The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Helochut

Nation: Acadia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: Marijuana: It’s Time for a Conversation

How many people smoke and allow smoking to control their lives?

I find tobacco just as controlling as any marijuana drug, why should an exception be made for one and not the other?

I find this society far to hypocritical
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service Ribbon
Helochut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Assarax
Lurkin'

Nation: Xandedrat

Discord name: Assarax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamind View Post
And millions of people have died from smoking or alcohol abuse but that's still legal
How many have died as a direct result of marijuana smoking? Now I'm not talking idiots driving under the influence...I'm talking as a direct cause of it...
Zero. There have never been any valid recorded deaths where the direct result was marijuana use. Stuff like this was a scare tactic back in the 1950's and 60s in an effort to keep Americans, generally kids away from that sort of thing. I do think that kids should not be smoking pot, but for adults, its not a big deal.

And helochut, marijuana is actually less controlling than cigarettes or alcohol. Millions of people are addicted to cigarettes, and millions of people are alcoholics. Sure, pot gets you high. But the cravings involved with pot are for food, not another joint or bong hit. Side effects of pot: general euphoria (people giggle and laugh like idiots when they're stoned), hunger (mainly for junk food, of the greasy or crunchy variety, pizza and chips are the most common), and sleepiness (pot is a great sleep aid. If I can't sleep, I pack a one-hitter and it puts me right to sleep).

More Nukes! Less Sophie!

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."
~ Thomas Jefferson, "Notes on Virginia"

May the streets run Orange with ODN blood! I still <3 you though, BDCC.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Loyalty AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Assarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire

Discord name: Imperial

Let's not get started on alcohol then!

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Assarax
Lurkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
Let's not get started on alcohol then!
I drink quite a lot too, but I do believe that alcohol is much more harmful than pot

To quote what I just saw on the link that Melidan posted: "The most dangerous thing about marijuana is being arrested for it". The prohibition of marijuana is just shaping up to be exactly the same as the alcohol prohibition of the 1920's, just without a constitutional amendment making it so.

More Nukes! Less Sophie!

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Loyalty AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award

Last edited by Assarax; 01-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Lincongrad
I ask only for the strength to defend my pixels.

Nation: Lincongrad

I think we have two choices. We can a) legalize marijuana and tax it heavily, similar to cigarettes (although I think cigarettes should be taxed more) or b) keep it illegal but impose fines instead of jail time. Putting someone in jail for marijuana use is ridiculous. Smoking pot doesn't hurt anyone else, so there's no point in taxing our judicial system to keep pot users off the street.

And yeah, Mel, I'm a cop explorer and cops don't give a shit. At all.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarTetris WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Lincongrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Megamind

Nation: MLW worldwide

Discord name: Megamind

What's a cop explorer? It sounds kinky...
Great War IIICoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Megamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
Lincongrad
I ask only for the strength to defend my pixels.

Nation: Lincongrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamind View Post
What's a cop explorer? It sounds kinky...
It does, actually. Our coordinator (post leader) thinks explorer sounds gay, so we're called cadets, which rocks. We make fun of all the other posts.

Basically junior cop volunteers.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarTetris WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Lincongrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
David Ben-Gurion
Veteran Financial Despot

Nation: Swiss Confederation

Discord name: David Ben-Gurion

Imperial is right, it is a gateway drug. Also, a lot of dealers (maybe not by you Assarax) do lace it with PCP and PCP is very bad since it numbs you and people break their bones/kill themselves while high on PCP. Also, studies show that smoking a joint contains as many carcinogens as 4-7 cigarettes since cigarettes have filters and joints don't. However, people usually smoke 20 cigarettes a day and people usually only take a few hits from a joint, not the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire
She sits down and then I say, "Okay, I'll help you with maths now?"

She looks at me and says, "Please leave, you're a distraction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire
She encouraged me to get onto Tinder... and she said she matched up with random guys but she'd never take it any further. Meanwhile I only matched with bots or with girls who would unmatch with me after I said something. Oh well
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarODN WarMaroon WarNSO WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
David Ben-Gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
Assarax
Lurkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincongrad View Post
I think we have two choices. We can a) legalize marijuana and tax it heavily, similar to cigarettes (although I think cigarettes should be taxed more) or b) keep it illegal but impose fines instead of jail time. Putting someone in jail for marijuana use is ridiculous. Smoking pot doesn't hurt anyone else, so there's no point in taxing our judicial system to keep pot users off the street.

And yeah, Mel, I'm a cop explorer and cops don't give a shit. At all.
Yup. Under federal law simple possession, like a gram or an eighth (3.5 grams) may get you up to 1 year in prison. Which would you rather have, incoming taxes from the sale of marijuana, or to have to pay taxes to arrest kids on possession charges?

More Nukes! Less Sophie!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
Megamind

Nation: MLW worldwide

Discord name: Megamind

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
Imperial is right, it is a gateway drug. Also, a lot of dealers (maybe not by you Assarax) do lace it with PCP and PCP is very bad since it numbs you and people break their bones/kill themselves while high on PCP. Also, studies show that smoking a joint contains as many carcinogens as 4-7 cigarettes since cigarettes have filters and joints don't. However, people usually smoke 20 cigarettes a day and people usually only take a few hits from a joint, not the whole thing.
All that is great arguments for legalizing it
Great War IIICoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Silver AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement Award
Megamind is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
conversation, it’s, marijuana, time