The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with his form of protest?
Yes, I would do the same. 7 31.82%
No, one should never disrespect one's country. 4 18.18%
No ... and he should be banned from the NFL. 1 4.55%
No, all lives (not just Black) matter. 7 31.82%
No, it's a distraction for his team. 2 9.09%
No, but I agree with why he's doing it. 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Ragnar

Default Colin Kaepernick

By now you may have heard about Colin Kaepernick, the multi-million-dollar quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers and his refusal to stand during the national anthem played before every NFL game. When questioned by media about his decision, he revealed his Black Lives Matter sympathies as he blamed it on US oppression of African-Americans and other minorities.

“I’m not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the streets and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
RyuNura
Lord of Jenock

Nation: Jenock

Default Re: Colin Kaepernick

I feel that he should be allowed to do as he pleases. America is a "free" country after all.
Ich Dien Gold Award
RyuNura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

All certainly agree that all lives matter. The thing is, if you are a white American, your life does as a matter of fact matter to the police, the judicial system, and the institutions in general. Does it if you are a black American?

So yes, not standing up for a country in which systemic racism in so deeply ingrained is commandable.

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scozy View Post
All certainly agree that all lives matter. The thing is, if you are a white American, your life does as a matter of fact matter to the police, the judicial system, and the institutions in general. Does it if you are a black American?

So yes, not standing up for a country in which systemic racism in so deeply ingrained is commandable.
Blacks are a legally protected class in the United States. Whites are not.

Black Lives Matter is funded by George Soros for the specific purpose of creating racial tension and demonizing white people.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
killer04
Dinky Doo

Nation: Iwait

Discord name: killer04

Hate to break it to you, law enforcement really give no fucks about what race you are. The media just loves picking up on any story that could have any relation to being racially motivated.

Quote:
[20:55] <~Wenulu> i will have to invest in a new stalker
[20:55] <&killer04|Legion|HMFIC> manoka does a good job
[20:55] <~Wenulu> omg
[20:56] <~Wenulu> no thanks ill keep you
Quote:
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> fuck it, if i have to declare war because of this i will
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> let em have it
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
killer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Molagbal

Nation: Poland

Discord name: Molagbal

Alliance:
North Atlantic Defense Coaltion

The thing is, what makes America great is that you can protest like this freely. I disagree with the way he has chosen to protest, but it is what it is, I think it would be foolish to for him to be punished for saying his opinion.
Molagbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molagbal View Post
The thing is, what makes America great is that you can protest like this freely. I disagree with the way he has chosen to protest, but it is what it is, I think it would be foolish to for him to be punished for saying his opinion.
I agree with you less and less strongly as I see my allies punished with impunity for expressing their views, while my opposition claims that "they're just expressing an opinion."

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae

Discord name: happy5214

Let me preface this by saying that I am one-quarter African American, even though you probably couldn't tell by looking at me, and my father (who is half African American) served in the Air Force for 30 years.

I agree wholeheartedly that he has a right to protest in this fashion. People in the past have "disrespected" the flag and the anthem for all sorts of reasons. The First Amendment allows that. I will also argue that racial discrimination is a real issue, simply because you cannot make this up on this big of a scale. Perception is reality, and the mere belief that police relations with minorities are strained, regardless of whether anything real is causing it, is a problem in and of itself.

That being said, I disagree with his specific actions. First, as I voted (for a view that I added to the poll. ), it's a huge distraction to himself and his team. What Firk left out is that Kaepernick will likely be a backup for the 49ers this season because of injury and poor performance last season. I'm sure he did not intend to create a firestorm for matters unrelated to football, but he must have realized that it was a possibility. The message he is trying to convey (my interpretation: America is not living to its ideals because of unequal treatment of minorities.) is getting lost because of the job he has (which is one covered by the media like no other) and his manner of protest (deemed anti-military, anti-American, or at the very least unpatriotic). If he keeps doing it, the story will get old quickly in our 24-hour media cycle. But what will he have accomplished other than bringing unwelcome attention to his employer and co-workers without truly advancing the much-needed conversation of rectifying the racial inequities that have dogged this country since the colonial era.

Tom: there is a reason why white Americans aren't a protected class and other racial and ethnic minorities are. Whites did not generally discriminate against their own kind, while collectively they did institutionally treat several minority groups (blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, etc.) as inferior, second-class citizens, or even as non-citizens. Minorities need protection from discrimination by whites. Whites don't need that protection.
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Staccs
More butts, more bucks, never giving more fucks

Nation: RaccNation

Discord name: Staccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer04 View Post
Hate to break it to you, law enforcement really give no fucks about what race you are. The media just loves picking up on any story that could have any relation to being racially motivated.
Says the white guy.
ODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement Award
Staccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
killer04
Dinky Doo

Nation: Iwait

Discord name: killer04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccs View Post
Says the white guy.
No, it is being said by the guy that works with law enforcement and should have his own badge and gun soon.

Quote:
[20:55] <~Wenulu> i will have to invest in a new stalker
[20:55] <&killer04|Legion|HMFIC> manoka does a good job
[20:55] <~Wenulu> omg
[20:56] <~Wenulu> no thanks ill keep you
Quote:
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> fuck it, if i have to declare war because of this i will
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> let em have it
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
killer04 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
colin, kaepernick