and force you to work the shitty ass job for four years for experience but that's how it works. Also many of these jobs once you advance so far will pay for you to return to college and get a degree if you prove yourself so yeah. Its possible.

Social Security was a thinly veiled tax upon the uneducated with the tags and whistles of "We're hear to help grandma, don't you love grandma?" Problem was when it was instituted most grandma's and grandpa's died before 65 and he knew it. So most of that money was meant to be a tax. Now that folks live longer the government is figuring out that 65 is no longer a death sentence and folks live for decades longer now.

You can claim government mismanagement and you'd be right. However government mismanages everything. Its kind of a core platform of conservatives is that the government sucks at doing stuff.

Your assuming the moment we advance minimum wage that prices won't also go up on every single good we consume. Even if this money was coming out of a vacuum where no business were losing profits they would raises prices because consumers can afford it. Buying power will not increase with higher wages, inflation will just get a kick to go even higher.

Manufacturing left America because they can go to other countries pay a fraction of the costs, produce the same goods and we still need what they sell and buy it at roughly the same prices. Raising the barrier of business entry by artificially giving a high school drop out the same paycheck as 4 year college degree position will not fix our problems. They will make them worse.

In short there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone somewhere is paying for absolutely everything. When you depend on government for everything you are not free but in bondage.

As for corporation taxes for the most part I hate them. I'd make an exception for small businesses so they could get started but once they get on their feet they have no need for a break or incentives. Not sure where the cut off should be I'm not savy in that particular area.
FDR's statements were because Pat was saying minimum wage was never intended to be a liveable wage. FDR, who got a national minimum wage passed for the first time clearly stated that was his intent.

If you think higher wages only feed inflation, then how else do you solve the fact that the buying power of the US worke has been declining for decades? Sincerely open to ideas.

Wages have remained pathetically low compared to cost of living yet inflation is still on a rampage. What is causing the inflation if low wages aren't keeping it in check?

Never mind the fact that we as taxpayers are essentially subsidizing outrageously low wages through government assistance? Why should that be the taxpayer's responsibility when employers can easily afford better wages but refuse to pay it?:

Last edited by President Gregory; 05-11-2016 at 07:17 AM.
President Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #22
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
FDR was not the hero he's made out to be. It was WWII's increase in production that got us out of the depression not his programs.
While it is true that WWII did wonders for the US economy, it is false to say that the war "got us out of the depression, not his programs."

from wiki
Quote:
By 1936, the main economic indicators had regained the levels of the late 1920s, except for unemployment, which remained high at 11%, although this was considerably lower than the 25% unemployment rate seen in 1933. In the spring of 1937, American industrial production exceeded that of 1929 and remained level until June 1937.
The economy may not have fully recovered by '37 but it certainly had by the time Germany invaded Poland in '39, never mind when the US actually entered the war towards the end of '41.

I don't know enough about the New deal programs to say confidently which were effective and which were not but as a whole it is very difficult to argue that Roosevelt's presidency was not successful in restarting the economy, especially in regards to increasing federal expenditure.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #23
Darth Vaicious

Nation: Coronia

If I was american, I would vote for Trump!!!
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Darth Vaicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
While it is true that WWII did wonders for the US economy, it is false to say that the war "got us out of the depression, not his programs."

from wiki

The economy may not have fully recovered by '37 but it certainly had by the time Germany invaded Poland in '39, never mind when the US actually entered the war towards the end of '41.

I don't know enough about the New deal programs to say confidently which were effective and which were not but as a whole it is very difficult to argue that Roosevelt's presidency was not successful in restarting the economy, especially in regards to increasing federal expenditure.

Having my grandfather dig holes in the ground and hide behind hills did not jumpstart the economy.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #25
bitermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
Having my grandfather dig holes in the ground and hide behind hills did not jumpstart the economy.
Well, he got paid, didn't he?

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #26
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
Well, he got paid, didn't he?
with tax money

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
bitermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
with tax money
sounds reasonable.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #28
deathbyshamwow

Nation: Voicia

Honestly, all of our choices are terrible. Gary Johnson seems at least halfway decent but I don't know much about him.
deathbyshamwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #29
Patrick MacFarlane

Nation: Crakatoa

Discord name: PMacFarlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyshamwow View Post
Honestly, all of our choices are terrible. Gary Johnson seems at least halfway decent but I don't know much about him.
Who would you want to see elected?

“Death sits in the chair across from me and watches.
Death sees but has no eyes.
Death knows but has no mind.

We often sit together in the night.
Death has one move left.
I have none."
Doom WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardDefense Medal of Valor
Patrick MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #30
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

I'm definitely not voting for Bernie Sanders. His economic policies show no real understanding how the modern economy actually works. And he hasnt proven to me on how he will effectively pay for all of his ideas.

I don't like Hillary or Trump, but I will vote for the lesser of two evils in Hillary. She won't really mess with policy that much from Obama.

I'm interested in looking more into the policies of Gary Johnson. He may be able to win my vote.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
president, states, united