The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

View Poll Results: NFL in England
I have attended a game and liked it. 0 0%
I have attended a game and did not like it. 0 0%
I have never attended a game, but am a great fan of American football. 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Ragnar

Default NFL in England

Recently, the NFL has reached agreement to play more games in England.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...kenham-stadium

I was wondering what that experience is like.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

Default Re: NFL in England

No offence, but you have forgotten to include "I have never attended a game, and am not a fan of American football."

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scozy View Post
No offence, but you have forgotten to include "I have never attended a game, and am not a fan of American football."
I suppose I could have added that, but I am trying to determine if my next visti to the UK should include attending an NFL game.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Have you ever seen an American football game on TV?

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
mojo882

Nation: kolsara

my friend at work went to a game, he said it was great, he liked the t-shirt cannons hah, how murican
Unjust WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator Award
mojo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Watcher
Dream Potato

Nation: Gambrin

Discord name: Watcher

Its an interesting thought but they need like 2 million fans in a local to get a team fully I think.

~"I got all the numbers! That's Wade Boggs style baby." - Charlie Kelly ~
*Lord Protector of the Legion*
*Patron Saint of Invicta*

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

I think while the action is going, American football is more exciting than soccer. I also think the theory and strategy of American football is more interesting.

But there's a ton of down time in American football as well.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Watcher
Dream Potato

Nation: Gambrin

Discord name: Watcher

I've seen both live and both are fun in their own right. I definitely ate more during American football.

and during American Baseball oh man. They don't call it a beer in every hand and a new one every few innings for nothing.

My poor younger bro was cute. He thought those 2 beers were going to be split between us. Nope. That was just inning 1.

~"I got all the numbers! That's Wade Boggs style baby." - Charlie Kelly ~
*Lord Protector of the Legion*
*Patron Saint of Invicta*

WSA WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonEducation AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFappiest Legionnaire
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
I've seen both live and both are fun in their own right. I definitely ate more during American football.

and during American Baseball oh man. They don't call it a beer in every hand and a new one every few innings for nothing.

My poor younger bro was cute. He thought those 2 beers were going to be split between us. Nope. That was just inning 1.
American baseball is only slightly higher speed than my other hobby: glacier racing.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #10
Regent Pancras
Gin Monstrosity

Nation: Unification

Discord name: RegentPancras

Football (soccer) is the prominent sport in England. No other sport comes anywhere close to either the fan-base, mass participation or media coverage. Cricket and Rugby Union are long 2nd and 3rd in popularity - although they rarely compete - Cricket is a summer sport and Rugby a winter one - in fact many towns share facilities like changing rooms between the two as they vary rarely have fixtures at the same time.

American Football has had its status raised by the annual games at Wembley and the new deal to take it to Twickenham is a very exciting one. It is still very much a minority sport with very little participation - and none in schools and colleges.

It's probably unlikely to ever get beyond that status in England - the main problem with it becoming popular is few people understand the rules even though they are quite easy to pick up once you start actually studying the game.

I think they will have no problem getting fans to go to the games at Twickenham but it is likely to be as fans of the game, not as fans of the teams playing on the pitch which takes some of the soul away.

It is unthinkable for two premiership football teams to play competitive matches overseas - the fans would be in open revolt. So don't expect Manchester United v Arsenal at LA Galaxy in the near future...
In Peace: Goodwill.

GMT+1

WHERE IS MY FUCKING MEDAL?

Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Regent Pancras is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
england, nfl