The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Default Re: net neutrality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroponce View Post
Seriously, it’s a big nothing-burger. The internet blew past all expectations from it’s inception through 2015 without Net Neutrality regulations in place. And nothing is going to happen with those regulations repealed. If some ISP was stupid enough to ban certain websites and customers chose not to respond like a market would, then let the government try to fix the problem. (When it’s actually a problem).

If I had a dollar for every time a leftist was wrong, the leftists in Congress would try to tax the shit out of me.
You are an idiot if you think Net Neutrality in the states is 2 years old. It has been in effect since the Telecommunications Act of 1996. (Source: https://www.wired.com/2013/11/so-the...et-neutrality/ ). It was passed around courts for over a year in 2014-15 then finally reinstated by the FCC in 2015. Literally a week after it went down the first time a telecom, Comcast, went to work on Netflix and throttled their data speeds because they could. (Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-re...-with-comcast/ ). Did the government intervene? No. They went to court where the result was Netflix paid Comcast for the right to use bandwidth that Comcast's mutual customers were already paying for. What might I ask do you think is going to be gain from removing neutrality? Proliferation of ISP's? Try again. Most of the current infrastructure was built and paid for decades ago by the US government in the hopes that it would be a public use to try to garner competition. You know what happened? The ISP's said no thanks but thanks for the network. How many places can you find more than 2 high speed ISP's in the US? Hell a lot of non-urban areas are constrained to 1. Assuming magical Christmas land does happen and more ISP's do sprout up, they would have to make agreements to either use existing structures (to which the ones in possession of the property can set whatever rate they please and bandwidth allotted... FREE MARKET BABY!!!) or build their own network (Extremely high cost to engineer and maintain for would likely amount to at best nominal gain). But hey the Left said it was a bad idea and they can never be right. Keep eating that Fox News propaganda.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Quote:
Free market at work, and thank God for it. The internet got along just fine before Net Neutrality was a thing in 2015 and when people see that nothing bad happens we can forget about this hullabaloo.
It would be beneficial for you to diversify sources of information and news in general. Easy to do with a free internet, but perhaps you don't know what you got till it's gone

It might interest you to know that the vast majority of the republican electorate is also pro net neutrality, not just the "libtards". But feel free to keep getting your opinions directly from the horse's mouth, in this case the networks and officials already in the pocket of the ISPs.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica

I started to compose a response before I realized that it’s pointless arguing with people who have rejected all reason. So I’m just going to link to a podcast excerpt to educate yourselves should you so wish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBnPAi0WgxM

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Quote:
I started to compose a response before I realized that it’s pointless arguing with people who have rejected all reason. M[/url]
83% of the US population is wrong? It's possible, it'd certainly be an awfully big coincidence. Even if this amount of people have rejected all reason, shouldn't they still be heard in a democracy?

----------

If you factor in the undecideds, you find yourself within a tiny proportion of the populace actually actively against net neutrality. Now I'm not saying that sanity is statistical but maybe, just maybe you're in a bubble? There's probably more flatearthers and antivaxxers than anti-net neutrality folks

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Alexander Kerensky

Nation: Strana Mechty

Discord name: Alexander

Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardEducation AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardMost Serious Legionnaire
Alexander Kerensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #16
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:
I started to compose a response before I realized that it’s pointless arguing with people who have rejected all reason. So I’m just going to link to a podcast excerpt to educate yourselves should you so wish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBnPAi0WgxM
Bandwidth was never an issue. Again respond to the 2 sourced articles I referenced. Oh wait you cannot. Instead let us deflect that saying bandwidth is available to cover traffic (of course it is no one ever said it wasn't... why do you think the system is working?) and government bad. This crackpot expert also decided to exclude 2 vitally important facts from his theory:

a) current ISP's own the infrastructure and it is not cost effective for must companies (especially new ones) to run new lines.

b) ISP's are giant corporations that are just as greedy and irresponsible about how they treat their customers as the government is. Corporations are not living beings. They do not eat, sleep or vote. They simply exist to maximize profit and to protect their shareholders.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
net, neutrality