PDA

View Full Version : Army BCT assigned to U.S. mainland

Melidan
09-26-2008, 05:13 AM
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/army_homeland_090708w/

excerpt;

But this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to NorthCom, a joint command established in 2002 to provide command and control for federal homeland defense efforts and coordinate defense support of civil authorities...

They'll learn new skills, use some of the ones they acquired in the war zone and more than likely will not be shot at while doing any of it.
They may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control or to deal with potentially horrific scenarios such as massive poisoning and chaos in response to a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or high-yield explosive, or CBRNE, attack. . . .

The 1st BCT's soldiers also will learn how to use "the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded," 1st BCT commander Col. Roger Cloutier said, referring to crowd and traffic control equipment and nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.

"It's a new modular package of nonlethal capabilities that they're fielding. They've been using pieces of it in Iraq, but this is the first time that these modules were consolidated and this package fielded, and because of this mission we're undertaking we were the first to get it."

The package includes equipment to stand up a hasty road block; spike strips for slowing, stopping or controlling traffic; shields and batons; and, beanbag bullets.

"I was the first guy in the brigade to get Tasered," said Cloutier, describing the experience as "your worst muscle cramp ever -- times 10 throughout your whole body". . . .

The brigade will not change its name, but the force will be known for the next year as a CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force, or CCMRF (pronounced "sea-smurf").

Keep in mind...

Congress passed the Insurrection Act in 1807 to severely restrict the president’s ability to deploy the military within the United States. The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 tightened these restrictions, imposing a two-year prison sentence on anyone who used the military within the U.S. without the express permission of Congress. But there is a loophole: Posse Comitatus is waived if the president invokes the Insurrection Act.

Section 1076 of the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 changed the name of the key provision in the statute book from “Insurrection Act” to “Enforcement of the Laws to Restore Public Order Act.” The Insurrection Act of 1807 stated that the president could deploy troops within the United States only “to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy.” The new law expands the list to include “natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition” — and such “condition” is not defined or limited.

Financial system about to collapse... Dollar about to collapse... Bank failures happening at an increasing rate... All I have to say about this article is... Hmmmmmphhh.....

ParkerBaby
09-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Meh, I don't see this really getting too out of hand. Sure we're in a crisis, but I can't see massive civil unrest breaking out to the point we need the Army to step in. Major city police forces have Riot Control and all that, but I'm guessing this is more a show of force to anyone thinking about starting something up, more than anything.

But then again, YOU NEVER KNOW!

* ParkerBaby barricades herself inside her apartment.

FreeMason
09-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Tyrany! Oppression! It's time for the revolution, brothers!

So...why they doin this?

With all this centralization of banks, money, soldiers, and power in general around the executive branch, it makes you wonder if Bush actually intends to give up office at the end of his term...

Nah, I'm sure giving the president unprecedented amounts of power is totally safe for the stability of our nation and the protection of our freedoms...</sarcasm>

I think this is warranted:

:angry:Commie Bush:angry:
or possibly
:angry:King George:angry:

Villalba
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know, the US army looks like a fruitcake too me.

The possibility of this is clear, if the bail out doesn't pass, banks will close, and lifesavings will go down the drain, paychecks will be rejected, because the banks have insufficient funds. And all of a sudden we have an old fashion coup.

IronsightSniper
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
So they weren't?

ShadowPhoenix
09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Never let the military do what you can do for yourself.

* ShadowPhoenix arms up.
One less person they'll have to defend when the riots get out of hand.

Imperial
09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
If it is only one Brigade, that's a tiny number compared to total active military personnel. Assuming 4,000 soldiers are within the Brigade Combat Team, that's only 80 soldiers per state. Given the size of large urban metropolitan population centers, they would be woefully outnumbered. Given the recent natural disasters and lack of personnel for select security functions, I can semi- see the appeal of this, but seems like an excuse to have the soldiers back home but still keeping them enlisted.

The Corporal
09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Never let the military do what you can do for yourself.

* ShadowPhoenix arms up.
One less person they'll have to defend when the riots get out of hand.

You, sir, are awesome. I keep telling everyone here: stock up on guns, ammo, and canned bacon for when the Apocalypse happens. Those who save themselves don't need to be saved by the Army. :)

mhawk
10-01-2008, 01:22 AM
and more than likely will not be shot at while doing any of it.

Molon Labe.

tom the pit leader
10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I have to say, if there is a riot which is more than a match for SWAT teams, odds are they arn't going to be the enemy. The only kind of riot which ever needed real intervention was the anti draft riot in like 1863 in NY, NY.
That riot was about rich people being able to buy their way out of the draft.

But if there was a real anti-government riot, 4000 isn't going to be enough, because it will be a nationwide event.

Dark Force
10-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I have to say, if there is a riot which is more than a match for SWAT teams, odds are they arn't going to be the enemy. The only kind of riot which ever needed real intervention was the anti draft riot in like 1863 in NY, NY.
That riot was about rich people being able to buy their way out of the draft.

But if there was a real anti-government riot, 4000 isn't going to be enough, because it will be a nationwide event.

I have several guns of my own, and with a military active in the US I'm not really worried. It's when they start banning any type of guns that we have to get worried. An unarmed population cannot fight back against tyranny. The fact that a lot of US citizens own guns is what keeps a government afraid of its people. Otherwise its Nazi Germany all over again in the US.

Ghost22
10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I have several guns of my own, and with a military active in the US I'm not really worried. It's when they start banning any type of guns that we have to get worried. An unarmed population cannot fight back against tyranny. The fact that a lot of US citizens own guns is what keeps a government afraid of its people. Otherwise its Nazi Germany all over again in the US.

Planning on getting together a collection of weapons myself. Gonna need the defense when things go to hell since i'm sure they will.

EnriqueMJ
10-10-2008, 01:31 AM
wow...I guess those pyrotechnic lessons I took are going to come in handy.

lawl

That is scary though.

Villalba
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't go Joker on everyone's ass just yet people.