The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Re: Barcelona Spain attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
Fair enough on that. I was simply stating that religious themed attacks in the area are fairly common with major religions at play in the area. For example a Christian or Islmaic attacker in the city is not odd historically speaking but a Buddhist mob would be.
On the contrary. I am not familiar with any other religious attacks in Barcelona. Unless you consider Franco or the Republicans particularly religious. I guess the Spanish Inquisition was, and before that the Moors and other Invaders such as the Romans, Hannibal or the Greeks. But they all had their own pantheon's and though no doubt one could argue that their religions motivated their conquest or violence, other factors seem stronger and more convincing.

People keep wanting to paint Islam as a religion of violence but few take the time to consider that these people are traumatised by years of war and suffering unfathomable to us in the west, often from wars the west has inadvertently started or at least had a hand in (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria). Try to remember that you have your own veterans committing suicide and sometimes taking others with them. The problem is not religion but no integration, opportunity and hope for these people. Youth unemployment in Spain generally speaking is around 30%

----------

Edit: actually 40% though no doubt worse for refugees

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
DanDesade
déjà vu all over again

Nation: Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
...you have your own veterans committing suicide and sometimes taking others with them...
bitermer

I would be very careful when writing something so provocative

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
Poland is clearly taking the morally responsible choice.
the amount of rage this sentence provokes.

----------

thank you bitermer for your thoughts and acumen

it is tiring to express oneself and then have to explain yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitermer View Post
No. International law may not mean much in America these days but here in Europe we still try to uphold it. They are in violation of Schengen, UDHR and the 1951 convention on the status of refugees. Look up non-refoulement.

Also your suggestion of Saracens invading shows you are living 500 years in the past. I'd hazard a guess that you've never actually met a Muslim...
Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDonator AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardRecruitment Service AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardSpammiest Legionnaire
DanDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDesade View Post
bitermer

I would be very careful when writing something so provocative
That was the point, but I felt that seeing these people as traumatised veterans of war zones may help to humanise them in the eyes of those who would scapegoat refugees as islamists, criminals and terrorists. People who have had such terror and suffering inflicted upon them will naturally have difficulty putting it behind them.

I am not excusing terrorists actions. I just want to make it clear that they are human and didn't get this way "because Islam". It's natural to stereotype as it will simplify for understanding. In the face of such senseless violence we all ask why and search for reasons. But nothing is ever so simple.

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner

Last edited by bitermer; 08-19-2017 at 02:06 AM.
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
attacks, barcelona, spain