The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Lord Windmark
Taoiseach of Clan Dalcassian

Nation: Regnum Saoirse
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Discord name: Lord_Windmark

Default New York Tourism

Hey everyone! I will be travelling to New York at the end of this month for a 6 day vacation. I have never been there before and will be travelling with my mom! I was wondering if anyone has an tourist suggestions for us to go do while we are there? I have never been and want to make the most of it!! Age wise, we are both over the age to drink and do almost anything. Thanks.

Nations Recruited for The Legion: XXIV

Served as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from 5th June 2018 - 9th September 2018
Served as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 9th September 2018 - 25th of July 2020
Served a 2nd term as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 25th July 2020 to May 2021
Served 2nd term as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: March 1st 2022 - Present

Umbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Lord Windmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Lord Windmark

Default Re: New York Tourism

BUMP BUMP

Served as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from 5th June 2018 - 9th September 2018
Served as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 9th September 2018 - 25th of July 2020
Served a 2nd term as Vice Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: 25th July 2020 to May 2021
Served 2nd term as Consul of Defense and Foreign Affairs from: March 1st 2022 - Present

Umbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGeneral Government Service RibbonImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonSilver Admiralty RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs General Service CitationInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 09-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
gveil

Nation: Giantland

Discord name: gveil

What do you like to do? There are plenty of museums in the city that you could go to, spend time in central park, go visit the 9/11 memorial. Go to chinatown for a meal, little italy for dinner. Go see the flat iron building and stop by time square. See a broadway show or comedy club. Go to a baseball game up in the bronx or queens. Get on the staten island ferry (but don't get off in staten island) and see the city from the water. Go to some breweries. All in all just have fun there is plenty to do.

New Nation:

old nation:
Days Nuke Free: 160 days
Previous Record: 895 days
2 Eaten

Some old war: 1 ODN deleted, 3 in anarchy
Tetris War: Proud vertran with 6 anarchies
GOONSROLL War: 6 anarchy -2000 infra and still punching
Clusterfuck War: Final Score 4 anarchy, 2 near ZI and a personal loss of 1700+ infra
Nations ancarchied in the Karma War: Irish Federation
Karma WarSecond Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Loyalty AwardSilver Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonInternal Affairs General Service Citation
gveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
President Gunn

Nation: Acturea

Discord name: Nascar8FanGA

Alliance:
Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomond View Post
Hey everyone! I will be travelling to New York at the end of this month for a 6 day vacation. I have never been there before and will be travelling with my mom! I was wondering if anyone has an tourist suggestions for us to go do while we are there? I have never been and want to make the most of it!! Age wise, we are both over the age to drink and do almost anything. Thanks.
You should go to strip clubs with your mother

Known as Nascar8FanGA
Foreign Ministry Nation Exchange Ribbon
President Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #5
Lord Windmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Gunn View Post
You should go to strip clubs with your mother
lol that would go down well im sure!!

Old 09-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
scozy 
the bloodthirsty

Nation: Kenoland

Discord name: scozy

Here are some ideas en vrac:
  • The Bronx zoo is nice. While you're there, Fordham University is pretty, the Bronx Little Italy is cool, and Calabria Pork Store's heroes are to die for.
  • In the same area, if you are into Edgar Allan Poe or the urban history of the Bronx, the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage is interesting.
  • Ride on the Roosevelt Island Tramway
  • If you like art deco (or have no idea what it is), visit the lobby of the Chrysler Building
  • Sample all the types of foods you can't get at home. Some of my favourites are noodles and pork burgers in any Xi'an Famous Foods restaurant; pizza (Suprema on 8th Ave at 30th St is a good one); deep-dish pizza at Emmet's; expensive but sublime Roman food at Lupa; soul food (I tried Country pan fried chicken on 8th Ave and 151st St and liked it a lot, but that was a long while ago); cheese cake
  • American Museum of Natural History
  • Met Opera: Aida or La Bohème if you don't really know opera or want a classic, Samson et Dalila if you want something different
  • Brooklyn Bridge

That's what comes to mind quickly. Whenever I go to NYC, eating and wandering around are my favourite activities. All boroughs are interesting to visit (Staten Island admittedly a bit less than the others). Don't forget Harlem. Don't let people tell you NYC is dangerous, it's not anymore. Don't buy a ticket to Ellis Island until you've taken the Staten Island ferry because you might well find the view you'll get entirely to your satisfaction.

Enjoy!

Doom WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBi-cycle War MedalBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorAdmiralty Award for Peacetime ServiceDistinguished Donator AwardEconomic Program Service Award
scozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Alexander Kerensky

Nation: Strana Mechty

Discord name: Alexander

This isn't going to be the must see bucket list but it was things I have sought out in the past when I had free time in NYC.

Shakespeare in the Park: It is open air, it is free, and they have toned down the politics.
Nom Wah Tea Parlor (Chinatown): The best dim-sum I have ever had, even in china.
The Cloisters: Museum in Washington Heights, it is a completely out of place old Europian feel.
Central Park: There is a cool geocache trail that will lead you to all the spots.

Some bars to hit up:

Baby's All Right
Boxers NYC
Cubbyhole
Floyd, NY

Asking what to do in NY is difficult, you could spend weeks in just a single borough and still not do and see everything it has to offer. My best advise is to find out where you are staying exactly then talk to the concierge. Just ask for the highlights then ask their personal recommendations for non-tourist spots, and tip them well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scozy View Post
Don't forget Harlem. Don't let people tell you NYC is dangerous, it's not anymore.
I will disagree with this but it is not worth the argument. You are not local and if you are not with someone who is local I would stay away from all of the residential downtown areas any time of day.
Second Unjust WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarMaroon WarNSO WarUmbrella WarSnake Eyes WarYin-Yang WarBiPolar 2 War MedalPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardMelidan's Distinguished Service CrossOutstanding Government Service RibbonInspector General's Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonForeign Ministry Service RibbonForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonRecruitment Service AwardEducation AwardGraphical ExcellenceInternal Affairs Outstanding Service CitationInternal Affairs Lifetime Achievement AwardMost Serious Legionnaire

Last edited by Alexander Kerensky; 09-16-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Alexander Kerensky is offline   Reply With Quote

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
tourism, york