The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Barcelona Spain attacks

so, i'm really late commenting about this but did i really give us this much time?

a terror attack where we rest?

we argue for ages about our response and yet people accuse us of being inactive

holiday:ironic

R
.I.P
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia

Default Re: Barcelona Spain attacks

I was watching My prime minister recently

In response to these attacks

I am very proud of my GM

He failed very little given the handle he had

job well done

all other leaders failed miserably

but is early days
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
mojo882

Nation: kolsara

spain is such an odd target
Unjust WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator Award
mojo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Thrash

Nation: Machas

Discord name: Thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo882 View Post
spain is such an odd target
but it's not... the most ironic thing was I read this in the early morning before the attacks. it was bound to happen, and yet it still continues even after the initial attack.. when will Europe begin to realize? They need to take a page out of Trump's book and build the wall. I'm glad my homeland (Poland) at least has some sense. No open arms to "refugees", no terror attacks.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...migrant-crisis
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
but it's not... the most ironic thing was I read this in the early morning before the attacks. it was bound to happen, and yet it still continues even after the initial attack.. when will Europe begin to realize? They need to take a page out of Trump's book and build the wall. I'm glad my homeland (Poland) at least has some sense. No open arms to "refugees", no terror attacks.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...migrant-crisis
Polands gov is walking a very fine line, not just with their refugee stance but with the EU at large and their own political system. Personally I find their stance disgusting as do most Polish people I know who are ashamed of their Polish ancestry at this point. Asylum is a human right. To deny it is a crime.

Trump's wall is never going to happen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
Just a historical side note. Spain has been a battle ground area between European and Islamic forces for over a thousand years. In the year 711 Muslim forces conquered the Iberian peninsula and it has been a battle ground area for most of that time. Historically speaking in a broad sense anyway.
Everywhere people live has been a battleground "historically speaking in a broad sense"

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
Everywhere people live has been a battleground "historically speaking in a broad sense"
Fair enough on that. I was simply stating that religious themed attacks in the area are fairly common with major religions at play in the area. For example a Christian or Islmaic attacker in the city is not odd historically speaking but a Buddhist mob would be.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
bitermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
Fair enough on that. I was simply stating that religious themed attacks in the area are fairly common with major religions at play in the area. For example a Christian or Islmaic attacker in the city is not odd historically speaking but a Buddhist mob would be.
On the contrary. I am not familiar with any other religious attacks in Barcelona. Unless you consider Franco or the Republicans particularly religious. I guess the Spanish Inquisition was, and before that the Moors and other Invaders such as the Romans, Hannibal or the Greeks. But they all had their own pantheon's and though no doubt one could argue that their religions motivated their conquest or violence, other factors seem stronger and more convincing.

People keep wanting to paint Islam as a religion of violence but few take the time to consider that these people are traumatised by years of war and suffering unfathomable to us in the west, often from wars the west has inadvertently started or at least had a hand in (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria). Try to remember that you have your own veterans committing suicide and sometimes taking others with them. The problem is not religion but no integration, opportunity and hope for these people. Youth unemployment in Spain generally speaking is around 30%

----------

Edit: actually 40% though no doubt worse for refugees

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
Polands gov is walking a very fine line, not just with their refugee stance but with the EU at large and their own political system. Personally I find their stance disgusting as do most Polish people I know who are ashamed of their Polish ancestry at this point. Asylum is a human right. To deny it is a crime.

Trump's wall is never going to happen.

----------

Wrong. Poland belongs to the Poles. They have every right to decide who they allow in. And considering the huge spike in terrorism and sexual assault that come with allowing the Saracens to invade, Poland is clearly taking the morally responsible choice.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
bitermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
Wrong. Poland belongs to the Poles. They have every right to decide who they allow in. And considering the huge spike in terrorism and sexual assault that come with allowing the Saracens to invade, Poland is clearly taking the morally responsible choice.
No. International law may not mean much in America these days but here in Europe we still try to uphold it. They are in violation of Schengen, UDHR and the 1951 convention on the status of refugees. Look up non-refoulement.

Also your suggestion of Saracens invading shows you are living 500 years in the past. I'd hazard a guess that you've never actually met a Muslim...

Old 08-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

Just a historical side note. Spain has been a battle ground area between European and Islamic forces for over a thousand years. In the year 711 Muslim forces conquered the Iberian peninsula and it has been a battle ground area for most of that time. Historically speaking in a broad sense anyway.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
attacks, barcelona, spain