The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Forum Games

Forum Games Want to raise your post count? Add to the spam with our posting games.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #1
Alexander Kerensky

Nation: Strana Mechty
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Alexander

Default Legion Movie Draft (Draft)

Draft order will be as follows:

Round 1
  1. Thomond
  2. Deadpockets
  3. Marktidewater
  4. Alexander Kerensky
  5. Pyroponce
  6. Sekkendou

Round 2
  1. Sekkendou
  2. Pyroponce
  3. Alexander Kerensky
  4. Marktidewater
  5. Deadpockets
  6. Thomond

Round 3
  1. Thomond
  2. Deadpockets
  3. Marktidewater
  4. Alexander Kerensky
  5. Pyroponce
  6. Sekkendou

Round 4
  1. Sekkendou
  2. Pyroponce
  3. Alexander Kerensky
  4. Marktidewater
  5. Deadpockets
  6. Thomond

Rules:
  • A snake draft will be used, which goes from top to bottom, bottom to top, etc.
  • Players will draft four (4) movies representing any genre
  • Participants will have 12 hours to make each selection
  • If a participant misses a draft pick they may make that pick at the end of the draft
  • A second missed pick will result in removel and any selections going back into the pool
  • If you are not able to post you may leave your pick with a proxy member to pick on your behalf
  • It is helpfull to provide links to you pick (youtube/IMDB/piratebay)

The draft timer will begin after the first selection is made by Thomond.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardEducation AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardMost Serious Legionnaire

Last edited by Alexander Kerensky; 03-06-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Alexander Kerensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Alexander Kerensky

Default Re: Legion Movie Draft (Draft)

Thomond will be away/low activity for a couple days so the selection passes to Deadpockets.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardEducation AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardMost Serious Legionnaire

Last edited by Alexander Kerensky; 03-06-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Deadpocketss

Nation: Lance

Discord name: Deadpocketss#1337

The pressure of first pick is real... I made a list of about 20 movies to pick from and I was hoping it'd get whittled down a bit before I had to pick one.. So many good movies..

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Has to be my favourite movie of all time. Peter Sellers's improvisation, the comedy style, the fact that it actually influenced policy changes. I really think Kubrick was one of, if not the best director of all time. I could go on about this movie with trivia and quotes and "did you know" type stuff.

For instance, did you know that when Maj. Kong is reading off the ration kits, he says "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all that stuff."; the line originally read "Dallas" instead of Vegas, and you can see his lips say Dallas but they went back and voiced over the line because of the Kennedy assassination?

ODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarUmbrella WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Gold AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service Ribbon
Deadpocketss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
MarkTidewater

Nation: Tidewater

I also had trouble deciding what movie I wanted to pick, as there are quite a few good ones out there. I went through my older films, and came up with this silly but pretty good gem.

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049169/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

This cheesy flick has to be one of the most recognizable B-Movies of the 1950s, and it wouldn't look out of place on the big screen at a drive in theater.
Under the somewhat silly effects of flying saucers held up by fishing lines and the gratuitous use of stock footage is a fairly common story: The humans meet aliens, who threaten to destroy the world, and the humans got to find a way to defeat them. There is, however, some pretty great effects for the time, such as the effect when the aliens vaporize tanks and buildings. While it has not aged well, and it's pretty run of the mill for 50's alien movies, it's a great little flick for having a good laugh when you want to see people driving cars in park, a flying saucer managing to wedge itself into the House of Representatives, and B-50s that magically become B-17s when they explode (And using a Lewis gun as defensive armament to boot)

Also the iconic scene of flying saucers flying over the IRS building makes quite a few people laugh.
Maroon WarSnake Eyes WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty Award
MarkTidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Alexander Kerensky

My first selection will be:

Metropolis (1927)

It’s an epic poem of urban dystopia (and class warfare) by a misanthropic director who, in his Weimar Republic phase, had a taste for spectacular imagery that, for all our modern digital wizardry, has not been aesthetically surpassed. And his imagined world remains, after all these years, eerily prescient.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica

Shoot! It’s my turn.

My first pick will be The Princess Bride. Originally a novel by William Goldman, this 1987 film is truly something special. It includes “fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles!” A fan-favorite and cult classic, this movie was quotable by me even as a child and from my youth on up. The idea that any list of best films ever made would not include this epic romantic adventure comedy fairytale would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable.

Below is a link to the 30th anniversary trailer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5T3MrgMXU4

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
Sekkendou
Great Sage Equal to Heaven

Nation: Guilder

My first pick will be The Shawshank Redemption

There will hardly ever be a discussion about the greatest films of all time without this film coming up. The story of an intelligent, kind, yet jilted man falsely accused of murder in the late 1940's is well crafted and showcased. The character development, writing, scenery and of course performances of the actors are phenomenal.
Maroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear Survivor
Sekkendou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
Alexander Kerensky

My next draft choice will be Citizen Kane (1941)

Anyone who calls themselves a fan of film will know this film and the now famous term "Rosebud".

I will figure out what more you require as we go along with this game. At this point I'm still unsure how someone wins a round. lol

AK Edit: This was Sekkendou's selection as the first pick in the second round, next up is Pyroponce
Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #9
Pyroponce
Will argue for sammiches

Nation: Apostolica

My next pick is Schindler’s List (1993). This true, gripping WWII drama is about businessman Oskar Schindler, portrayed by Liam Neeson, who sets out to make his fortune working for the Nazis. Along the way though, he realizes what truly matters as he acts to save his thousands of Jewish workers from concentration camps. Director Steven Spielberg’s commitment to the accurate portrayal of the horrors of the Holocaust, combined with the ever-present threat of anti-Semitism attempting to whitewash history, make this film a must-see.

Never give up, never surrender.

No matter how badly you want to, don't be like me. Do not underfund your war chest.

Have you read CN101 lately?

Maroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardBronze Admiralty RibbonRecruitment Service AwardMost Improved Legionnaire
Pyroponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Alexander Kerensky

My next pick is another era defining movie:

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

L. Frank Baum's classic tale comes to magisterial Technicolor life! The Wizard of Oz stars legendary Judy Garland as Dorothy, an innocent farm girl whisked out of her mundane earthbound existence into a land of pure imagination. Dorothy's journey in Oz will take her through emerald forests, yellow brick roads, and creepy castles, all with the help of some unusual but earnest song-happy friends.

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > Legion Lounge > Forum Games

Tags
draft, movie