The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

View Poll Results: Should the Death Penalty be Legal?
Yes, by lethal injection 5 23.81%
Yes, by hanging 3 14.29%
Yes, by the electric chair 1 4.76%
No 12 57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #1
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Ragnar

Default Death Penalty

In the US, the death penalty is legal in 32 states and illegal in 18 states and the District of Columbia.

There are 11 states that permit the use of the death penalty for crimes other than murder. These categories are:

Treason - 9
Espionage - 1
Aircraft Piracy - 1
Hijacking an Aircraft - 1
Drug Trafficking - 1

Do you condone the use of the death penalty? Why?

If you are not in the US, is the death penalty used in your country and for what offenses?
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

Default Re: Death Penalty

Canada hasn't executed anyone since 1962 and has officially removed the death penalty 40 years ago. It is also unlawful to extradite someone from Canada to a country where they might face the death penalty, and it has long been the policy of the government (except for a few years under the previous conservative government) to demand clemancy for all Canadians condemned to it abroad.

From 1859 until 1967, capital punishment was possible for murder, rape, and treason. Over this period it became increasingly rare and by the end was mostly handed for the murder of law enforcement officers as far as I know. Between 1914 and 1967, there were many (failed) votes in parliament to abolish the death penalty. Executions used to be by hanging under the British regime, and by decapitation under the French regime.

Personally I'm against capital punishment, but that's only because I have never heard any valid argument in its favour.

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award

Last edited by scozy; 11-12-2016 at 02:29 PM.
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
icey9184
Mr.Icey

Nation: red dragon

Discord name: icey9184

what about other means of death they still have beheading firing squad and probably a few others
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement Award
icey9184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
mojo882

Nation: kolsara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case
Unjust WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator Award
mojo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
Firkinvald

I also meant to mention the use of execution vans in China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_van
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 11-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Hasc
I like pie

Nation: Empire of Minho

Discord name: Hasc

I believe that nobody has the right to take someone else's life, no matter what said person has done. Is it a danger to the rest of the community? Put it in a high security jail.

Everybody has the right to life, so taking it from someone is just something so definitive and with incredible consequences, that I honestly can't understand how people think we should continue to do it. In fact, I believe that as today we look back on slavery and have trouble finding how people back then allowed it to happen and considered it "normal", in the future, people will look back at us and will have trouble understanding the way we treat our prisoners, in particularly, that we execute some of them.

I can't say I like my country very much, but at least I can take pride in saying that I live in a country that was one of the first in the world to abolish it in 1867.
Equilibrium WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationMost Improved Legionnaire
Hasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Mister Mister
Your advertisement here.

Nation: Misteria

Discord name: misteria

I couldnt disagree with you more.

The moment you take another's person rights for granted and rob or rape or murder them,that is the time you have forefeit your right to exist on this planet..
Nuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardRecruitment Service Award
Mister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #8
Firkinvald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasc View Post
I believe that nobody has the right to take someone else's life, no matter what said person has done. Is it a danger to the rest of the community? Put it in a high security jail.
Who pays for the high security jail? If someone murders your family, would you be willing to put 10% of your income towards keeping them alive and well in a high security jail where they would be properly nourished and all of their medical needs attended to? And make these payments for the next 50 years?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #9
Lord Emperor Clot
No, not really....

Nation: Clotvania

I used to think that the death penalty had some value as a deterrent to murderers, but as I grow older and have more of a holistic pro-life set of ethics, it contradicts with my other values. I know that those who commit capital crimes are often sociopathic and have no regard for the law to begin with. That said, there is still a place for the death penalty- maybe- for treason, but that is more of a governmental or military issue than a civilian one. At least that is where I am at the moment. Terrorism may also fall in more of a governmental place where a military execution of the terrorist is acceptable. But a crime of passion over a jilted love affair is hardly the same thing, if you get my meaning.
Equilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon
Lord Emperor Clot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #10
Firkinvald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
I couldnt disagree with you more.

The moment you take another's person rights for granted and rob or rape or murder them,that is the time you have forefeit your right to exist on this planet..

I would not support robbery as a reason for the death penalty.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
death, penalty