The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
Because there would be less dollars in the school pocket I assume.
Not always. Honestly most unis don't give a shit so long as they get paid. If he paid for the course in full, they should not have cared if he tested out.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Default Re: Why I hate the education system in one short story

The only good news is that capricious grading is something you can nail people for.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Extractum11
Extra CUM

Nation: TerraExtraxi

Discord name: Extractum11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extractum11 View Post
I'm pretty sure a school as large as yours should keep records of the exams. Oftentimes professors will photocopy tests/scantrons to prevent cheating; try to see if they still have your old one.
Also, what class is this?
ODN WarEquilibrium WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardInspector General's Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Extractum11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Konkrage
Xineoph touched me here.

Nation: Konkrage1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavictim82 View Post
Why did the school not allow you to just test out on this course instead of wasting your time here? Sorry just curious
I've asked this. They said I could test out but that I would just have to take a higher level course to replace the course I wasn't taking.

As far as test records, what I'm looking at now is they are saying my actual grade is a 64.67. The problem with that is, the grade has been displayed as an 80. I studied as if I had made an 80. Everything I did on the course was on the pretense that I made an 80 on the second exam. I just wanted a B, but with this update I'll likely be struggling to even pass.

To further illustrate the level of teaching I have, my roommate and I turned in the same homework assignment. The answers rounded to the same exact four decimal places. He made an 85, I got a 69.

Casualties Peak Rank: #1 Defending, #3 Overall
Nukes Sent: 482 | Nukes Taken: 165

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarBi-cycle War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Konkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konkrage View Post
I've asked this. They said I could test out but that I would just have to take a higher level course to replace the course I wasn't taking.

As far as test records, what I'm looking at now is they are saying my actual grade is a 64.67. The problem with that is, the grade has been displayed as an 80. I studied as if I had made an 80. Everything I did on the course was on the pretense that I made an 80 on the second exam. I just wanted a B, but with this update I'll likely be struggling to even pass.

To further illustrate the level of teaching I have, my roommate and I turned in the same homework assignment. The answers rounded to the same exact four decimal places. He made an 85, I got a 69.
Take pictures of that, then make copies. Once you have them, take a copy and show it to the dean of the college. There are two things you can do as a college instructor to get in trouble, and that's one of them. With ammo like that you can raise as about as much hell as you need until you get your grade back.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Extractum11
Extra CUM

Do you know this TA personally? Do they know anyone that is not happy with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
There are two things you can do as a college instructor to get in trouble, and that's one of them.
Only two? So unimaginative
ODN WarEquilibrium WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardInspector General's Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extractum11 View Post
Do you know this TA personally? Do they know anyone that is not happy with you?

Only two? So unimaginative
Actually, I know this because I had to file an official complaint against a teacher last year. At least at the University of Illinois, you can only really get in trouble for capricious grading and sexual harassment. Willful incompetence, I discovered, is not grounds for disciplinary action, even if it should be.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
Konkrage
Xineoph touched me here.

Nation: Konkrage1

I do not have pictures of the 80 exam grade, just the assignment. I didn't realize I would need them. If I bring up the assignment (which is from a different class) then they'll realize I did the assignment with someone else, which is not allowed, and could give me a 0 or fail me.

Casualties Peak Rank: #1 Defending, #3 Overall
Nukes Sent: 482 | Nukes Taken: 165

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarBi-cycle War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Konkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konkrage View Post
I do not have pictures of the 80 exam grade, just the assignment. I didn't realize I would need them. If I bring up the assignment (which is from a different class) then they'll realize I did the assignment with someone else, which is not allowed, and could give me a 0 or fail me.
Oh, if the homework is from another class then it won't matter for the exam thing.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Extractum11
Extra CUM

Quote:
Actually, I know this because I had to file an official complaint against a teacher last year. At least at the University of Illinois, you can only really get in trouble for capricious grading and sexual harassment. Willful incompetence, I discovered, is not grounds for disciplinary action, even if it should be.
I can teach while on LSD? I should become a college professor

Quote:
Oh, if the homework is from another class then it won't matter for the exam thing.
I believe he meant that the homework was for the same course, but his roommate has lecture at a different time/teacher. Which, by the way, probably explains the discrepancies between the grades. Grader leniency can make or break GPA's.

Also Konk, what did you actually get on the exam? Do you know when (approximately) the grade changed?

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
education, hate, short, story, system