PDA

View Full Version : Printer ink scam

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Most printers will not allow printing if one ink cartridge is empty. The printer checks the ink with a sensor in the back. You can fool it by placing tape over the part the printer scans, it's in the middle you can see ink cause it's clear. The printer will then think the ink is full and your "empty" ink somehow prints. Some people report around 1800 prints after it was "empty" Save yourself money and do this.

http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-refill-an-ink-cartridge-with-a-small-piece-of-tape

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
also does anyone know if inksoutlet.com is legit?

Megamind
06-02-2010, 12:11 PM
But...if one cartridge is empty then you change that cartridge...or are you saying your american printers doesn't allow you to do that? :O

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
yea.. but that one cartridge isn't actually empty.. my printer won't let me print a typed paper even though my black ink is full. It wouldn't until I did the tape thing cause my other 3 were "empty" but now they all are fully functioning. They have it set up so that when one runs out you can't print till you replace it.

Megamind
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
That sucks! I can print till the writing becomes see-through without any issues :D

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 01:09 PM
capitalism at it's best...

DrSinn
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
I have no idea what I would require with tape, but I fill custom cartridges with a syringe. I probably missed the point, but ive never heard of a printer doing that before. Whats the maker?

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
brother

Watcher
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
The refill kits I get use this same concept to reset the ink level when you refill them. Good to know it works outside of that.

But yeah ink carts are such a scam. Refilling your own ink is awesome.

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
lol yea..

Watcher
06-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Something else I do is I print most things using black ink cartridge only and use fast draft for stuff I only plan to use once or twice (like receipts, driving directions, hotel info, etc). I save a lot of ink that way (black ink is much cheaper then color).

Justin The Terrible
06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't even use the color ink really.. but the printer cleans itself and it uses ink..

IronsightSniper
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a graphic showing the $ per milliliter of select Liquids. Apparently, some Printer Ink cost moar than Human Blood or Penicillin. Something is wrong here, and I don't like what we've become.

Imperial
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Something else I do is I print most things using black ink cartridge only and use fast draft for stuff I only plan to use once or twice (like receipts, driving directions, hotel info, etc). I save a lot of ink that way (black ink is much cheaper then color).

I do the same thing. Color ink is too expensive and I just use fast draft or fast normal for most documents. No need to waste ink on things that don't need a quality print.

Far as my ink goes, I hit up eBay for cheap third party cartridges. Might try taking them to Costco since they added the refill service for $9 I think.

IronsightSniper
06-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Ah, for I have proof!

According to Wikipedia. the average Inkjet Printer Cartridge costs $15, and since it has a capacity of 5 ml, that's $3 per ml. Human Blood costs about $200 per 500 ml, so that's about $0.40 cents per ml.

Imperial
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
So are you encouraging us to print using blood instead of ink? :P

IronsightSniper
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Sure, why not.

Blood comes from the Bone Marrow of folks, and since using Blood as substitute for Printer Ink would require large amounts of the said blood, that would mean we would need large amounts of bitches to cut. A great way to get bitches to cut is Chickens. They reproduce fast, they have side products(meat and eggs) and they produce lots of delicious blood that we can use for our printing needs. I say we should immediately utilize Chickens for blood harvesting.

Watcher
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I do the same thing. Color ink is too expensive and I just use fast draft or fast normal for most documents. No need to waste ink on things that don't need a quality print.

Far as my ink goes, I hit up eBay for cheap third party cartridges. Might try taking them to Costco since they added the refill service for $9 I think.

Costco has a refill service? That rocks.

I will have to check it out next time. 9 bucks isn't too bad at all, though doing it yourself is even cheaper. I think my kit was 8 bucks shipped and I refilled 3-4 times. The ink smells horrible though but meh it goes away. :fap:

This isn't the kit I got but i may try it next time: http://amzn.com/B000IDBULM

That is a lot of black ink.

Good tip on the Refurbished ones. You can get those off amazon too, usually for 1/3 the price of new ones.

DrSinn
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
IronSightSniper, do you come in EVERY thread and shit it up with stuff like this or something?

Imperial
06-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Costco has a refill service? That rocks.

I will have to check it out next time. 9 bucks isn't too bad at all, though doing it yourself is even cheaper. I think my kit was 8 bucks shipped and I refilled 3-4 times. The ink smells horrible though but meh it goes away. :fap:
http://costcoinkjetrefill.com/

Costco lists the fee as $7.99 or $9.99 for HP, Dell & Lexmark cartridges. I'd refill mine, but I'd rather not poke the cartridges with needles and screw something up!

IronsightSniper
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
IronSightSniper, do you come in EVERY thread and shit it up with stuff like this or something?

I do not see how I am shitting things up.

DrSinn
06-09-2010, 07:44 AM
You come into threads, and make asshole or egotistical remarks, some of which aren't contributory to the thread

/thread