The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Gun control

one of my favorite arguments about death in our world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica

Default Re: Gun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDesade View Post
one of my favorite arguments about death in our world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
Chris Rock does have a point. Artificially increase the price of something and people will buy less of it. For some that is a flaw, others a feature. It reminds me of Obamacare and how I went without health insurance for 2 years.

For what it is worth, I would say a bullet tax would be an unconstitutional infringement on people's natural right to defend themselves as enshrined, but not provided, by the Second Amendment.

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #3
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about law as much as he was concerend about us surving

I am a australian so we knocked out the ability mass shoot or posses weopns of mass humaritarian death a while ago.

I understand culling and hunting but why the excess of home protection?

----------

Personally if i were to protect my family i would choose hollow ponts for stopping power or armor piercing to make sure they bleed out. But apparently ,for the most part, the type of ammunition is regulated.

Why not the guns?

----------

apologies if i seem incoherent

i'm on hold with a phone call, emailing, having a conversation, and replying to you online

----------

i'm home now

this conversation of nations preference about possession of weapons is now of no interest

you do whatever

me too
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
Old 08-16-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

I'll be working for six hours yet so I don't have time to discuss anything at length until I'm done. As much as I would like to...

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroponce View Post
I'll be working for six hours yet so I don't have time to discuss anything at length until I'm done. As much as I would like to...
there is no better way i could have an argument

better to forget than say you didn't mean it
Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDesade View Post
I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about law as much as he was concerend about us surving

I am a australian so we knocked out the ability mass shoot or posses weopns of mass humaritarian death a while ago.

I understand culling and hunting but why the excess of home protection?

----------

Personally if i were to protect my family i would choose hollow ponts for stopping power or armor piercing to make sure they bleed out. But apparently ,for the most part, the type of ammunition is regulated.

Why not the guns?

----------

apologies if i seem incoherent

i'm on hold with a phone call, emailing, having a conversation, and replying to you online

----------

i'm home now

this conversation of nations preference about possession of weapons is now of no interest

you do whatever

me too
I'll confess I didn't watch the act just now but I've seen it before. It's funny, but the notion of "bullet control" necessarily implies a legislative action or executive regulation with the force of law. I only thought a discussion of law was germane, especially given the name of this very thread. I, too, am concerned with my survival, which is why I responsibly carry a handgun.

Mass shootings, while shocking and tragic, are extraordinarily rare compared to all shootings, which are rare compared to automobile accidents. There are hundreds of millions of firearms in the USA and, by far, the vast majority of them never seen use outside of recreational facilities. That poor woman in Charlottesville was run over by that neo-Nazi that doesn't deserve even a name. I don't think anyone has called to ban cars.

The government, whether federal, state, or local, is ill-suited to determining what each and every person needs. I might live in a small community and only need a small revolver. I may live in a bigger city and worry about getting mugged by a gang, thereby needing a pistol with hollow points with the ability to execute a few fast reloads. Maybe I live on a farm where the sheriff is a half hour away and the only thing between my family and a criminal of nefarious intent are the weapons I have handy. People say, "You only need so many shots," but you really need as many as it takes to stop a threat.

As far as hollow points go, the USA has a patchwork of laws. In Indiana, for instance, they are unregulated. I carry JHPs myself when I am out and about. Every state is different, and in some areas even cities have their own prohibitions. And this inconsistency in law is not limited to ammunition. The possession of certain firearms is prohibited in various states on the basis of ammunition capacity frequently. Sometimes the limit is 10 rounds, sometimes 8, or 7 or even 6! The limits are truly arbitrary. Machine guns (where you hold down the trigger and the gun keeps firing) have been so heavily regulated that it is a de facto ban. Would you believe that when the law that registers machine guns was originally proposed, it defined a machine gun as a firearm with a capacity of greater than 12 rounds? That just goes to show you how these laws outlawing capacities and features are truly arbitrary.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Well I love standup, having lived in Melbourne for a few years.

Jim Jeffries on Gun Control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

I'm not going to bother debating the issue. Tried it on avelegio several times years past, always got heated and repetitive. Just here for the comedy this time!

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
control, gun