PDA

View Full Version : My new sig

Onichan
05-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Yes, i know it doesn't have the Quartermaster minibar in it.

fuck you

I will add it later

other than that what do you think?

Pimptastic
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
i dunno what protest you are supporting but alot of them are a good cause

Onichan
05-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Protest? wtf do you mean 'protest'?

The flower is a poppy.

The poppy's significance to Remembrance Day is a result of Canadian military physician John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red colour an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed of trench warfare. A Frenchwoman, Anna E. Guérin, introduced the widely used artificial poppies given out today. Some people choose to wear white poppies, which emphasises a desire for peaceful alternatives to military action.

In Canadian tradition, the poppy is worn by many members of society during the two weeks prior to November 11. Until 1996, poppies were made by disabled veterans in Canada, but they have since been made by a private contractor.

In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland the poppies are the flat Earl Haig variety with a leaf. Wearers require a separate pin to attach the poppy to their clothing. Because the poppy honours soldiers in the British Army, in Northern Ireland it is worn primarily by members of the Unionist community.

In Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Scotland the poppies are curled at the petals with no leaf. The Canadian poppies consist of two pieces and a pin to attach them to clothing. The head portion of the pin is bent at an angle in a simple unusual design that requires a unique machine at manufacturing. For many years the centre of the Canadian poppy was both black and green (from two small concentric circles made of felt - the outer was green and the inner was black); current designs are black only.

In Sri Lanka in the inter-war years, there were rival sales of yellow Suriya (portia tree) flowers by the Suriya-Mal Movement on Remembrance Day, since funds from poppy sales were not used for Sri Lankan ex-service personnel but were repatriated to Britain. However, nowadays poppy sales are used for indigenous ex-service personnel who have been disabled in the ongoing civil war.

McCrae's poem "In Flanders' Fields" was written upon a scrap of paper upon the back of Colonel Cosgrave, in the trenches, during a lull in the bombings on May 3, 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, the day before (as recited to his grandson). The poem was first published on December 8, that year in Punch magazine, London.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Arcadian Empire
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Cookie.

Goalintos
05-31-2008, 07:19 AM
I like the red poppy... We also get pink/purple ones in this country, altho the red does have it's significance...

And oddly enough, I have a teatowel with the Flanders Fields poem...

Woody
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
lol tea

JakeGreenThumb
06-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Opium... Yum