The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Arcadian

Default Re: Why do I watch the superbowl?

I catch the Super Bowl when I can, I've watched bits of it for the past few years now

This year I watched the entire first quarter, and then sporadically until the half, stayed on for Katy Perry... and then I watched the last 12 minutes of the last quarter

this year, I learned a pass is "incomplete" only when it touches the ground

Still not sure about tons of the rules - like I figured out the similarities to rugby, and touchdowns and stuff from movies - but like when there's jargon like "1st and 10", I'm guessing that's "first down and..." what? Ten yards since the last 'down' or something?

But then it goes to crap when it magically switches to "1st and goal" and then I just get really confused

----------

Just makes me wish I was rich enough to go on exchange to USA-land and partay with some hot American girls

I'll charm them with my Australia-land sayings

oh yes, and learn this american football thingy

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #12
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire View Post
I catch the Super Bowl when I can, I've watched bits of it for the past few years now

This year I watched the entire first quarter, and then sporadically until the half, stayed on for Katy Perry... and then I watched the last 12 minutes of the last quarter

Still not sure about tons of the rules - like I figured out the similarities to rugby, and touchdowns and stuff from movies - but like when there's jargon like "1st and 10", I'm guessing that's "first down and..." what? Ten yards since the last 'down' or something?

But then it goes to crap when it magically switches to "1st and goal" and then I just get really confused

----------

Just makes me wish I was rich enough to go on exchange to USA-land and partay with some hot American girls

Do you know what an "Aussie Bite" is? You can by them here in Arizona.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:

----------

In American football, you get 4 "downs" or plays to move the ball 10 yards. If you move 10+ yards, you get a new set of downs, (but you don't stockpile them), but if you don't, the other team gets the ball. So for most of the game, if you don't get 10 yards by 4th down, you have to punt the ball away or try a field goal.

"Xth down and (whatever)" tell you which play in the set of downs it is, and how far they have to go to get a new set of downs. When it gets to be 1st and goal, that means they started the set of downs within 10 yards of the goal, and the team has 4 downs to either score or turn the ball over. Since you can end up being more than 10 yards away by getting sacked or penalties, they don't say X number of yards, since the goal line is where it is.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
In American football, you get 4 "downs" or plays to move the ball 10 yards. If you move 10+ yards, you get a new set of downs, (but you don't stockpile them), but if you don't, the other team gets the ball. So for most of the game, if you don't get 10 yards by 4th down, you have to punt the ball away or try a field goal.

"Xth down and (whatever)" tell you which play in the set of downs it is, and how far they have to go to get a new set of downs. When it gets to be 1st and goal, that means they started the set of downs within 10 yards of the goal, and the team has 4 downs to either score or turn the ball over. Since you can end up being more than 10 yards away by getting sacked or penalties, they don't say X number of yards, since the goal line is where it is.
I think you should just get a rich American girl friend ... a pen pal perhaps ... and get her to take you to an American Football game.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #15
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

Quote:

[/COLOR]Just makes me wish I was rich enough to go on exchange to USA-land and partay with some hot American girls

Never change
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #16
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkinvald View Post
Do you know what an "Aussie Bite" is? You can by them here in Arizona.
Uhh... describe them?

My first thought were Tim Tams which are like chocolate biscuit thingies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post

ohhhhhhhhhhhh okay that makes more sense now

Mystery solved.

I'm sure I'll have more questions again after next year's Super Bowl (it's the only game on free to air here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkinvald View Post
I think you should just get a rich American girl friend ... a pen pal perhaps ... and get her to take you to an American Football game.
I have so many friends who went on America-land exchange - almost all to the University of Connecticut (apparently they love Aussies there) - and they are all now honourary 'Huskies' or whatever they are

Their photos make me jealous

It won't be the same if I get a rich American girlfriend -after- I graduate, because I won't be able to have college super happy fun fun time with her

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavictim82 View Post
Never change
no but srsly

One of the defining images of an American exchange was a Facebook status my friend who went on exchange posted - she had lost her laptop, someone had found it in the next state and offered to pay for "petrol" (gas) for the trip there and back

An American friend commented 'AHAHAHAHAHA "PETROL", I LOVE IT!'

i just want in on that

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
superbowl, watch