The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Dark Force

Nation: Justice
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Alliance:
World Task Force

Default Re: The Latest Move for Obama: Advancing science at what cost to our humanity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNoble View Post
For years and years religious and morale beliefs have slowed down science. However once something works the beliefs seem to change. This will be no different.
So the US should become a-moral then?

Religion has nothing to do with it. They (Scientists) have played with their embryonic stem cells making grandiose promises that they have yet to deliver on anything even trivial. However, when they have experimented with adult stem cells, they made very little promises, and are still delivering beyond what they are expecting from further research. Why poor money down something that has time and time again proven worthless and sacrifice the one thing that separates humans from animals: our sense of right and wrong?

“I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
- James Madison

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Dark Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Villalba
Ill nail those traitors to the senate floor

Nation: Nueva Esparta

Default Re: The Latest Move for Obama: Advancing science at what cost to our humanity?

Good that he unblocked funding, perhaps now there is some sense of dignity in research. Oh and did i forgett that allready you can make a stem cell, without the sacrifice of the embryo.
Coalition WarIch Dien Silver Award
Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #23
FreeMason
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Nation: Sexi Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Force View Post

Religion has nothing to do with it. They (Scientists) have played with their embryonic stem cells making grandiose promises that they have yet to deliver on anything even trivial. However, when they have experimented with adult stem cells, they made very little promises, and are still delivering beyond what they are expecting from further research. Why poor money down something that has time and time again proven worthless and sacrifice the one thing that separates humans from animals: our sense of right and wrong?
Right and wrong are subjective. Ideas on good and evil differ from person to person. Simply put: there is no moral high ground. There is only the sense of stubborness which comes from believing that you are in the right.
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
FreeMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
McQuillen

Nation: McQuillen

Quote:

You have to put money into it because bad equipment will usually mean bad results. It'd be like telling a crime scene investigator to find blood that had been washed away but he cant use Luminol or phynothalene because we dont have the money for it. Dont expect them to find anything.

Also, the sense of right and wrong depends on the person. I think denying someone even the slightest chance of curing an ailment they have because you think its a worthless venture, is wrong.
McQuillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #25
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
No, actually adult stem cells are not equal in this area, they are actually superior. Adult stem cells have already proven themselves as viable and produced results, on the other hand embryonic stem cells have produced nothing. Personally, if your actually getting results from adult stem cells, why not fund that? You have a greater chance of return than the other.
Keep in mind that Adult stem cells also have an 8 year head start on embyrionic stem cell research. Most people couldn't/wouldn't fund something that was libal to get their government grants cut, so they went with their other option. Also, just going with people thought that Adult stem cells had almost no potenetial, and they do, so how much more do you think embrionic stem cells will have, given that those were the intal best bet?

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
David Ben-Gurion
Veteran Financial Despot

Nation: Swiss Confederation

Discord name: David Ben-Gurion

Me and my bio teacher had a fight about stem cell research today. She was talking about how great it is now we will be able to cure cancer and paralyzed people will be able to walk. So I laughed at her and said Britain has been doing it for the last 8 years and they are no farther than we are. Also, your facts are wrong it wasn't banned there was just no public funding going towards it. Ignorant fucks in the schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire
She sits down and then I say, "Okay, I'll help you with maths now?"

She looks at me and says, "Please leave, you're a distraction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadian Empire
She encouraged me to get onto Tinder... and she said she matched up with random guys but she'd never take it any further. Meanwhile I only matched with bots or with girls who would unmatch with me after I said something. Oh well
Coalition WarKarma WarSecond Unjust WarODN WarMaroon WarNSO WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardIch Dien Lifetime AwardOutstanding Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDonator AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
David Ben-Gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
Villalba

if you don't want your nation looking for solutions on cancer, mental retardation, and paralysis, then i have to seriously doubt your judgement. Stem cell research is still being developed, so this is a good move, not a bad one. And cutting funding is about the same as prohibiting development. If you cut funding to your infrastructure it will decay and die.

Really this funding business. The reason those nations in Africa are so undeveloped is because of lack of funding. If the government doesn't fund then that government is corrupt.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

If you can't get the embroys to get the stem cells, you can't do research on them. Even though thousands of eggs perfect for that job are litterally thrown away in the trash every year, putting them to some use would be bad, because there's more honor to be found with old tuna-salad than dying for potentailly lifesaving research.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
Villalba

Are you kidding me? There is more honor on having a baby and throwing it on the garbage like some abusive mothers do? Than putting the embryo to some use and safe lives?

Of course pro life will allways go with the religious right. Taking away the rights of a woman to her body, it is either their way or the way to hell. That has been their slogan for generations.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #30
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

All I'm going to say is that if you are "pro life" and we should outlaw abortion and stemcell research, and you post something like that in this thead, I will save it, and bring it up every time you complain about "big government".

Not attacking any one person, just saying.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
advancing, cost, humanity, latest, move, obama, science