The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Kinofp
straight up bog

Nation: Avinyon
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Physics question

So I have a rocket that accelerates constantly from 0 to 45% the speed of light. I know that it has to travel 6 light years from Earth to Barnard's Star.

I need to know how long it takes for the rocket to get there and I need to know how long it appears to take from an observer on Earth.

Is there any more information I need? (if I need the ship's mass, I'm screwed)

If nobody wants to do the math for it can someone at least direct me to the equation I need? THANKS.
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonEconomics General Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Kinofp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
IronsightSniper
Legion's Resident AppleJack

Nation:

Default Re: Physics question

How fast is it accelerating?
Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
IronsightSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

You need the time dilation equation.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
deathbiter

Nation: Arrakis2

Discord name: deathbiter

You have to use 2 equations the first one is V^2=Vo^2 +2a(X-Xo)
V= final velocity = 135000000 m/s
Vo= initial velocity = 0 m
a=acceleration = ?
X=final distance = 5.67 * 10^16 m
Xo= initial distance = 0
The second equation is V=Vo +aT
Vo= initial velocity = 0
a= acceleration = 0.160714286 m/s/s
T=time ? in seconds
The final answer that I came up with is 26.63622522 years. This is not taking into account the force of gravity of the stars and the planets. As for the second part my guess is just add 6 years to the above number since that is how long it would take for light to reach Earth from that distance. You might want to check my math yourself and make sure I did everything correctly but it should be correct.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Serious Legionnaire
deathbiter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Kinofp
straight up bog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbiter View Post
You have to use 2 equations the first one is V^2=Vo^2 +2a(X-Xo)
Vo= initial velocity = 0 m
a=acceleration = ?
X=final distance = 5.67 * 10^16 m
Xo= initial distance = 0
The second equation is V=Vo +aT
Vo= initial velocity = 0
a= acceleration = 0.160714286 m/s/s
T=time ? in seconds
The final answer that I came up with is 26.63622522 years. This is not taking into account the force of gravity of the stars and the planets. As for the second part my guess is just add 6 years to the above number since that is how long it would take for light to reach Earth from that distance. You might want to check my math yourself and make sure I did everything correctly but it should be correct.
Thanks for going through this.

I'm not a pro at physics, but do these equations take relativity into account? It looks like they're Newtonian (but please prove me wrong).
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonEconomics General Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Arcadian Empire
The Legion's Resident Pikachu

Nation: Arcadian Empire

Discord name: Arcadian

Quote:
I need to know how long it appears to take from an observer on Earth.
For that part, you need the time dilation equation - I believe.

The other part - not sure, because that wasn't in the Physics I did in high school.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireMost Active Legionnaire
Arcadian Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Kinofp
straight up bog

Is it this?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
deathbiter

Nation: Arrakis2

Discord name: deathbiter

"I'm not a pro at physics, but do these equations take relativity into account? It looks like they're Newtonian (but please prove me wrong)."

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the above, but these equations along with another one are the ones that I learned at the start of the year in my physics class. They are used to describe motion in one dimension (a straight line) with a constant acceleration.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorM*A*S*H MedalIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Serious Legionnaire
deathbiter is online now   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
physics, question