The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

View Poll Results: How should Creationism/Intelligent Design be taught in schools?
It should be taught and Evolution banned 0 0%
It should be taught as superior to Evolution 2 4.35%
It should be taught equal to Evolution 10 21.74%
It should be taught but inferior to Evolution 5 10.87%
It should be banned and Evolution alone taught 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Patrick MacFarlane

Nation: Crakatoa
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: PMacFarlane

Default Creationism/Intelligent Design and Evolution

What are the thoughts on this?

Should Creationism/ID be taught in school systems? and how should this issue be approached?

“Death sits in the chair across from me and watches.
Death sees but has no eyes.
Death knows but has no mind.

We often sit together in the night.
Death has one move left.
I have none."
Doom WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardDefense Medal of Valor
Patrick MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Default Re: Creationism/Intelligent Design and Evolution

Kids shouldn't be put in situations where they aren't prepared to evaluate evidence. We shouldn't have kids "studying" "science" when they can neither read nor evaluate the mathematical data used to construct scientific theories.

If a kid can read both sides of an argument and actually evaluate data, it won't matter what we teach because they'll be able to come to their own conclusions. If they can't, it still probably won't matter what we teach because they won't understand it and thus won't remember it.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia

chose option 5: It should be banned and Evolution alone taught

i don't believe in teaching belief.

really its a time tested experience. constant ongoing evaluation and reevaluation should give a person enough ability to objectively reason. do i create and live my own experience or am i constantly moved for no apparent reason by something i cannot prove to any other person because any event i attribute to some higher power isn't replicable without subjective before objective input?
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 AM   #4
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

My school taught Theory of Knowledge or TOK as part of the IB programme. Kind of hated it at the time because it covered so much obvious and plain subject matter, but it definitely has a lot more value than teaching Creationism ever can.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
Iron Wolf
The war drums have a groovy dance beat

Nation: Rising Force

Discord name: Iron_Wolf

I expect schools public or private to teach kids to improve their logic and reasoning skills, read and understand at least one language, and understand how theories become fact. If a private school has clients that want religious ideology taught in addition, that is their call as parents and providers.

Teach the kids/students the most scientifically provable facts and theories. It's up to the parents to indoctrinate religious belief into their kids. I don't expect or want a school to teach my kids my faith. That's my job as a parent.

Captain, Imperial Zombie Infantry (ret), Knight of the Undead Legion

Glory -- Sometimes, you just have to draw your weapons, say "f*ck it" and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
Good people can see me panic as I legit though the alliance was going to hand me my balls over the city gates.

We were 2 steps away from a Watcher baked potato.
One Day WarGreat War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Iron Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #6
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

They should both be taught: evolution in the science class, and creationism in the religious culture class. ('Religious culture' is a thing in the Quebec curriculum, but I'm not sure whether or how it would translate in other places.)

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
Firkinvald

Nation: Firkinland

Discord name: Ragnar

Don't teach religion in school unless it's a religious school.
Order on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardInspector General's Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorEconomics Distinguished Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Firkinvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Lord Emperor Clot
No, not really....

Nation: Clotvania

As religion answers the questions of "why?" and science purports to answer the questions of "how?", both should be taught. A person who learns only faith can be horribly superstitious and not see how big their God truly is. A person who learns only science may well know how the world works, yet kill themselves out of despair and ignorance of their place in that world.
In a culture where a huge percentage of Americans don't even know who their senator is, a well rounded citizen is a rarity. Teach 'em both.
Equilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardDefense Medal of ValorEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service Ribbon
Lord Emperor Clot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Patrick MacFarlane

Nation: Crakatoa

Discord name: PMacFarlane

Let me begin my stance by saying that I DO NOT condone the teaching of religion in schools as a method of indoctrination. I do, however, believe that students, when they are of a certain age, should be exposed to as many different religions and ways of life as possible to prepare them from the diversities of adulthood. I believe schools should expose and open the doors to various religions so that students may study and evaluate them for their own, deeper, understanding.

I believe they should both be taught because, like tom said, we shouldn't be teaching these things until kids are old enough to reason and come to their own conclusions.

I have always been of the opinion that although Religion is faith-based and Science is tangible-based, I have never seen why the two have to contradict and exclude each other. Like Clot said, Religion is *why* and Science is *how*. I believe that seeing how God does what He does is a good pursuit. And if some logical and well-reasoned student can truly have freedom of thought then they should be allowed to chose which parts of the discussion they wish to hold to.

“Death sits in the chair across from me and watches.
Death sees but has no eyes.
Death knows but has no mind.

We often sit together in the night.
Death has one move left.
I have none."
Doom WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardDefense Medal of Valor
Patrick MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia

i think it is an important to differentiate between Creationism/Intelligent Design and religious studies.

religious studies is more holistic in that it is characterized by the belief that the parts of something are intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to the whole.

Creationism/Intelligent Design does not take into account the diversity of world religions, both past and present, and rather references only a limited series of anecdotes considered worthy of belief even if biased.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
creationism or intelligent, design, evolution