PDA

View Full Version : Something new

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
http://www.the-fall.net/img/thefallalliance.jpg

How will you forge your empire? Stick it out on your own or have an alliance do it for you. The choice is yours.

http://www.the-fall.net

Arcadian Empire
09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Looks interesting, I'll say.

* Arcadian signs up

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Registration doesn't work.
Looks fun though.

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
It is of course in alpha. The military and empire portions are complete.

However the alliance portion is not. The reason I posted here was to here what players would want for the alliance portion, seeing as how that is the part I am hoping will make my game different.

I already have a lot planned for it such as treaties in game where alliances can actually set terms that will affect the alliance in game. Alliance military units that can be commanded by the alliance in war. In game voting for a variety of topics, message boards, aid request forms, and so on.

What else would you all like to see for alliances?

If you happen to find any bugs, spelling errors, inconsistincies, et cetra please inform me. I would like to have this game working smoothly by release, and the only way for that to happen is through beta testers. All numbers and formulas are subject to change and refinement. A lot of descriptions and graphics are still missing or incomplete only because my focus right now is core game mechanics.

Registration has been enabled now, sorry. I will have forums setup at http://www.the-fall.net/forums/index.php If that link does not work, the one in game will.

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Meh, sounds nice.
Gives real power to the Government.
This should be interesting.

Eh, registration still doesn't work.
Takes me to this error page.

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
What error did it give? I just registered and it worked fine.

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
It was a list of stuff that I don't understand, but it's headed by:
Server Error in '/' Application

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
You may have clicked signup at the moment I was uploading the page you were trying to goto. Try once more, if it still fails can you take a screenshot for me?

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Failed again.
Here's the page.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/LordJacky/pic1.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/LordJacky/pic2.jpg

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Did you by any chance put an apostrophe anywhere?

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
If so remove it, a fix is coming.

I can add it in for you once you register.

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Oooo....
Why yes, my planet name...
Let me try again.
It workles!

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Ya, for anyone who knows about SQL, they will know why an apostrope would cause problems. There was a funny comic about it on xkcd.

I know the page you see when you first login is empty. That page will be done close to last.

For districts and improvments the prices appear when you hover over the purchase button, I'll be putting them as text soon, so it is easier to find out the price.

(I would advise not spending your initial money on a district. You won't need one for a few days or so.)

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I see great promise in this...
I made an alliance, called, "Legion", without the "The".
I made everything fit.
Only the Minister of Foreign Affairs may Approve Treaties, cancel treaties, declare war, declare peace, etc.
Only the Minister of Economics may Send out Aid and such.

It's great really, just needs to fill everything in.

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Actually an alliance called Legion already exsists. I had no intention of leading it, it was just the first one name that came to mind.

If you wish, I'll change Legion to The Legion and I'll join it. No sense having two legions.

I am trying to get my forums up, ftp is being finicky right now.

Illusion
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Wanna be engineers, go figure.

IronsightSniper
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Switch it if you can, I can't find out where to view members of the alliance.

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
That is not done yet, I just started the alliance part today. Searching is unavailable yet.

John Mikhailovich
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
The forums are finally up.

http://www.the-fall.net/forums/index.php

John Steve
09-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sounds pretty slick, eh.

Imperial
09-07-2008, 01:21 PM
IIS fails at being a good web server :P

I'll try registering in a bit.

John Mikhailovich
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
It does, but I have to use it.

For anyone that has register, is the security question easy to understand? Some people have been confused by it.

IronsightSniper
09-07-2008, 01:31 PM
It does, but I have to use it.

For anyone that has register, is the security question easy to understand? Some people have been confused by it.

Somewhat.
* jackyseto123 doesn't like doing negatives
:P

John Mikhailovich
09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Ok, I may change it to a form of captca later.

John Steve
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
IIS fails at being a good web server :P

I'll try registering in a bit.

This is the game I was telling you about, Imperial.

ParkerBaby
09-13-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm signed up and going. Kinda...boring. No pictures or nothing to look at, no shiny things.

* ParkerBaby is not amused.

John Mikhailovich
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I know. This is not even beta yet. It still has a lot to go. The only reason I posted here was to try and ask what people would like to see for alliances and so forth. See what kind of game people would want, then make it. There will be plenty of pictures, descriptions, and shiny things once it is done.

John Steve
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm signed up and going. Kinda...boring. No pictures or nothing to look at, no shiny things.

* ParkerBaby is not amused.

Sorry, PB. I'm the head of the Pictures, Descriptions, and Shiny Things Department for this game, and I'm not done yet. :icon_frown:

ParkerBaby
09-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Sorry, PB. I'm the head of the Pictures, Descriptions, and Shiny Things Department for this game, and I'm not done yet. :icon_frown:

Its aiite, I didn't know its in beta, so I'll shaddup :P

I do like the fact its a little simpler than CN...all you fancy people with your fancy math n stuff...

GRR!!
:evilking:

John Mikhailovich
09-14-2008, 07:54 AM
So what would all of you like to see for alliances? Any specific features you can think of?

John Steve
09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I think you guys'll like alliances. Stuff like intra-alliance aid (grants, rebuilding aid, military aid, etc), alliance-controlled superfleets, delicious alliance R&D programs to create the coolest stuff in the galaxy.

So basically, anything is game as far as suggestions so. Give us your ideas what you most wanted out of CN and more 'n likely we'll be able to put them in.

John Steve
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry to double post, but John Mikhailovich wanted me to ask this one:

As of right now, alliance members in the Fall pay taxes so they can recieve ingame benefits from the alliance such as aid grants and military aid. But what about an option where 'core' members paid taxes and as such got benefits, but 'buffer' members didn't get benefits in order to avoid the tax?

It could be a neat tool to give new alliance members a feel for an alliance before dumping a tax on them, or used in international politics to artifically inflate an alliance's numbers.

Thoughts? Comments?

AzureShadow
10-03-2008, 02:15 AM
I think there should be that option, yes. Some alliances will want to tax all of their members simply because the alliance name is protection in and of itself, while others will only tax for benefits and such.

John Steve
10-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I think there should be that option, yes. Some alliances will want to tax all of their members simply because the alliance name is protection in and of itself, while others will only tax for benefits and such.

Alright, hey, a suggestion! This is stuff we need! Anyone else? This thread is for suggestions while John codes the alliance features.