The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Legion Lounge Off-topic discussion, relaxation & spam.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default What board games are you in to?

I figure that there have to be some favorite board games among us gamers. I am fond of various strategy games: Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Ticket to Ride. My all time favorite is Battlestar Galactica Board Game (sadly out of print). Last weekend I got to play Pandemic: Legacy for the first time and it was truly something new in my eyes. Finally, my wife and I enjoy Firefly Board Game for all the cheesy tv references.

What do you all like?

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Alexander Kerensky

Nation: Strana Mechty

Discord name: Alexander

Default Re: What board games are you in to?

Fortune & Glory is a very fun pulp style adventure game (and will be back in print in Aug)
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardEducation AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardMost Serious Legionnaire
Alexander Kerensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

http://www.avelegio.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51273

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
happy5214 
Econ Chief

Nation: Manitae

Discord name: happy5214

Family Game Nights always become disasters in my house. My brother doesn't like board games, and we always feel forced to play. We also have some sore losers in my family.

We have several different versions of Monopoly (original, Here and Now, Air Force, SpongeBob, Junior). We also have original and SpongeBob versions of Life. We have an effectively unopened copy of Catan that I convinced my parents to get. We tried to play a round-robin of checkers, but we never finished. For someone of my intelligence, I lack the foresight needed to be an effective chess player. I've lost every game I've played against competent opponents.

In short, I'm not much of a game person apart from this and Simutrans.
happy5214, by the Grace of the Imperator and the Consul of Internal and Economic Affairs, Senator, Chief Economic Coordinator, Director of Trades, Chancellor of the Treasury, and Chief Censor, Voter of Team Proposals, Enactor of Purple Sanctions, Executor of Financial Policy, Organizer and Protector of the Circles, Comptroller of Allied National Resources, Head Merchant of Tech, Bringer of Aid, Expander of Nations, Collector of Statistics, and Analyst of the Game.

For today, we aid. For tomorrow, we tech deal. For all, we trade. Forever, wir dienen.

Vivu feliĉe kaj amike, parolu la veron, kaj elektu la bezonojn de ĉiuj anstataŭ viajn.

Ave Legio.

While I have worked to improve the quality of The Legion, I have accumulated the following awards:

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionDefense Medal of ValorDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardEconomics Distinguished Service AwardEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationMost Active LegionnaireMost Serious LegionnaireMost Improved Legionnaire
happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

Man, it's been a while since I found time to play board games. I actually bought one of those new Advanced Squad Leader starter kit more than one year ago to try with my wife—I used to play the old Squad Leader when I was younger—and didn't get to play it yet.

What I said in this other thread remain true. Agricola, Dominion and Eclipse are my three favourites.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy5214 View Post
We have an effectively unopened copy of Catan that I convinced my parents to get.
Whaaat? Open that and play it, I order you! Not the simplest game to learn when you're not used to European style games, but definitely worth the effort.

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Immerael
The Legion's Resident Demi God

Nation: Goldoa

Discord name: Immerael[TheLegion]

I play chess against everyone I can. I love the game but no one will play with me anymore given I'm the only one who likes it a great deal, I got better than everyone else thus leading to me winning easily. I tried online chess but it just can't quite replicate the feel of moving a piece on a board for me.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarSnake Eyes WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDistinguished Donator Award
Immerael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #7
JayMillz

Nation: Curel

Discord name: JayMillz[NpO]

Alliance:
New Polar Order

I have a future version of Risk called 2210 A.D. It's a lot of fun, and the addition of water and moon colonies, commanders and command cards, and energy income makes the game a lot more deep. Also, the game ends after a set number of turns, which makes it a lot less time consuming than original Risk.

I don't consider myself a board game person, though.

Here's a Risk-like game I play from time to time: http://gamedesign.jp/games/dicewars/
Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
Mogar

Nation: Mogatopia

Discord name: Mogar

Alliance:
RAGE

Diplomacy 1914 is one of my favorites
Mogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
tom the pit leader
Brutal Despot

Nation: there be rabbits

I like RISK, even though it's a terrible game. It's much better with a dice rolling app.

Dominion (while technical not a "board" game) is one of my favorites. Not that I'm any good at it.

Ticket to Ride is fun, and I'm actually decent at it. Power Grid is also good.

The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossGeneral Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonHero of the LegionGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service AwardForeign Ministry Service RibbonInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
tom the pit leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kerensky View Post
Fortune & Glory is a very fun pulp style adventure game (and will be back in print in Aug)
I looked that one up; it sounds amazing. Is the cooperative mode fun? I have a friend that I like to play with who doesn't handle confrontation well (she's the one who introduced me to Ticket to Ride).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scozy View Post
Whaaat? Open that and play it, I order you! Not the simplest game to learn when you're not used to European style games, but definitely worth the effort.
+1, Happy. You will not regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerael View Post
I play chess against everyone I can. I love the game but no one will play with me anymore given I'm the only one who likes it a great deal, I got better than everyone else thus leading to me winning easily. I tried online chess but it just can't quite replicate the feel of moving a piece on a board for me.
Computer chess doesn't do it for me either. I was an avid chess player through high school but I'm super rusty these past ten years. I tried playing with my wife but she doesn't like how I take my turns so seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMillz View Post
I have a future version of Risk called 2210 A.D. It's a lot of fun, and the addition of water and moon colonies, commanders and command cards, and energy income makes the game a lot more deep. Also, the game ends after a set number of turns, which makes it a lot less time consuming than original Risk.

I don't consider myself a board game person, though.

Here's a Risk-like game I play from time to time: http://gamedesign.jp/games/dicewars/
That Risk game looks extremely tempting. My wife would kill me for buying another Risk style game but it looks different enough I might get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogar View Post
Diplomacy 1914 is one of my favorites
I've never had the opportunity. Is it suitable for a large group? How does it compare to classic Risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the pit leader View Post
I like RISK, even though it's a terrible game. It's much better with a dice rolling app.

Dominion (while technical not a "board" game) is one of my favorites. Not that I'm any good at it.

Ticket to Ride is fun, and I'm actually decent at it. Power Grid is also good.

What is Dominion like? Also, some of my favorite games are in fact card games. I own maybe eight varieties of Fluxx.

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge

Tags
board, games