The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
Melidan
The love child of Ayn Rand and Barry Goldwater

Nation: Melidan
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Large Oil discovery in North Dakota

http://www.commerce.nd.gov/news/detail.asp?newsID=29

Strange that I didn't hear about this till last night on the radio (date shows April).. 4 billion barrels heh? Go get it! Oh wait, Demoracts in Congress or the Environuts will probably put the kabosh on drilling to protect the fornication habits of field mice or sumtin.. Aw well, BOHICA.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Melidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Pimptastic
Banned

Nation: Clockwise

Discord name: Anti-Clockwise

Default Re: Large Oil discovery in North Dakota

meh wont effect me when i move out im building a 10k watt solar farm on my roof so ill get an income of about 3 pounds a day from that after my usage and then the cost of the panels will be displaced by the savings on various taxes as ill be A* energy rating

No need for a car either take the train 100% electric here
Pimptastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Klaus von Ausburg
Hunter in the dark. Zeta Zeta Zeta Ori!

Nation: Bavarian Empire

Yeah, honestly... let it go... because any other tap of oil will just distract America from getting away from oil to begin with...
WSA War
Klaus von Ausburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Imperial
Who this?

Nation: The Imperial Empire

Discord name: Imperial

Oil shale, fun. It is still like giving a sinking ship an extra 5 minutes to evacuate.

Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Lincongrad
I ask only for the strength to defend my pixels.

Nation: Lincongrad

Yeah, not using alternative sources is dumb. But there's about six people in both dakotas, and possibly three bears, and that's about all. So we can just move those bears and then they'll be able to drill to their heart's content.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarTetris WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Lincongrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Melidan

DAMNT PEOPLE! All I keep hearing is oil bad, oil bad! Stop using it! Everyone is bitching about high gas prices, and something comes along which could lower them everyone ignores it and says invest in alternative energy. No kidding! BUT IN THE MEAN TIME we can be drilling and flooding the market with more supply, therefore LOWERING the price WHILE WE PREFECT alternative technologies.

I knew when I made this post that would be the only responses I get... GEEEEEEEZ.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonDonator AwardForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 06-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Klaus von Ausburg

But adding oil to the market isn't going to lower it... the issue with the prices is that these companies have banned together to screw us for every penny we are worth. If you want to fix oil prices what we need to be doing is demanding our government pull a Theodore Roosevelt and start trust busting the oil industry.
WSA War
Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Lincongrad
I ask only for the strength to defend my pixels.

Nation: Lincongrad

While in an ideal situation I'd support flooding the market, our government is so controlled by automobile and oil lobby groups that unless alternative energy research is FORCED, it won't happen.
Great War IIIThe Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarTetris WarEquilibrium WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceInternal Affairs General Service Citation
Lincongrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Melidan

Adding supply, doesn't lower the price..? I think I learned the opposite in my Econ 101 class.

Oil companies aren't to blame for prices. The market sets the price, not the oil industry. Increased demand from China and India, coupled with low refining capacity in the United States and supply interruptions... This has been decades in the making. Any economist will tell you that.

If you want to blame a specific group, you can blame oil speculators for driving up oil market futures. But there wouldn't be any interest in the oil market from these speculators and hedge funds if the demand wasn't so damn high from China/India, who are the midst of their industrial revolution.

http://www.avelegio.net/forums/showp...97&postcount=1
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Klaus von Ausburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melidan View Post
Adding supply, doesn't lower the price..? I think I learned the opposite in my Econ 101 class.

Oil companies aren't to blame for prices. The market sets the price, not the oil industry. Increased demand from China and India, coupled with low refining capacity in the United States and supply interruptions... This has been decades in the making. Any economist will tell you that.

If you want to blame a specific group, you can blame oil speculators for driving up oil market futures. But there wouldn't be any interest in the oil market from these speculators and hedge funds if the demand wasn't so damn high from China/India, who are the midst of their industrial revolution.

http://www.avelegio.net/forums/showp...97&postcount=1
But that isn't true... there is a steady supply of oil constantly leaving the oil fields. Oil companies very much are at blame... record high profits in the billions are showing they are charging more and more over the actual price of oil. And if the true spirit of '[state] capitalism' was actually being follwed, why doesn't one company suddenly lower their prices and make up for any 'loss' in the sheer volume purchessed. Instead every gas station in a region have the exact same prices no matter what company owns it. That is because there is no real competition... it is based off of who has more spots opened in their lot. This is exactly what the rail road companies tried to do when TR shut them down, and it is what the oil companies where doing almost exactly 100 years ago when they got split up for forming trusts.

Econ 101 is a happy rainbows and unicorn farts world where capitalism actual works and the spirit of competition actually takes place. Understand, Capitalism is just as unlikely as Communism, because in its true form law and money are synonymous. These oil companies are not competing anymore. Supply will only lower the price if the company actually lowers the price. The whole issue is due to the fact that we are only now starting to get anywhere with alternate fuels, when we should have started decades ago.
WSA War

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
dakota, discovery, large, north, oil