The Legion

The Legion (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Real World (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53805)

Lord Windmark 03-04-2018 04:04 AM

Brexit

Anyone else out there a citizen of an EU member state? Or have any comments to make about Brexit?

For those of you unaware, Brexit is the British plan to leave the European Union on May 2019. This is unprecedented and will probably tank the British Economy. Id like to see what others have to say though, if you have heard about it at all in the news.

Penultidodo 03-05-2018 06:06 AM

Re: Brexit

I live in the Czech Republic and I have been once in the UK. It's really nice there, but unfortunately it may become hard to get there. Not sure why they thought leaving would be better for them.

I would like to hear an opinion from someone living in the UK.

mojo882 03-06-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penultidodo (Post 930562)
I live in the Czech Republic and I have been once in the UK. It's really nice there, but unfortunately it may become hard to get there. Not sure why they thought leaving would be better for them.

I would like to hear an opinion from someone living in the UK.

Sadly years of tabloid newspapers bashing immigrants was enough to sway the majority of the population who voted :(

I also cannot imagine why we voted to leave its crazy

Lord Windmark 03-08-2018 01:47 AM

Im irish and this is a disaster for us aswel. 60% of our trades exports go to Britain, nevermind cluster fuck of a situation up in Northern Ireland. The westminister government under Theresa May made deal with the devil when going into government with the DUP. (Ulster Unionists)

Lord Windmark 07-21-2018 12:10 PM

So David Davis (Secretary for Brexit) and Boris Johnson (Foreign Secretary) are no more, and Theresa May is still in power. The British have absolutely no idea what they are going to do next and Mrs.May is still at the helm. I predict an extremely soft brexit, or a no deal situation due to the EU deciding to not strike a deal due to British inability to agree to certain terms. This is going to be a catastrophe of the highest order.

----------

Also I think it is unfair that Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland have to bend to the wim of The English just because the UK votes as a bloc, they all chose to remain in europe.

happy5214 07-21-2018 02:27 PM

Had Scottish voters known they would have been pulled out of the EU by England's whim, I can't help but think their independence referendum would have resulted in a Yes vote.

Immerael 07-21-2018 03:12 PM

From what I understand May's absolutely terrible leadership is resulting in her own party rebelling, as she manages to make absolutely no one happy with how she is handling it. I.E. The guys I listen to politically are very pro Brexit but they think she's trash.

DanDesade 07-21-2018 03:53 PM

Probably should had handled immigration, work rights and foreign investment differently

Seems those are the issues and sure you have to talk it through parliment but each, and in sum, are not enough for an exit from the EU

tom the pit leader 07-21-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy5214 (Post 933070)
Had Scottish voters known they would have been pulled out of the EU by England's whim, I can't help but think their independence referendum would have resulted in a Yes vote.

So they'd have voted for sovereignty for the sole purpose of giving it up?

Regent Pancras 07-22-2018 02:22 AM

Brexit is nothing short of a total clusterfuck. No good will come from it mark my words.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom the pit leader (Post 933079)
So they'd have voted for sovereignty for the sole purpose of giving it up?

Sovereignty is not lost when you join the EU. You by virtue of treaty make a decision which areas you will share decision making with the other member states. But at any time you can choose to leave those arrangements (as Brexit is proving) therefore you retain sovereignty at all times.