The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default NASA astronaut Scott Kelly spent a year in space.

I'm sitting at the head of my dining room table at home in Houston, Texas, finishing dinner with my family: my longtime girlfriend Amiko, my twin brother Mark, his wife, former US congresswoman Gabby Giffords, his daughter Claudia, our father Richie and my daughters Samantha and Charlotte. It's a simple thing, sit ting at a table and eating a meal with those you love, and many people do it every day without giving it much thought. For me, it's something I've been dreaming of for almost a year.
I contemplated what it would be like to eat this meal so many times. Now that I'm finally here, it doesn't seem entirely real. The faces of the people I love that I haven't seen for so long, the chatter of many people talking together, the clink of silverware, the swish of wine in a glass – these are all unfamiliar. Even the sensation of gravity holding me in my chair feels strange, and every time I put a glass or fork down on the table there's a part of my mind that is looking for a dot of Velcro or a strip of duct tape to hold it in place.
Share on Facebook SHARE
Share on Twitter TWEET
<li class="social__link">
Scott Kelly inside a Soyuz simulator ahead of his mission. This capsule would be his escape pod in case of a disaster. Photo: NASA/Bill Ingalls/Courtesy of Penguin Random House It's March 2016, and I've been back on Earth, after a year in space, for precisely 48 hours. I push back from the table and struggle to stand up, feeling like a very old man getting out of a recliner.
"Stick a fork in me, I'm done," I announce. Everyone laughs and encourages me to get some rest. I start the journey to my bedroom: about 20 steps from the chair to the bed. On the third step, the floor seems to lurch under me, and I stumble into a planter. Of course, it isn't the floor – it's my vestibular system trying to read just to Earth's gravity. I'm getting used to walking again.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
<li class="social__link">
Scott Kelly and partner Amiko in Red Square, Moscow. Photo: Courtesy of Penguin Random House Australia "That's the first time I've seen you stumble," Mark says. "You're doing pretty good." A former astronaut, Mark knows from personal experience what it's like to come back to Earth. As I walk by Samantha, I put my hand on her shoulder and she smiles up at me.
I make it to my bedroom without incident and close the door behind me. Every part of my body hurts. All my joints and all of my muscles are protesting the crushing pressure of gravity. I'm also nauseated, though I haven't thrown up. I strip off my clothes and get into bed, relishing the feeling of sheets, the light pressure of the blanket over me, the fluff of the pillow under my head.

All these are things I've missed dearly for the past year. I can hear the happy chatter of my family behind the door, voices I haven't heard for a long time without the distortion of phones bouncing signals off satellites. I drift off to sleep to the comforting sound of their talking and laughing.
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
astronaut, kelly, nasa, scott, space, spent, year