The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: Really? Some people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper View Post
sure you can kill a few deputies but the idea is that without AP it's gonna be hard for you to kill SWAT members. really though, if the argument for guns is to safeguard people from the government, then you're going to need far more than 80 million people with 240 million small arms because the u.s. military can bulldoze through that if given the time to. you can get into the nuances of supplying the military for that, which is almost entirely a civilian venture, but generally speaking if you pit the u.s. military against joe rebel, joe rebel's dead.
I counter with the revolution in Syria. Assad has armored vehicles, jets, helicopter gunships, and chemical weapons all the thing that should make quashing an armed revolution easy; and the rebels are doing quite a number on him.

Are the rebels being killed in droves? Absolutely. They are showing, however, that a determined civilian insurrection can put up a serious challenge to even a fully equipped military that has no qualms about butchering bystanders.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper View Post
guns aren't there to safeguard against tyranny anymore because the forces of tyranny is stronger than that.
Very well I shall begin proposing legislation for every family to have a tank and surface to air missiles. The only true path to freedom.

Seriously though I'm on the other side of the argument but that is a very good point. The Founders couldn't imagine a day in age where a person on a laptop could wipe out a city if he happened to be the President with a push of a button. But does that mean we just throw out the second amendment because it is no longer capable of serving its intended purpose? If we say yes to this go ahead and throw the tenth out to, it's been a useless amendment since the Civil War anyway.

I'd be in favor of background checks on the grounds of mental stability but I'm afraid once you start legislating restrictions on a right it won't stop, incrementally until it's gone. (I would say the same is happening right now with the first amendment freedom of religion is freedom of 'worship' now and free speech is only what doesn't breed 'hate'. Who defines hate? Could speech that damages the governments power be hateful? Who knows.)

EDIT: Didn't see your comment Tom and wanted to get to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
I counter with the revolution in Syria. Assad has armored vehicles, jets, helicopter gunships, and chemical weapons all the thing that should make quashing an armed revolution easy; and the rebels are doing quite a number on him.

Are the rebels being killed in droves? Absolutely. They are showing, however, that a determined civilian insurrection can put up a serious challenge to even a fully equipped military that has no qualms about butchering bystanders.
I would like to think about the same thing would happen in America if we needed it but unless there was a split within the military and we gained some actual Army, Air Force, Navy etc support on all sides it would be a massacre on the peoples side. The people there are fighting a military that simply can't compare to American military might. There might be more of the people to balance it out but we also have more military to compensate.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

The key in Syria, as with most success revolutions, started because the government shot first. I'll freely say if Joe Rebel starts the fight, Joe Rebel loses.

But we live in a society where every home and business is teeming with the materials to make potent IED's, not counting the millions of firearms. The idea that a military in a developed country could just walk over even a medium scale revolution that came to fight is not true. Given that most people in the West like their freedoms more than the government, it's not even a sure thing that the military would even win.

Would I like to find out just how a revolution like the one we're discussing would play out? Absolutely not. However, the fewer things you allow the citizenry to own and the more power you give to the government, you further the scales shift in the government's favor. If you think that the we're only the grace of god away from having the government become an authoritarian state that could put down any armed revolt, the correct response in my eyes is not to give the citizens LESS of a chance.

Also, still waiting on a reply to my first post. If the government can chip away at one of the rights enshrined in the constitution, why do you think the freedoms you actually care about aren't soon to be on the chopping block?

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Generalissimo Kirk

Nation: Kirkbekistan

Guess how many school shootings there have been in the UK since guns were banned. I personally can't see any good argument for civilians being allowed to own guns, but I come from a country where gun ownership is not part of our culture so nobody has to convince me to give something up.
Great War IIIEquilibrium WarDoom WarNuclear Survivor
Generalissimo Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Staccs
More butts, more bucks, never giving more fucks

Nation: RaccNation

Discord name: Staccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Kirk View Post
Guess how many school shootings there have been in the UK since guns were banned. I personally can't see any good argument for civilians being allowed to own guns, but I come from a country where gun ownership is not part of our culture so nobody has to convince me to give something up.
That argument is old. You can't compare countries.
ODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement Award
Staccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Generalissimo Kirk

Nation: Kirkbekistan

Just because it's an old argument, doesn't make it a bad one. If kids can't get a hold of guns, they can't shoot their classmates.

----------

I already acknowledged the fact that there is a different culture and that being asked to give up something is very different to never having it in the first place. It seems like a simple solution from the persepective of someone who has never been inclined to own a gun, butnI'm sure it's a very different argument for people who already have them/ have the right to own one. I have just never heard a good argument for owning one.

----------

I realise that this is a much more emotional issue for people in America than it is in other parts of the world, so I won't continue to take part in the discussion (it's not my country, so it's not really my business). You can just consider my input so far as the view of an outsider.
Great War IIIEquilibrium WarDoom WarNuclear Survivor
Generalissimo Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalissimo Kirk View Post
Just because it's an old argument, doesn't make it a bad one. If kids can't get a hold of guns, they can't shoot their classmates.

----------

I already acknowledged the fact that there is a different culture and that being asked to give up something is very different to never having it in the first place. It seems like a simple solution from the persepective of someone who has never been inclined to own a gun, butnI'm sure it's a very different argument for people who already have them/ have the right to own one. I have just never heard a good argument for owning one.
Just a few days ago, a shopkeeper in Chicago was attacked by a thug with a gun. The shopkeeper fought back with the most powerful weapon he could legal have to protect his shop: a baseball bat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRRwZLaP1o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRRwZLaP1o[/ame]

I've never heard a good argument for why law abiding citizens should be kept from having the same weapons that will be used against them in an attack.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
MeltedLazerz
The Supreme Ducktator

Nation: Jakulia

There have been plenty of studies showing little to no correlation between guns per capita and violent crime rate. Basically this means that whether or not we ban guns or not, there is likely to have little effect on the violent crime rate. However there is also the issue of the government infringing on constitutional rights and how that sets a precedent, etc etc etc. Instead what should be done is greater regulations and background checks on people who want to buy guns (I don't know much about buying guns in the States but from what I've heard almost anyone can get a gun pretty easily) to make sure that we don't have potentially unstable people buying guns.

Also there is no reason for civilians to have automatic weapons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
ML is best duck
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
MeltedLazerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Staccs
More butts, more bucks, never giving more fucks

Nation: RaccNation

Discord name: Staccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedLazerz View Post
There have been plenty of studies showing little to no correlation between guns per capita and violent crime rate. Basically this means that whether or not we ban guns or not, there is likely to have little effect on the violent crime rate. However there is also the issue of the government infringing on constitutional rights and how that sets a precedent, etc etc etc. Instead what should be done is greater regulations and background checks on people who want to buy guns (I don't know much about buying guns in the States but from what I've heard almost anyone can get a gun pretty easily) to make sure that we don't have potentially unstable people buying guns.

Also there is no reason for civilians to have automatic weapons.
Not only automatic weapons but also military weapons.
ODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement Award
Staccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
killer04
Dinky Doo

Nation: Iwait

Discord name: killer04

Military weapons can be fun to shoot though!!! I want a AR-15 in 7.62 to go hog hunting with. As I said earlier, owning of any automatic weapon made after 1984 is illegal and you are required to have a background check done by the BATF and pay a tax. I am really curious to actually see a statistic on violent crimes committed with a legal automatic weapon. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, to the point owning a handgun was basically illegal, yet they still had a very high number of violent crimes.

Quote:
[20:55] <~Wenulu> i will have to invest in a new stalker
[20:55] <&killer04|Legion|HMFIC> manoka does a good job
[20:55] <~Wenulu> omg
[20:56] <~Wenulu> no thanks ill keep you
Quote:
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> fuck it, if i have to declare war because of this i will
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> let em have it
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
killer04 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
people