The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
IronsightSniper
Legion's Resident AppleJack

Nation:
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default mitt romney releases tax plan details

just read over it, looks good to me honestly.

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/
Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
IronsightSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Bernhard Klein
Howdy there.

Nation: Nieuwlimburg

Discord name: BernhardKlein[FA|TLR]

Alliance:
The Last Republic

Default Re: mitt romney releases tax plan details

Dang, that's a pretty good overview. It might even sway my vote...

It doesn't quite explain the steps, if any, to simplify the code, but I guess that might come in the debates.
Foreign Ministry Nation Exchange Ribbon

Last edited by Bernhard Klein; 10-16-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Bernhard Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Manoka

Nation: Manoka

Discord name: Rawrmansz

Seems legit.

----------

But in all fairness the concept he's going to raise classes on the middle class is purely speculative.

He promises to cut taxes across the board 20% and the whole theory is that without lowering the deficit is that you'd lower the deficit without cutting it on some group, which may be upper class, middle class, lower class etc.

On the other hand, the plan more or less says that cutting taxes will help business by allowing them to hire people and allow people to spend more of their money, increasing the economy and therefore, the amount of taxes we bring in, equalling itself out.

However that's giving Romney specifically more credit than he really deserves since he doesn't really know the idea of it and I don't think it will work. Mostly because it's a buyers market and giving money to the businesses will more or less just be money in their pocket, since they're doing great right now, and millionaires don't spend as much of their money, so in order to help the general economy you'd need to lower taxxes on middle class and simply end the tax cuts on the upper class which is more or less an unnecessary money sink. You'd also need discretionary spending, for businesses that aren't profiting off this "will work more for less" environment we're in right now.

But a lot of people are unemployed; so giving them tax cuts when they aren't making money at all won't help, either.

What we really need to do is start reinvesting social security money into jobs. Not all of it, but people who've been unemployed for 3 years can go work in a shoe factory and if they break even that's no money the government has to pick up, money people have ,and shoes and shirts and stuff, along with improved quality of living for previously unemployed people. Win-win-win.
ODN WarEconomics General Service Award
Manoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
IronsightSniper

Nation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoka View Post
Seems legit.

----------

But in all fairness the concept he's going to raise classes on the middle class is purely speculative.

He promises to cut taxes across the board 20% and the whole theory is that without lowering the deficit is that you'd lower the deficit without cutting it on some group, which may be upper class, middle class, lower class etc.

On the other hand, the plan more or less says that cutting taxes will help business by allowing them to hire people and allow people to spend more of their money, increasing the economy and therefore, the amount of taxes we bring in, equalling itself out.

However that's giving Romney specifically more credit than he really deserves since he doesn't really know the idea of it and I don't think it will work. Mostly because it's a buyers market and giving money to the businesses will more or less just be money in their pocket, since they're doing great right now, and millionaires don't' spend as much of their money, so in order to help the general economy you'd need to lower taxxes on middle class and simply end the tax cuts on the upper class.

But a lot of people are unemployed; so giving them tax cuts when they aren't making money won't help, etheir.

What we really need to do is start reinvesting social security money into jobs. Not all of it, but people who've been unemployed for 3 years can go work in a shoe factory and if they break even that's no money the government has to pick up, money people have ,and shoes and shirts and stuff, along with improved quality of living for previously unemployed people. Win-win-win.
means-tested income security programs have time use limits.
Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
justavictim82
I assure you Legion that I am still the liquor

Nation: AllAboutThePentiums

Discord name: Justavictim82 #0704

My problem with this is why now? Less than a month to go before the election he finally releases them? He has been grilled for months to take a stand. Seems like posteuring to me.

For the record I am voting for 'none of the above'
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Loyalty AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonBronze Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of Excellence
justavictim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Manoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper View Post
means-tested income security programs have time use limits.
Yeah, but what happens when they aren't employed in a given time frame, do we just throw them on the street?

There needs to be some kind of back up replacement even if it's less than ideal.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
IronsightSniper

Nation:

Quote:
Yeah, but what happens when they aren't employed in a given time frame, do we just throw them on the street?

There needs to be some kind of back up replacement even if it's less than ideal.
means-tested means they have that option you speak of

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavictim82 View Post
My problem with this is why now? Less than a month to go before the election he finally releases them? He has been grilled for months to take a stand. Seems like posteuring to me.

For the record I am voting for 'none of the above'
you should click links before talking, child
Old 10-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Manoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper
means-tested means they have that option you speak of
But it's a free market solution more or less and these individuals might pick up litter, do public works etc. but do they produce anything?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
IronsightSniper

Nation:

Quote:
But it's a free market solution more or less and these individuals might pick up litter, do public works etc. but do they produce anything?
you do know what I'm referring to?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Manoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper View Post
you do know what I'm referring to?
Um... uh...