The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #31
The Corporal
Agent 47, Silent Assassin

Nation: New Milwaukee
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Alliance:
Molon Labe

Default Re: New York Times to McCain - Get bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddychacha View Post
I'm at work so I can't really watch the movie right now, but I'll grant you that the media has given Obama a pretty bump-free ride so far, one or two controversies aside...But how is that different than how the mainstream media treated Bush for the first 5/6 years of his presidency?
You did watch TV or read newspapers in 2000 and 2003-2006, right? It was one complaint after another. 2001-2002 was the only time the media backed off a little, and that was because of 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddychacha View Post
The thing is, Obama didn't get to publish his views unedited or unconsulted by the NYT staff: He submitted to their reasonable request and took part in an editing/revising process that McCain is unreasonably refusing to condescend to take part in. Why are you saying that McCain should be exempt from that? That's all I want to know.
I'm saying that there will be some selective editing. By your own admission, the media has let Obama get away without having his positions challenged in any serious way. I can picture the note from the editor that would accompany McCain's column already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leninrocks244 View Post
We don't get the NY Times here in Chicago =/. But if FOX has a number of liberal columnists, how come everything about Obama is negative.
You obviously have never read any of the articles they have written. Go to www.foxnews.com and scroll down to the Opinion section. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Susan Estrich, but there are a few other columnists in there who are Democrats. You'll find that not everyone in the employ of Fox News hates Obama...
The Corporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #32
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan

Showcasing media for Obama..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfogMFL7UJo[/media]

This shit is hilarious.. Chris Matthews is such a tool.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #33
bigdaddychacha
Legion's Resident War Criminal

Nation: New Prospect Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporal View Post
You did watch TV or read newspapers in 2000 and 2003-2006, right? It was one complaint after another. 2001-2002 was the only time the media backed off a little, and that was because of 9/11.
There have been instances of negative coverage, but the same is true of Obama (Pastor Wright controversy somehow made it to press!) Overall, nobody has ever sat down with Bush in an interview and asked him the questions that are on every real liberal's mind because they're scared they'll lose access. Watching an interview of Bush is an exercise in trying to see how long you can not scream the obvious question at your TV set. Whenever Bush is saying one thing and liberals are saying the opposite at the same time, all mainstream media outlets have generally portrayed Bush as either automatically correct, or at very least that the two opposing viewpoints held an equal, and cancelling, weight. Years later now, when it has been proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the liberals were right on just about any issue you can name, especially concerning the Iraq War, and that Bush was wrong almost without exception in every case, you don't hear the MSM issuing any apologies or retracting any statements or anything like that. The fact that Bush hasn't been impeached and that he still has any credibility with the MSM whatsoever is what tells me that he has had excessively positive coverage. If they really didn't like him, or if they were even just a little bit indifferent to him, his situation would be a lot worse, things are not as bad for him as they could be, even though they are very bad these days.

Quote:
I'm saying that there will be some selective editing. By your own admission, the media has let Obama get away without having his positions challenged in any serious way. I can picture the note from the editor that would accompany McCain's column already...
Utter, baseless speculation. Besides, as I said, McCain has already been published in the New York Times SIX FRIGGIN' TIMES!!!!1 If the NYT editors keep telling McCain he's crazy and that he needs to change his whole world view if he ever wants his writing to see the light of day at their paper, why does he keep writing for them again and again and again and again and again?
Tetris WarNuclear Survivor
bigdaddychacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #34
leninrocks244
Banned

Nation: Marxism

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporal View Post

You obviously have never read any of the articles they have written. Go to www.foxnews.com and scroll down to the Opinion section. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Susan Estrich, but there are a few other columnists in there who are Democrats. You'll find that not everyone in the employ of Fox News hates Obama...
I just watch the news channel. I've never been on the website.
leninrocks244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #35
FreeMason
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Nation: Sexi Thyme

And if anyone watched the dem debates, there was at least one (and I can't remember exactly which one it was) that was simply Obama being bashed by the moderator (questions about Reverend Wright, the flag lapel pin, and more) while Clinton got extremely easy questions. The media has taken their fair share of potshots at Obama (such as FOX's "terrorist fist jab" story, among other things).
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
FreeMason is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
bent, mccain, times, york