View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #25
Sinatra

Nation: The Rat Pack
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Alliance:
The Legion

Default Re: Universal Healthcare

I'm not really sure whether, as an Englishman, I am at liberty to talk on this matter, but I'd like to mention a few points on the basis about universal healthcare here in the UK.

The British Government over 60 years ago made the commitment to look after each and every one of it's citizens from the "cradle to the grave" regardless of wealth, gender or race. I frankly believe in rich western countries in the moral age we live in, that no country can morally allow members of it's population to suffer from illness and not be able to afford treatment, or force them to financialyl cripple themselves in the pursuit of health.

The NHS consumes around 8-11% of GDP depending on which figures you look at, which is frankly enormous, however health is among the most important expenditures any country can justify. We have high taxation to justify the NHS, however if we can manage to afford it, then I'm in no doubt the richest country in the world can do so to.

I find it humbling that I can walk into any Hospital in the country and get free, no questions asked health care. Whether I need to be stitched up or want to have a chat with my GP, or whether I need a major organ transplant costing hundreds of thousands of pounds, apart from asking where I live, no one will deny me treatment, nor will I have to fill out endless insurance claims.

Now the NHS is by no means perfect, it operates within tight budgetary constraints, lack of choice and waiting lists and so on, however it still offers world class health care for free (beyond nation insurance contributions taken from taxes). And if you are of the wealthier class, you can always opt for a private insurance policy should you so desire. However you will find, many wealthy people have much faith in the NHS and won’t take out private cover.

The French healthcare system is widely regarded as the best in the world, according the World Health Organisation and they operate a relatively universal health care programme.

For me, I just cannot understand why people would want healthcare in the hands of the private sector. Private companies are there to make money, the state is there to serve the people. I know which I would trust. I understand the U.S' love for the free market and mistrust of any state intervention, but the fact is you pay your taxes and you want as much as you can get for your money. You trust the government with your defence and security, so why not your health?

Universal health care is expensive, it causes arguments and at times it may grant limitations in what it can provide. But the knowledge that myself and all my family will get the best health the country can provide no matter what financial situation they are in, is extremely comforting to me, and I for one am proud that the UK has the balls to put its neck on the line, open itself up to criticism and grant healthcare for all.

You will always hear British people talking and debating out the NHS, the reason for that is because it is so very important to us, and something we all feel strongly about.

Applications the US are far different I know. But that is just a brief summation of how Universal healthcare works for us, and my feelings on the moral necessity of healthcare.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Gold AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Sinatra is offline   Reply With Quote