The Legion

The Legion (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/index.php)
-   Legion Lounge (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What board games are you in to? (https://www.avelegio.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53292)

Pyroponce 07-11-2017 06:54 PM

What board games are you in to?

I figure that there have to be some favorite board games among us gamers. I am fond of various strategy games: Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Ticket to Ride. My all time favorite is Battlestar Galactica Board Game (sadly out of print). Last weekend I got to play Pandemic: Legacy for the first time and it was truly something new in my eyes. Finally, my wife and I enjoy Firefly Board Game for all the cheesy tv references.

What do you all like?

Alexander Kerensky 07-11-2017 08:39 PM

Re: What board games are you in to?

Fortune & Glory is a very fun pulp style adventure game (and will be back in print in Aug)

bitermer 07-12-2017 02:11 AM

http://www.avelegio.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51273

happy5214 07-12-2017 04:12 PM

Family Game Nights always become disasters in my house. My brother doesn't like board games, and we always feel forced to play. We also have some sore losers in my family.

We have several different versions of Monopoly (original, Here and Now, Air Force, SpongeBob, Junior). We also have original and SpongeBob versions of Life. We have an effectively unopened copy of Catan that I convinced my parents to get. We tried to play a round-robin of checkers, but we never finished. For someone of my intelligence, I lack the foresight needed to be an effective chess player. I've lost every game I've played against competent opponents.

In short, I'm not much of a game person apart from this and Simutrans.

scozy 07-12-2017 05:41 PM

Man, it's been a while since I found time to play board games. I actually bought one of those new Advanced Squad Leader starter kit more than one year ago to try with my wife—I used to play the old Squad Leader when I was younger—and didn't get to play it yet. :(

What I said in this other thread remain true. Agricola, Dominion and Eclipse are my three favourites.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy5214 (Post 926639)
We have an effectively unopened copy of Catan that I convinced my parents to get.

Whaaat? Open that and play it, I order you! Not the simplest game to learn when you're not used to European style games, but definitely worth the effort.

Immerael 07-12-2017 06:09 PM

I play chess against everyone I can. I love the game but no one will play with me anymore given I'm the only one who likes it a great deal, I got better than everyone else thus leading to me winning easily. I tried online chess but it just can't quite replicate the feel of moving a piece on a board for me.

JayMillz 07-12-2017 10:51 PM

I have a future version of Risk called 2210 A.D. It's a lot of fun, and the addition of water and moon colonies, commanders and command cards, and energy income makes the game a lot more deep. Also, the game ends after a set number of turns, which makes it a lot less time consuming than original Risk.

I don't consider myself a board game person, though.

Here's a Risk-like game I play from time to time: http://gamedesign.jp/games/dicewars/

Mogar 07-13-2017 01:07 AM

Diplomacy 1914 is one of my favorites

tom the pit leader 07-13-2017 10:55 AM

I like RISK, even though it's a terrible game. It's much better with a dice rolling app.

Dominion (while technical not a "board" game) is one of my favorites. Not that I'm any good at it.

Ticket to Ride is fun, and I'm actually decent at it. Power Grid is also good.

Pyroponce 07-13-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Kerensky (Post 926624)
Fortune & Glory is a very fun pulp style adventure game (and will be back in print in Aug)

I looked that one up; it sounds amazing. Is the cooperative mode fun? I have a friend that I like to play with who doesn't handle confrontation well (she's the one who introduced me to Ticket to Ride).

Quote:

Originally Posted by scozy (Post 926640)
Whaaat? Open that and play it, I order you! Not the simplest game to learn when you're not used to European style games, but definitely worth the effort.

+1, Happy. You will not regret it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immerael (Post 926642)
I play chess against everyone I can. I love the game but no one will play with me anymore given I'm the only one who likes it a great deal, I got better than everyone else thus leading to me winning easily. I tried online chess but it just can't quite replicate the feel of moving a piece on a board for me.

Computer chess doesn't do it for me either. I was an avid chess player through high school but I'm super rusty these past ten years. I tried playing with my wife but she doesn't like how I take my turns so seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMillz (Post 926645)
I have a future version of Risk called 2210 A.D. It's a lot of fun, and the addition of water and moon colonies, commanders and command cards, and energy income makes the game a lot more deep. Also, the game ends after a set number of turns, which makes it a lot less time consuming than original Risk.

I don't consider myself a board game person, though.

Here's a Risk-like game I play from time to time: http://gamedesign.jp/games/dicewars/

That Risk game looks extremely tempting. My wife would kill me for buying another Risk style game but it looks different enough I might get away with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogar (Post 926660)
Diplomacy 1914 is one of my favorites

I've never had the opportunity. Is it suitable for a large group? How does it compare to classic Risk?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom the pit leader (Post 926675)
I like RISK, even though it's a terrible game. It's much better with a dice rolling app.

Dominion (while technical not a "board" game) is one of my favorites. Not that I'm any good at it.

Ticket to Ride is fun, and I'm actually decent at it. Power Grid is also good.

What is Dominion like? Also, some of my favorite games are in fact card games. I own maybe eight varieties of Fluxx.