The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Entertainment & Technology

Entertainment & Technology Discussion of music, games, movies, and computer technology.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
SpecialMike
oaty the dimejizz

Nation: Alemania
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: Need a new computer

Want to remind us what your motherboard and power supply are? That's a pcie 3.0 card, which will work in a 2.0 slot, but at a bit of a performance loss.

Spiced Rum War Vet

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Distinguished Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
SpecialMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #62
killer04
Dinky Doo

Nation: Iwait

Discord name: killer04

what card do you have now?

Quote:
[20:55] <~Wenulu> i will have to invest in a new stalker
[20:55] <&killer04|Legion|HMFIC> manoka does a good job
[20:55] <~Wenulu> omg
[20:56] <~Wenulu> no thanks ill keep you
Quote:
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> fuck it, if i have to declare war because of this i will
[20:14] <TzarRob[Imperator]> let em have it
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
killer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #63
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nation: The Shelter

Discord name: TzarRob|Legion

This is my current card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130625

Great for when I first got it, but now that I am trying to play high def movies and play slightly more graphically demanding games, it's reaching it's peak. I also have a large HD monitor.

I'll recheck my motherboard in a second. My power supply is 900W I believe. I got a huge PS.

----------

I didn't even check the slot configuration, so I'll have to do that later after work.
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Tzar Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #64
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

This is my current (partial) rig:

GPU
Intel i5
Motherboard

With my new desired GPU, this would be my new rig:

GPU
Motherboard
Same i5 as before.

Is it advantageous to swap the Intel to an i7 while I am replacing everything else?
Coalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarNSO WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #65
SpecialMike
oaty the dimejizz

Nation: Alemania

If you have the money for an i7, go for it. Its not really necessary for games, really only video editing, or other general workstation type activities.

Spiced Rum War Vet

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Distinguished Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
SpecialMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #66
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

The only difference between my i5 and an i7 that I am seeing if 2MB greater L3 cache and hyper threading. Also an intergrated memory controller, whatever the fuck that is

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialMike View Post
If you have the money for an i7, go for it. Its not really necessary for games, really only video editing, or other general workstation type activities.
I have a hard time justifying getting it if its not going to do much for gaming? Is it smart to get it now or should I wait a few months and just buy a mobo that I can swap the i7 into.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #67
LordDagon
Legion's Aurelius

Nation: The Nation of Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
The only difference between my i5 and an i7 that I am seeing if 2MB greater L3 cache and hyper threading. Also an intergrated memory controller, whatever the fuck that is

----------

I have a hard time justifying getting it if its not going to do much for gaming? Is it smart to get it now or should I wait a few months and just buy a mobo that I can swap the i7 into.
The only problem you have is, if you were to get a new processor down the road you should get a mobo that supports the next generation of processors. lga 1155 isn't what is used in 4th gen i3,5,7 processors so with that mobo the best you could use is an ivybridge, though if you did get a compatible mobo you would have to get the processor as well, as your current one would not fit the socket.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty Award
LordDagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #68
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Nobody told me that I would have to clean install windows when I get a new motherboard.

Oh well, at least the GPU is in :stillcounts:
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #69
phate408

Nation: Belgrade

Discord name: Phate

Alliance:
Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Rob View Post
Nobody told me that I would have to clean install windows when I get a new motherboard.

Oh well, at least the GPU is in :stillcounts:
This is by no means a definitive fact, but I was under the impression that all changing the motherboard required (on a retail license, not an OEM) was a re-activation.
phate408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #70
Tzar Rob 
Killer's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate408 View Post
This is by no means a definitive fact, but I was under the impression that all changing the motherboard required (on a retail license, not an OEM) was a re-activation.
Basically, my computer shit the bed when I swapped out the motherboard. I did some digging online and basically because I switched motherboard companies (Gigabyte --> Asus), it was going to be 10x harder. I am going to send the Asus back and buy a Gigabyte and see if that will make it any easier.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Entertainment & Technology

Tags
computer