The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Entertainment & Technology

Entertainment & Technology Discussion of music, games, movies, and computer technology.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Daniel48
Expungo Maelstrom

Nation: Firemark
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Question About PIC/Arduino

Hello,

I'm starting to get really into programming with using different hardware and I was looking to buy http://www.nerdkits.com/. To start off with and not spend a large amount of money. Does anyone have advice if that would be a good place to start or would have any other advice for a novice.

Thank You in Advance,
Daniel
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarNuclear SurvivorEconomics General Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Daniel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire

Discord name: Imperial

Default Re: Question About PIC/Arduino

If keeping costs down is an issue, you'd probably be better off buying your components somewhere else for a cheaper price. For example you can get a multimeter for about half the price on amazon. Then grab a web tutorial and continue forward like you had a kit.

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Daniel48
Expungo Maelstrom

Nation: Firemark

I was just gonna get there kit with the programming cable, bread board,lcd, the micro
its like 70 everything else i can get or have already. I looked at a kit at the hobby store that came with the ardunio board and lcd and lots of other stuff(Servos and motors and sensors but couldn't decide which one i should ge
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarNuclear SurvivorEconomics General Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Daniel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS
10th Legion Gemina...Julius Caesar's Men

Nation: TERRA ROMANORVM

Discord name: Josephivs

I suggest you look into PIC kits, such as

1.) http://www.newark.com/microchip/dv16..._merch=Popular Products&in_merch=Popular Products&MER=PPSO_N_P_EverywhereElse_None

also

2.) http://www.newark.com/microchip/dm18..._merch=Popular Products&in_merch=Popular Products&MER=PPSO_N_P_EverywhereElse_None

and a bit higher-end micro

3.) http://www.newark.com/microchip/dm32..._merch=Popular Products&in_merch=Popular Products&MER=PPSO_N_P_EverywhereElse_None

PIC is a little bit more expensive than the ones I saw on your links but they got great stuff for beginners. I actually have #2 because I used the PIC18 microcontroller for a smart power supply design project and it is a great, easy to program chip. You can also go to www.microchip.com. They have a lot of options for PIC microcontroller kits of all kinds. Whatever you end up getting if you need any help in microcontrollers, programming, interfacing (external circuits/applications),etc, let me know. I mostly can help in interfacing cause I SUCK at programming , especially in assembly language. Almost flunked my microprocessors class in bachelor's ...anyway feel free to ask anything.

EDIT: If you go with PIC micros, PIC16 and PIC18 kits are the best for beginners. Anything higher than 16 bits it gets more difficult.

MOST IMPORTANT EDIT : I read more into the nerdkits you posted and they are excellent. It has an 8 bit high-performance micro that is end so it's easier to program for beginners and from what I read here: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/pr...p?part_id=3303 it has a lot of memory for a chip it's size so basically it's perfect for you. And the price you said, I think it's $70 it's more than reasonable so GET IT MAH FREND! ...Later when you wanna get deeper into microcontrollers go with PIC's and much later Motorola HC12.
Tetris WarIch Dien Silver AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service Citation

Last edited by JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS; 08-04-2011 at 12:32 PM.
JOSEPHIVS MAGNVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Presldent Marin

Nation: Presldent Marin

Discord name: PresidentMarin

Alliance:
The Last Republic

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spams spam spam spam
Presldent Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Legionnaire

Nation: Legionia

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Entertainment & Technology

Tags
pic or arduino, question