The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Lord Windmark
Taoiseach of Clan Dalcassian

Nation: Regnum Saoirse
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Lord_Windmark

Default Blasphemy Referendum

So now that were over the hurdle of the ABortion Question in the Republic of Ireland, our government has decided to continue to trust our judgement and try to remove yet another part of our constitution, although this one is not what it seems.

Apparently in there somewhere is a section that makes it illegal to perform acts of blasphemy against god and is punishable by fines of up to 25,000. Cant wait to see what the Yes/No percentage is going to be in October!

Nations Recruited for The Legion: XXIV

Served as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from 5th June 2018 - 9th September 2018
Served as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 9th September 2018 - 25th of July 2020
Served a 2nd term as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 25th July 2020 to May 2021
Served 2nd term as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: March 1st 2022 - Present

Umbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Lord Windmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae

Discord name: happy5214

Default Re: Blasphemy Referendum

Criminalization of "blasphemous acts" is antithetical to any secular state that guarantees even the most basic freedoms to its residents. As Ireland has no established religion and guarantees the free exercise thereof, this provision needs to be repealed.
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

I assume it will still be illegal to bring up hate-facts and wrong-think about the joys of multiculturalism.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
I assume it will still be illegal to bring up hate-facts and wrong-think about the joys of multiculturalism.
This.

However as a religious person I'm against this one, even though I think Ireland made the wrong call on abortion. I'm against the state having the power to define 'blasphemy' because its like hate speech laws. Which can be twisted to mean anything and control free expression.

Free speech has to have only the most limited of controls placed upon it(Such as calls to violence), or else it is far too open to be abused by whatever political party is in power.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
mojo882

Nation: kolsara

hilarious that blasphemy laws still exist in civilised countries
Unjust WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator Award
mojo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
Tomonkey4

Nation: Topian Collective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
because its like hate speech laws
Trevor Noah reported about someone in South Africa who was arrested for hate speech. She used the SA equivalent of the N-word over 30 times first. Slippery slopes can be terraced, so we can have rules that keep people respectful (or at least not provoked to violence) without it being oppressive.
If you need more evidence, just look at the moderation rules of Reddit.
Nuclear Survivor
Tomonkey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Lord Windmark
Taoiseach of Clan Dalcassian

Nation: Regnum Saoirse

Discord name: Lord_Windmark

The blasphemy law has been to voted to be removed from our constitution. Go team!

Nations Recruited for The Legion: XXIV

Served as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from 5th June 2018 - 9th September 2018
Served as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 9th September 2018 - 25th of July 2020
Served a 2nd term as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 25th July 2020 to May 2021
Served 2nd term as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: March 1st 2022 - Present

Umbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Lord Windmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomonkey4 View Post
Trevor Noah reported about someone in South Africa who was arrested for hate speech. She used the SA equivalent of the N-word over 30 times first. Slippery slopes can be terraced, so we can have rules that keep people respectful (or at least not provoked to violence) without it being oppressive.
If you need more evidence, just look at the moderation rules of Reddit.
I'm not even for government enforced 'respect'. As I said I come from a religious background but if someone is out there as many atheist comedians exist whose whole stick is making fun of religions. Thats their right, I won't watch them and some of them may even devolve into the crudest of the crude however it shouldn't be illegal.

For example I and anyone else should be able to call Muhammad the prophet of Islam a pedophile, because according to his own holy book he is one. However, some groups would call that a blasphemous statement and not protected free speech because it provokes a group to violence.

Let that sink in, stating a fact is provoking a group to violence and thus shouldn't be allowed. Do you agree Galileo should have been placed under house arrest by the Catholic church for his heliocentric theory because it provoked the Catholic church and its adherents to violence? Should Martin Luther King have shut up about civil rights as it provoked KKK members to violence?

Or should we have a society where we can argue all day about difficult and possibly offensive topics, and maybe make some real gains as a society?

Does Free Speech for all mean some unsavory people get to say really nasty things or silly people like Alex Jones get popular among some folks? Yeah, but the alternative is far far worse. I'll take Free Speech with the threat that people will say really nasty things about myself, my religion, race/ethnic group or what have you because its the only thing that ensures I am able to speak myself.

Now I will not say I'm a free speech extremist (although I'll likely be painted one) you don't have a right to put a loud speaker in front of my house blaring your message at all hours. Thats called a captive audience and is already ruled upon by US courts, that it has certain (and I am loathe to use the word) reasonable restraints.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
blasphemy, referendum